Solving over/under 3D playback issues
Hi,

While setuping my XBMC box, I've struggled a lot to set up correct geometry of video.
There's no decent faq on setting up proper image resolutions (or at least I didn't find one).
And while searching internet for configuring steps, I've met a few really bad advices, which
only confused me and contributed their deal to the problem.

The problem was that I couldn't properly play 1080p over/under 3D video - image geometry was distorted.
And once I've enabled 3D processing on TV,this resulted in different vertical offsets of left and right frames.

So wanted to share solution for peopl who might struggle with same problem.

0. Get a good test video file with 1920x1080 resolution. Video should have NO black borders
written in the video itself (Many movies DO have such black borders, so pay attention).

1. Disable overscan in TV. This is manufacturer depended. In Samsung
this is done via Menu->Screen Adjustment->Picture size->Screen fit option.

2. Disable any XBMC zoom - System->Settings->Appearence zoom -> set to 0%.
(does not affect video, but can be annoying for XBMC navigation)

3. calibrate video to 0 settings: System - settings - vide output - video calibration.
Make sure that all overscan compensation are set to 0s.
Set pixel ratio adjustment to 1

4. Now while playing video you should go to video settings and set video settings view mode to either original
or normal (better for non-full HD playback). If you have video file as described in step 0, then it should fit nicely to your screen without any
black borders.

In my case problem was caused by pixel ratio set to 0.96 in calibration settings.
As a result, even with "original" video playback settings, full HD was not displayed correctly -
there were black borders on top and bottom of image, which caused problems when TV splitted over/under video for 3D image.
this is on the list for gotham. it's not implemented right now.
see http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=147285
opdenkamp / dushmaniac

xbmc-pvr [Eden-PVR builds] [now included in mainline XBMC, so no more source link here :)]
personal website: [link]

Found a problem with PVR? Report it on Trac, under "PVR - core components". Please attach the full debug log.

If you like my work, please consider donating to me and/or Team XBMC.
Yep it is pretty fundamental for the whole HTPC setup thing that you

1. disable overscan on your TV

2. run your TV at it's native resolution

3. don't fiddle with any zoom or overscan or calibration settings in XBMC. They shouldn't be needed at all with relatively modern TVs where you can switch overscan off.

These are important for 2D viewing, and even more so for 3D.

O/U and SBS 3D are supported in XBMC right now, although not menus or subtitles (unless the subtitles are specifically 3D).
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2013-06-28, 05:28)nickr Wrote: O/U and SBS 3D are supported in XBMC right now, although not menus or subtitles (unless the subtitles are specifically 3D).
menus are pretty vital for using xbmc ;-) but yes, you are correct that video can be played already ;-)
opdenkamp / dushmaniac

xbmc-pvr [Eden-PVR builds] [now included in mainline XBMC, so no more source link here :)]
personal website: [link]

Found a problem with PVR? Report it on Trac, under "PVR - core components". Please attach the full debug log.

If you like my work, please consider donating to me and/or Team XBMC.
Yeah but menus don't need to 3d to work. You do need to switch modes on your tv though.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Solving over/under 3D playback issues0