• 4(current)
Best TV box for running XBMC
I think the best value box to run XBMC on is a secondhand 2nd generation i3 or i5 laptop with an hdmi port.
Just set the power options so that when you put the lid down, the laptop does not turn off.
Wouldn't that be expensive?
Expensive if you buy from a shop. Cheap if you buy a laptop on craiglist / gumtree.
Someone just told me about an odroid U2. That is supposed to run fast
the newest odroid is fast.faster then ouya..think its the fastest dev board out for a good price
but again prolly run into same problem cost of adding everythin in to it
and as someone else mentioned youl have bugs and or limitations but outa arm android based its the best out
for what you want dedicated box wouldnt go with anything arm android based
iv done boxes with all the way i see it better to go with something that has good dev and following
so i would say atv over the android arm based one maybe even the rpi w/basic skin over both can do 1080 staying in the cost itl just be the slowest but has good dev so less bugs an it just gets more polished
i would say build the stb yourself the older dual core atoms work awesome with openelec not a powerhouse but for the price and performance wise will get best results
i make boxes for people all the time i have really cheap dual core atoms with hdmi and small stb form white/black quite custom made that work great windows or openelec
i have a few can do for round the price you want ready to go if your interested or anyone else
can post pics what i have
let me kno
Yes give me some ideas. Also anything to gain by going to quad core?
there is and there isn't
for what you want not to much its more for if your using it for other things like gaming
my main box is quad but i use it for ...well everthing..tv gaming pc ect
for just streaming or as basic media box its prolly over kill and not really necessary
What would I be looking at in the $200 range?
i mean all depend what your willing to do
building your self .. you could prolly squeeze in for a quad core but prolly wont be quite smaill or best of the hardware
just buying out the box ready to go with good stb looking design not much if any a quad cores
dual core prolly find some ..right out the box ready to go possible def be able to make a decent build if frugal
obv no mater what way you go staying in that price range your not getting a power house machine but def can make/poss get, a decent one exp if goin with openelec
here is a few that i have the white and black are both dual core
the apple one is actually a rpi wih custom apple ui and kinda riged power button lol made it like the new unrelesed apple tv (thought id give it a try) lol
and the othe one is a quad core setup that im currently using now

sprite can is to show size and taste good to

white and black are 100-200 range depending what u get
the quad not even sure put so much into it and is my daily driver
and the rpi not even sure either lol was an experimental project that i grown to love and works pretty well
but as far as xbmc use between my quad and the dual core any variant no real notable difference ya at times the quad can be little quicker with things but nothing extreme and would have to be side by side to notice
obv the rpi is the slowest but its still work quite well exp for someone getting into it great alt for apple tv that does 1080
only thing is with the dual core no real room for upgrade on processor there imbeded on the low end but u can on the ram
the rpi obv no upgrade
but thats what i have in that price range (obv not the quad )and is smal with stb design
i also have another box it was my first htpc build its just barebones but looks more like a cubed radio or something and is a lil bigger never did anything with it and never tried selling it because just big most people want small cheap affordable i sell mostly as streamers why dont really need a powerhouse system unless your goin for gaming and pc use things like that eve thought if u put windows or linux o the others will run emulators just fine
I got a pivos and I'm amazed that it can't play some files I had on my hard drive my atv 2 plays just fine.
Any reason I shouldn't be able to play 720p MLB file?
are you running ontop android
MLB file?
Did someone tried XBMC on Energy Android TV Dongle?
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best TV box for running XBMC1