• 97(current)
Support Thread for libstagefright
Mateo81,
So I was reading it correctly, Now what I find odd is that My Minix Neo X7 with pre 0.10b firmware and Gotham stable on I get np at all with hd content playback with either bot module enabled or just 1 at the time and I can say that about 20 odd of us are the same as me.
libstagefright poor cropping interlaced frames. if source are interlaced there still remains some lines.
sheepybach,

The problem is not new, it´s very well documented, searching on the web you can find different notes or post from people asking what to do with the problem of HD videos frozen at 10 min mark whilst the audio continue or other where the HD content that even does not start to play. The case referenced is for HD content, streaming from internet source through the addons into XBMC. I have not use to play HD content from any local media, I use it only for streaming into XBMC; so, I don´t know if playing from local media there are not problems; I don´t know if is your case. I have in one of my Minix Neo X7 the final 010 FW and in the other a 4.4.2 kitkat custom rom.
The nightlies build from beginning April I think in some of them I had noticed the problem apparently had not present, but when the Gotham reached RC versions and this final the problem appear again, and at that time as well I had been using pre-010b FW.
Can you confirm what is the source of the HD content that you say does not have any problem at all? is through a local media storage, NAS, etc or is streaming from Internet? And what is the version you call Gotham Stable, is the final loaded on 05/May?. Thanks.
Mateo81,
I stream direct and don't download any content. XBMC Gotham 13.0 5/5/2014 Stable release.
Yes I know the 10min bug has been around for a while as I've had it on my ouya and a few of my tablets and have do testing et al to try and fix it which now seems to be the case on my tabs, not checked ouya yet. I only posted the fact that since I've had my X7 I've never suffered from it.
iechyd da
Thanks sheepybach,

So the problem occurr in some specific cases from direct streaming I can conclude that it had been a matter of random selection that I had faced the problem and you do not.
There are many cases, but I can provide to you examples if you can check will be nice:
1) Direct Streaming, Movie "Reasonable Doubt (2014)", HD, LibStageFright "On" on XBMC Minix Editiion, video frozen a 10 Min - audio continue playing; in Gotham now you can use both HW accel modules "On" and this can play fine; with that fact I had believed that the problem was solved, but unfortunately then had appeared new cases;
2) Direct streaming, Movie "Pompeii (2014)", HD: on latest Gotham test with both HW accel modules "On", video frozen at 10 min - audio continue playing; then change to HW accel both modules "Off", turn "On" software accel Multi-threaded, the movie does not start to play; so, turn off HW and soft accel modules, not accel at all, the movie plays fine, the movie counter remains in 00:00:00, whilst the content is playing.
Those are concrete examples up to date; there are others, and can appear at any time when you explore the new HD content on direct streaming, we do not know exactly when would appear, but it´s a fact, it´s unfortunately occurring.
Mateo81,
Direct Streaming Test 1 :-- "Reasonable Doubt (2014)", HD 1080p 5.1 audio, LibStageFright "On" on XBMC Minix Editiion. I Stopped Film after 16mins 52secs great stream no freeze or anything.

Direct streaming Test 2 :-- "Pompeii (2014)", HD:1080p 5.1 audio on latest Gotham test with both HW accel modules "On". I stopped Film after 15mins 10secs, great scream no freeze or anything.

Direct Stream Test 3 :-- "Pompeii (2014)", HD:1080p 5.1 audio on latest Gotham. HW accel both modules "Off", turn "On" software accel Multi-threaded. I stopped the film 21mins 11secs in. film started, and played no freeze or anything.

All the above Test's were carried out on my Minix neo X7 using Wi Fi. Speed Test Result Ping 20ms,Down 34.53Mb, Up 18.93Mb
sheepybach,

Thanks, great test; where do you find the 1080p streaming for those movies to test it on that resolution? I would like to test the same content on 1080p resolution on my machines; my test, where I had faced the Hardware / Software acceleration compatibility problems were only with 720p direct streaming with 5.1 sound in one case and the other with acc 2.0; Minix stock 010 FW (720p kernel I guess) using WiFi, and the other Minix X7 KitKat custom FW using ethernet (720 p kernel); in fact I don´t have used a real 1080p kernel up to date in my Neo X7, only 720p, except for the "overlay" feature on Minix 008 FW. The percentaje of problematic content is relatively high, I can not assure how much it is, but can be close to 40%-50% of the content that I choose randomly, but maybe is related to 720P resolution. I had faced as well some less frequent problems with some SD content, specially that the content do not start to play until I had disabled the HW accel modules.
Matoe81,

The reason I'm still using pre 0.10b firmware is because I've read and know peeps who have had problems with FW 0.10 and have gone back to "b" and they don't have any problems. Some have been what you have described and a few different one's like a rainbow of colours on the top of the stream, a green line through the centre of the stream. So I would be tempted to say that could be your problem but one of your x7's is running a custom ROM so that knocks that idea on the head. Before I replied here I double check with friends just to make sure they had carried out the same test and 9/10 had and they had the same results as I did, in fact a few watched the films lol.
I'll pm you shortly.
iechyd da
Thanks sheepybach,

In fact the problem with the acceleration modules (HW or SW) into XBMC and the HD content was related to the source of the direct streaming or better said to the specific video addon used to can make the streaming into xbmc; the alternative source you proposed instead that I had been using all the time before can work properly with 1080p or 720p definition independently of the firmware used on the Minix Neo X7 or the XBMC version, so this had been solved with your guidance, thank you sheepybach. There is not any other reason related at the moment causing those freezing or not starting to play content, only the source to do the direct streaming. So, may be can be concluded that there are some video sources (video addons) optimized to work properly with XBMC (LibStageFright / MediaCodec / SW Multithreaded) and others not; and those sources that have problems playing HD content in XBMC, require to configure an external video player into XBMC. Now, I can leave as default the both hardware acceleration modules to "on" position all the times.
(2014-05-07, 14:52)sheepybach Wrote: Mateo81,
So I was reading it correctly, Now what I find odd is that My Minix Neo X7 with pre 0.10b firmware and Gotham stable on I get np at all with hd content playback with either bot module enabled or just 1 at the time and I can say that about 20 odd of us are the same as me.

Try this video sample of the problem 7.5Mb
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil...3298121020
Right JimK, the problem exist and until now there is not a fix. I had been optimistic whe I was pointed out to use different streaming sources, because some of the content had worked; but it´s a matter of look for other content and easily and much more often than rare that you will find the problem again with a lot of different direct streaming sources; this is not odd in xbmc, it´s of a common and frequently ocurrence. I´m using currently the latest v13.1 beta 2, same thing.
So far for me, I know that I have to continuosly be enabling / disabling the video accel features into XBMC to can play all the content; in fact in that way, so far I had been able to see all that I want, but is a fact that XBMC had problems with their built in Acceleration codecs and direct streaming sources, which does not exist in some private code media players even with those chinese SoC that had been told by XBMC devs that are not 100% aligned to Google API; anyway, it´s very annoying and very often problem.
I have the same problem..on my Kr42, x7 and my nexus 7, tried different roms even the 10b beta, quickshot v2, v3 , guru and different kernels..different versions of xbmc..now on the latest gotham the problem still occurs..it only happens with hd internet streams with 5.1 audio..with 2.0 it plays fine..if someone has the solutions to solve this problem please step forward Smile
@ Mateo81

Just wanted to say thank you for documenting your issues with hardware acceleration on Android. Your problems are an exact mirror of my own. Myself, I have noticed this issue much more frequently since installing Gotham 13.1 on my Ouya.

For now, I'm not sure how to set my acceleration settings for best results but I will continue to monitor this thread in hopes of a fix. Thanks for clearly describing the issue!
@mateo / i also have Minix X7

I also have tried minix Rom 6, 8, 9 *not 10 yet
Wasser Kitkat 1.0.x and QS 3.1
I also experience exactly the same problems. NOt really random, always 1080p or 720p 5.1 aac & DD. Typically on certain mashup related stuff. Never local content.
always have both codecs enabled.
i wonder, if its the same problem is 5.1 is downmixed to stereo ?

is it 100% that the problem is not there in minix firmware 10 ?
anyone tried the hardwareguru firmware ?
I have the following two Android boxes and am having this problem.

Minix X8-H (MiniX version XBMC 13.1 and the lateset XBMC nightly build installed)
Tronsmart (The latest XBMC nightly build installed)

In my case, even if I turned off both accerelaton and turned on "Software",
this problem persists for all 3 XBMC.

To check what sources are causing this problem, I checked the movie "Noah (2014)"
with a few different sources on above 3 XBMCs.

Mashup Hackermil 1080P, 5.1 audio (Mighty Upload) - No Problem
Mashup Hackermil 1080P, 2.0 audio (Billion Upload) - No Problem
Mashup Demon88 1080P, 5.1 audio (Billion Upload) - Video stops at 10 mins
Icefilms 720P, 2.0 audio (2nd Movereel) - Video stops at 10 min
Icefilms 720P, 5.1 audio (3rd Movereel) - No Problem

As you see in this results, even 2.0 audio have this issue, although many
Daemon88's 1080P videos with 5.1 audio have this issue in my experience.

I hope someone can find a solution for this problem.
  • 97(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Support Thread for libstagefright6