Bug Mass Deletion Bug
Sad 
A few nights ago I downloaded Firefox (Clint Eastwood film) for a watch, but for some reason it scraped as a film called Benny's Video (some German film about a psychopathic kid). It refused to play, so I went to the file structure on my Synology and noted there was nothing but a Firefox.nfo file and no video file.

I went back into XBMC (Frodo 12.2 on Windows 8), navigated to Movies and deleted Benny's Video (via Confluence). It seemed to be taking a very long time to the point I thought XBMC had crashed, then it suddenly came to life...no more Benny's Video. Job done or so I thought.

I went to play a movie today and it stated the file no longer existed. Tried another, same story, and another, and another and another.

So, noting I had 501 movies, I went to Clean Library, and it went down to 217. After investigating a bit further, when I deleted Benny's Video from XBMC, it emptied out an entire directory of films, amounting to about 800Gb worth of stuff...nothing I can't eventually replace, but clearly it shouldn't have happened.

Has anyone had anything like this happen before and could it be a bug (involving trying to delete a file that doesn't actually exist or something).
It sounds more like a hard drive that's dying. I would backup the other movies ASAP and run some hard drive check utilities on it.
The clue is the movie title - Benny's Video.

It sounds like your source folder has been set as a movie folder (what's the full path?) and by removing it you've deleted it's contents.
(2013-06-24, 08:00)Hitcher Wrote: The clue is the movie title - Benny's Video.

It sounds like your source folder has been set as a movie folder (what's the full path?) and by removing it you've deleted it's contents.

I see where you're going with this, and thought that maybe that was it, but I can't reproduce such a situation.

XBMC will indeed see a subfolder called "Video" as "Benny's Video" if any movie file is directly in the "Video" folder and not in another subfolder within "Video". Deleting this movie from the XBMC UI does not touch any other movie file than the one it identified as being directly in the "Video" folder, so all movie files in subfolders were untouched. Even if you had all your movie files directly in "Videos", then XBMC would see multiple copies of "Benny's Video" and only delete one at a time.

Remove -> yes, delete -> yes = should only delete one file.
Hi, I'm not sure about hard drive failure, everything else on that drive is intact (TV Shows and Music). I made the conscious decision to only back up irreplaceable stuff such as photos, home videos and documents, that kind of thing, because, pain in the rear end that it is, anything else can be replaced...and I only have about 500Gb back up space...not nearly enough for the 3Tb of data (well...nearer 2Tb now) that I actually have.

As for the naming, the folder is simply 'Movies 2' on the root of the hard drive, set up in XBMC as a Movies source. When the deletion happened, I had a couple of movies downloading and they are now sitting in 'Movies 2' quite happily, scraped as they should be.

So...if it's scraped something incorrectly for whatever reason, and you ask for it to delete, how should XBMC behave if it can't find the file it should be deleting? To me, it was like it spazzed-out somehow and just decided to empty the whole directory.

Also, from a structure point of view, all my movies are (were) directly under the 'Movies 2' folder...no sub-folders at all and no individual folders for movies.

I'm going to download the FireFox movies again, and see what structure that had, see if that sheds light if it scrapes as Benny's Video again.

Very strange...
Check the logs on the syno.
OK...haven't checked Synology logs yet, but...

Downloaded the same file for FireFox again, and the contents consist of this;

Firefox.1982.DVD-R.orig (not a .nfo as I first thought) and a VIDEO_TS folder which if I understand correctly is just a straight copy of DVD contents...does that help diagnose?

Will look at Synology logs now...

...nothing weird in the system logs. System working fine.

...noted also that it has scraped as 'Harry & The Henderson's' this time and not 'Benny's Video'. Video path is blah...Movies 2/VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.IFO. So what I did at this point last time was to delete 'Benny's Video' via Confluence. I shall now try the same with 'Harry & The Henderson's' to see if it also removes the other two films I have in 'Movies 2'...

...done that. It emptied the whole 'Movies 2' folder again. So I've recreated the issue...
you should really look into renaming your files and sorting them properly.

Media\Movies\Firefox (1982)\Firefox (1982).ext

do you have any one else accessing your media? XBMC should not delete any media files.

you will also get that message if at anytime your network is down and the synology is unavailable,
What's the full path?
The full path is - SMB://DS212J/MOVIES 2/VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.IFO

All of my movies are named {movie}.{year}.{quality}.{ext} but aren't in their own subfolders...seemed a bit weird to have a subfolder holding 1 video file in most cases so I lump them all under 'Movies 2'.

The media is accessed by one PC and user only, hooked up by wired switches to the Synology.
Per this http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Vid...les/Movies you need movie name folders when storing dvd copies (video_ts) files, Not having a moviename folder made xbmc think MOVIES 2 was the moviename folder and it deleted everything in it.
If I have been of help, please add to my reputation as a way of saying thanks, it's free.
(2013-06-24, 21:45)Dilligaf Wrote: Per this http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Vid...les/Movies you need movie name folders when storing dvd copies (video_ts) files, Not having a moviename folder made xbmc think MOVIES 2 was the moviename folder and it deleted everything in it.

Negative, as XBMC is detecting the folder "VIDEO_TS" and not "MOVIES 2", so that still wouldn't explain it deleting anything outside of "VIDEO_TS".

VIDEO_TS also triggers "Benny's Video", while "MOVIES 2" does not.

EDIT: see below
(2013-06-25, 08:57)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2013-06-24, 21:45)Dilligaf Wrote: Per this http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Vid...les/Movies you need movie name folders when storing dvd copies (video_ts) files, Not having a moviename folder made xbmc think MOVIES 2 was the moviename folder and it deleted everything in it.

Negative, as XBMC is detecting the folder "VIDEO_TS" and not "MOVIES 2", so that still wouldn't explain it deleting anything outside of "VIDEO_TS".

VIDEO_TS also triggers "Benny's Video", while "MOVIES 2" does not.

Well, at least that's what should happen. I can confirm that it does in fact do what you said, and deleted everything inside of "MOVIES 2". Sounds like a bug to me.
Bug filed: http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/14468

Sorry for your file loss, JesusOnEez, but thank you for bringing this to our attention.
No problem. The files I can get back, and I know it's one of those bugs that's only likely to crop up on rare occasions, but it's good that it'll get squashed hopefully before it can happen to someone else.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Mass Deletion Bug0