Noob needs help understanding DVR and XBMC
Hi all, have a few questions concerning mediaportal and xbmc. **Warning feel like a total noob even though I used to run XBMC on original Xbox many moons ago.

After much research, I plan to go back to an XBMC setup. I've been using a PS3 to stream movies. The PS3 works great with Universal Media Server (PS3 Media Server), and, I never have issues with huge 1080P files nor 3D files. However, I'd love to go with an all in one solution i.e. AIO Media Center (stream 1080p and 3D movies, in addition, watch live OTA TV and DVR shows).

So here goes:
At the moment, my office computer, which has my external 3tb HDD with my Movies, music etc..., is a windows 8 pc. I'm thinking of getting the HDHomerun Dual ATSC tuner to watch and record OTA programs using Media Portal. Of course, the HDHomerun can be watched only on PCs and not directly on a tv. So I decided I need to build some sort of HTPC for my Living Room and Home Theater.

So here's my very NOOB questions:

1. If I'm running the latest XBMC on my 2 new HTPCs, will they be able to access live tv and the recorded programs on my PC running Media Portal? I think I read where they themselves can't record, but maybe I read wrong.

2. If the above situation does work, would I be running Xbox (Linux) on the HTPC (basically as the OS)?

Once again, sorry for such noob questions
MediaPortal ONLY runs on Windows, so I presume your Windows 8 machine will be the back-end server and then you will have two clients? Your two clients can run any OS (Windows, Linux, etc...) At the moment, I have three clients running OpenElec (special build of Linux & XBMC) that is very lite and performs well.

Now to your questions...

(2013-07-01, 19:06)jhr1948 Wrote: So here's my very NOOB questions:

1. If I'm running the latest XBMC on my 2 new HTPCs, will they be able to access live tv and the recorded programs on my PC running Media Portal? I think I read where they themselves can't record, but maybe I read wrong.

2. If the above situation does work, would I be running Xbox (Linux) on the HTPC (basically as the OS)?

1. The backend MediaPortal will record all the shows and store them. The clients will access Live TV and recordings from the server. (note: the client can also reside on the server, it doesnt have to be two different machines.)

2. Again, you can run Windows, Linux, XBMCBuntu, Ubuntu, OpenElec or Android on your client machines. Note: Not all OS's run on all machines well.

Wile E.
XBMC PVR Addon Unofficial Builds for Frodo Nightly Builds.
http://www.dotnetdevelopers.net/xbmc

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Noob needs help understanding DVR and XBMC0