Req [Suggestion] Movie Set artwork conformity / standard
Lightbulb 
With the new movie sets manager built into Kodi since XBMC Frodo, I have been reading and searching and found no mention of how the artwork will be handled yet.
I have rebuilt my system a few times, and have each and every time had to re-set up the movie sets with the correct images. It can be quite a chore.
(New hard drives, combining movies from different drives ect renders saving a database useless in this case)

XBMC easily imports the sets and movies from the information I have saved in the <movie name>.nfo I have in each folder. The same holds true for all the info in the xml, the poster, fanart and other artwork. This does not hold true for the artwork for movie sets..

When you "Manage Movie" and then "Choose Art" you can select the fanart and poster by browsing your system. Unlike standard posters and other artwork, Kodi currently does not save these images when you do a database export. This leaves this section of Kodi incomplete.

I propose the following standard names be used:
<movie Name>-SetArt.jpg
<movie Name>-SetFanart.jpg

This way, when importing movies new movies into Kodi, the set artwork is also included along with all of the other files.

Yes, the artwork would be slightly redundant, as it would be saved in each movie's folder in the set. This is a small thing considering that it would take over 10,000 of the images to use the same hard drive space as a single movie.

If this has been discussed elsewhere, I apologize. I did search, however searching for "sets" and "images" turns up TONS of irrelevant results!
------------------------------------------
Intel Quad core 3.8 Ghz / Windows 11 Pro / 32 gigs RAM/ MCE Remote /20 Tb storage / Intel Iris 550 chip-set outputting 4k via HDMI to a 80" LED TV / just over 5,800 movies

Have you entered your 5 Movies? - Support themoviedb.org as THE best open source movie information site.
Almost a month later, has anyone considered this, covered this, came up with a different approach, or even included this in an upcoming build
Intel Quad core 3.8 Ghz / Windows 11 Pro / 32 gigs RAM/ MCE Remote /20 Tb storage / Intel Iris 550 chip-set outputting 4k via HDMI to a 80" LED TV / just over 5,800 movies

Have you entered your 5 Movies? - Support themoviedb.org as THE best open source movie information site.
Seems no interest yet from any dev for this http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...tiple+sets
Yea uNiversal, It is kind of disappointing, as it is a "gap" in the XBMC capabilities. I find my self having to redo my database now and then, when moving movies around, adding new hard drives and such. It is a PAIN to have to re-do the movie sets each and every time. I gave up for the most part, as I spent soooo much time getting each one correct, going through the movies one by one.

I have subscribed to the thread you started, and hope someone pays more attention to that one than this one Wink

The last work on this was done over a yaer ago, and its unlikely Gotham will fully support this, since the code is now on feature freeze readying for beta release.

Its not as simple as adding a naming scheme for the art, thers way more involved and because there is possibly UI work not many can do it.

You need a developer to add the database rows and support necessary.
You need a developer to add the necessary updates so that scraper API polls this info from online db like TMDB.
You need a developer to add the XBMC UI code to core... I think.

That is of course then standardise the naming scheme to whatever suits. You need SetPoster and SetFanart btw.
I do not pretend to know how the core code would work to handle this, but from what I have seen, shy of the scraping, is already in place. Scraping can come later, as I don't think as of now any of the main sites have "databased" the set art. Much like the clear art & logos were when support for them was added. People had to source them on their own.

- The Transparency! skin, and many others already support the Sets Art.
- XBMC allows you to choose the Set Art the same as Fanart and Covers from the Graphics Context Menu.
- The art displays correctly when scrolling through movies.
- XBMC has the option under settings to "Group Movies in Sets"
- When a movie is added to a set, that information is added to the XML when an Individual File export is done.

The one problem that remains is the ability to save the art, or import it back when saving and loading movies into the database.

At one point I spent MANY hours going through every movie, and putting the code in the XML files for all of my sets, Star Wars, Die Hard, Star Trek, and on and on.... The only way to add the art is to right click on a set, choose art, and browse from the root level for every single set. All of that work was lost the next time I cleared and re-imported all the movies using the info saved in each and every movie folder. All of the Metadata, Fanart, Movie info, actors images and so forth was imported in from the folders, all except the Sets Art. The movies were all still in sets, as that is saved in the XML, but it would be a matter of adding the Set Art all by hand for the 100 or so sets.

Here is how the set art looks in XBMC in the Transparency! skin.

Not true... TMDB has Movie set art.
Seems to be faulty, shouldn't that be Peter Sellers?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-01-26, 00:14)nickr Wrote: Seems to be faulty, shouldn't that be Peter Sellers?

No, LOL! These were the remakes with Steve Martin.

Yeah my point was they are a COMPLETE travesty LOL.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Yet another year & 3 main releases later and now a newly named XBMC -> Kodi, and NOTHING on this gap in XBMC.

Oh wow.. your contributions to project are staggering in this year past.

I agree this is a bit neglected but you sound somewhat unreasonable.
John perhaps you should stop dropping your database!
(2015-03-17, 12:46)uNiversal Wrote: Oh wow.. your contributions to project are staggering in this year past.

Your incorrect questioning of my contributions to XBMC / Kodi is what I find unreasonable. Sure, I am no programmer, so I am unable to help very much in that area. However, I have contributed more than 340 Fanart's for Music artists and contributed then to htbackdrops.org. I created a handful of box sets for movies that did not have them and uploaded those to https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8411...llery.html I created around 100 fanarts that were missing for movies that I have, and shared them with TMDB. I have spent countless hours painstakingly cutting out and creating ClearArt and ClearLogo's in Photoshop for countless TV shows and movies and uploaded those to Fanart.tv . I have shared edits with skins that I have done. One of those was a clear overlay that displayed on top of the movie cover to give it a glassy look. Ronnie took my code, and ran with it, and eventually created the Transparency skin after getting involved with skinning from that little bit of code.

I am not bragging here, and I do not want a cookie. I simply do not want someone randomly accusing me of not contributing to this project. Get your facts straight, thank you.

This project is this project, other projects that this project may or may not use directly or indirectly are just that, 3rd party projects. So on that note my observation is correct by your own explanation.

However my remark, was based on your comments whining which sound starting to sound unreasonable.

I agree this is a bit neglected and again focus your attention to the most important part of my post where it explains why that remark was made. See bolded/red and underlined quote

(2015-03-17, 12:46)uNiversal Wrote: Oh wow.. your contributions to project are staggering in this year past.

FYI the whole movies sets meta/fanart feature requires: xml scraper regex / MYSQL/SQLITE and skinning skills and maybe a touch of C++ skills.

Regarding the art portions, I also make tmdb and tvdb contributions and try to contribute wherever I can to kodi as it requires more than just coders to contribute.. Thank you though for your contributions to the online databases and whatever else, Im sure its appreciated at some level.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Suggestion] Movie Set artwork conformity / standard1