xbmc on xbox one
i couldnt find anything through search on this topic.

initially i thought it was a bit premature to start this topic, but i saw this quote from microsoft: "If you want to know about how to get a head start about thinking about developing for Xbox One, the logical thing to do is go build Windows 8 applications," said Guggenheimer.

obviously it is still speculation. but does this mean it could be possible to have a xbmc on xbox one? the idea of kinect motion controls with xbmc wide range of file compatibility and libraries is really exciting to me. i am fairly confident ms won't support x264 playback, they seem so stubborn on the subject. i am certain they wont support playback from rar or other archives. but would something like this mean third party developers could?
In theory sure. In practice: probably not. It requires time effort from XBMC devs, and also Microsoft to approve it, which they have so far said they won't allow indie devs to self publish. There are rumors however they will announce they've changed that this week.

Similarly with PS4, again, it's possible, and they *will* allow self publishing. Again though: requires dev effort. Plus there's always a chance Sony could say no.
Sony didnt allow anything for PS3....(not without JB) why would they change now??
so im guessing makeing an app for windows 8 is significantly different then creating a program that windows 8 can run?

i did not know they had the publisher requirement for apps. i would have figured with them being so far behind ios and android in terms of apps they would remove as many restrictions as possible.
Yeah, they're talking about the metro type apps, so it's highly doubtful that XBMC would be able to run without major work.
how much demand would there have to be before devs considered or started working on something like that?

is there an issue with ms requirements and potential costs and how xbmc is open and free?
I bet you wont be able to play mkv's on a xbox one, let alone install software that can play the vast majority of media types out there, and at the same time allowing a user to easily bypass ms's content delivery system (which theyll no doubt be making money from).

Also, you can probably buy several raspberry pi's for the price of one xbox one game, which dont come with terms and conditions regarding how you use the hardware that you paid for and own.
(2013-06-30, 01:28)kobenator Wrote: how much demand would there have to be before devs considered or started working on something like that?

is there an issue with ms requirements and potential costs and how xbmc is open and free?

The only requirement is a dev to be interested. Demand doesn't really matter if there isn't anyone interested in doing the work, since XBMC is made by volunteers. All the platforms and devices that we support now are because someone came along and wanted to develop for that platform.
i was thinking the same. that is the stance they have taken with x360. i am hoping things may change with this generation as there could be significantly more third party app dev support. i am anticipating a lot of subsidized xbox ones with 2 year cable contracts.

i dont need another device so rasberry pi is not needed. i already have a htpc that runs xbmc great. but i plan on eventually getting an xbox one and some of the kinect features are just awesome.
If we get more details on viability and confirmed dev interest ping me about getting an Xbox One for the dev. Hope to hear from someone in the foundation in November.
In my opinion, the best way to get xbmc content on the xbox would be to utilize the upnp server upgrades that alcoheca is working on. Once he builds the transcoding capabilities into it, an xbmc remote app (very much like yatse for android) could be developed for the xbox and could include streaming through the transcoding upnp server. Yatse on android already has streaming capability built-in, but due to no transcoding available in xbmc yet, it relies on using an external player (mx) for playback.

(But then again, plex already does this as they have a transcoding server and an existing windows 8 app that streams)
So MS have just announced they'll allow indies to self publish on XBOX One. Not sure if that is just for games, or if it'll also apply to apps. Anyone know?
With Games, bluray, tv, kinect, skype & possibly Xbmc this would the One box to rule them all!

Could xbmc eventually go full circle and end up back on the xbox one?
This would be multi tasking media heaven!

Since indie devs can self publish and updates are free, I imagine it could be doable if ms doesn't have any issues with it.

Just for the record I would pay for an xbmc app!

You could release a limited feature one for free and a premium version for a fee if you need to generate funding for the project.

Anyway, I'll continue to cross my fingers and dream of xbmc on xb1
Download X-cite_V0.3 - 13th June 2007
Download from Rapidshare
Or
Download from Megaupload
Quote:I imagine it could be doable if ms doesn't have any issues with it.

LOL, even if someone other than XBMC team overcame all the technical hurdles, I would think MS would have some pretty big issues with it. MS intentionally crippled the Xbox 360 media playback in favour of online streaming, they don't care about something like XBMC and all their media partners would have kittens when they looked at the plugins section.

Not gonna happen.
Supposedly each console can act as a xbox one development kit.

In theory that means people could just side load xbmc if MS didn't approve it to be published through the marketplace.
Download X-cite_V0.3 - 13th June 2007
Download from Rapidshare
Or
Download from Megaupload

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
xbmc on xbox one1