XBMCBuntu restrict FTP Access to one user
I have XBMCBUNTU 12.2 installed on a ION machine, where i have all my tvshows and movies.

I want to allow FTP access to a friend to a single dir.

I have installed vsftpd and the webmin module but i cant seem to manage that. Every change i make on the /etc/vsftpd.conf it seems that it doesnt matter. Does the XBMCBUNTU has a ftp server installed by itself?
Hi
Not sure this is related or any help... but if all the pc are wifi networked, some routers wont allow wireless access to other wifi pc's unless port forwarding is setup in the router...quick fix is to hardwire the xbmc box to the router then all wireless devices will be able to access it
Not the case here. Every computer are on a hard line connection.
Do you restart the ftp server after making the config changes?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Yes. If i create a user account on XBMCbuntu it also gives FTP acess to that new account. Not even chroot works.
What's wrong with using ssh? This has the advantage that his password does not go in cleartext over the wire, and your machine should handle several simultaneous connections.

If you want to stick to vsftpd, there are several tinks to look at. The first man page that google found says the config file lives in /etc/vsftpd/vsftpd.conf, so you may check that file, too, or make a symbolic link.
Or, you increase log level and have a look into the files in /var/log, do a "grep -i vstfpd *' in that directory.

I am not quite sure about your set-up, can your friend ping your xbmc-box?
The thing is i want that he can only access one single dir of my NAS. Can SSH do that?
Never tried this, but apparently yes. See http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1719094 for a step by step instruction.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMCBuntu restrict FTP Access to one user0