• 2(current)
Support Thread for libstagefright
Tested on TF700T (Transformer Infinity) w/dock.

Finally able to stream 720p and 1080p from my WHS (SMB) without stuttering!!!

Now if my WiFi speeds could only keep up!!!

Menus can be a little slow, though I think this may be more my device and the stock Asus rom than anything else.
(2013-01-14, 23:54)da-anda Wrote: Mizaki - I have the same issue with the Nexus 10, BUT I also tested one of Koying's early builds about 4 weeks ago and 1080p ran butterly smooth there without any glitches (tested up to a 8GB 1080p with DTS which was the max bitrate for my wifi) - so it's not ffmpeg but some change since then.

I should give some background info, here.

Actually, libstagefright comes in 2 flavors: Software rendering and hardware rendering
The actual decoding is common.

The first attempt was software rendering: we receive buffers in CPU encoded in a standard way, i.e. YUV. That one seems to work great on a number of devices including the Nexus 10, but then I could not get proper 1080p on my Nexus 7, probable because of a OS bug.

This was quite frustrating considering the Nexus 7 is the only device I can test with Smile

So I moved to HW rendering, where frames are decoded directly to GPU, with an opaque format. We can still intercept those to render but we cannot manipulate them. This is the current test build and the "tearing" effect is probably due to a different way of handling those GPU buffers amongst chipset vendors...

This one works great on Nexus 7 (and others, apparently).

It'll be quite difficult to blind debugging those tearing issues so otions are:
1) We revert to software rendering: I'll upload a package with this so that users can compare
2) Some dev with a device showing the issue digs in and try to find the cause
3) Users gather to sponsor me a problematic device
4) I seek sponsorship from the XBMC fondation Wink

[Edit] I should add that all common android player (MX, Dice, ...) probably use the HW rendering path.
What makes matters difficult is that XBMC is another beast than a simple player, namely because it is pure native and has its own rendering loop where decoding has to plug in...
Hi,

Tried it on a sumvision nano plus box (ICS) with both a 720p and 1080p video, and still get the same stutters as per the normal build. Tried both locally and over the network (smb).

(2013-01-15, 12:01)JeffTheGeek Wrote: Tried it on a sumvision nano plus box (ICS) with both a 720p and 1080p video, and still get the same stutters as per the normal build. Tried both locally and over the network (smb).
How to emphasize more the fact that this kind of info is worthless without a log?

Just remove those useless comments without any notice. They have been given a warning
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2013-01-14, 22:36)EoniX_DK Wrote: The screenshot link is fixed i hope Smile

Yep. Thanks, quite useful.

(2013-01-15, 12:33)Martijn Wrote: Just remove those useless comments without any notice. They have been given a warning
Right! I'll leave that one as an example of what *NOT* to do and kill the other ones coming
(2013-01-14, 03:13)Ned Scott Wrote: ONLY POST IN THIS THREAD IF YOU ARE WILLING TO BE A TESTER AND GIVE PROPER FEEDBACK (debug logs, etc).

Always post the information requested here (debug logs, etc) even if someone else has reported the same or similar issue.

(2013-01-15, 14:16)JeffTheGeek Wrote: Jees - way to welcome someone new!

I didn't attach the log as I didn't think it would show anything of any use as it is a stuttering issue rather than it crashing. I'll install the full debug version and submit the log later on today.
I don't think it could have been made more clear that if something doesn't work with video playback (independent of whether it's a crash or stuttering or whatever) either you post a log here or you don't post at all. In the end it's the devs who can/will decide whether there's something useful in the log. First of all the log will tell us whether your video playback was actually done with libstagefright's hardware rendering or if it was done with software rendering (which will lead to stuttering) and this is very important information and it will be in every log.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
Right, after being admonished for lack of info, here goes:

Log files: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=28237

Running on Sumvision Nano Slim Plus (xios ds m3 clone). Android version ICS 4.0.4.

Problems: HD video playback fails (black screen, but subtitles work). Tested with the monsters short video. (this has changed from the first build I ran which showed the video but was slow).

Process: run xbmc

- attempt to play back monsters video (stored on network drive) - black screen - subtitles appear.
- attempt to play back sd video (stored on network drive) - plays back without problem.

- go into system-settings-video-playback and turn off "Allow hardware acceleration (libstagefright)

- attempt to play back monsters video (stored on network drive) - plays back ok but very slow update (perhaps 2 frames per second?) - subtitles appear.
- attempt to play back sd video (stored on network drive) - plays back without problem.

Hope that helps, any more info needed, just ask.

Jeff.
(2013-01-15, 14:16)JeffTheGeek Wrote: Jees - way to welcome someone new!
Ned spent some time describing what is expected. If somehow you feel you don't have to follow the bullet points, least is to explain why.

(2013-01-15, 14:16)JeffTheGeek Wrote: didn't attach the log as I didn't think it would show anything of any use as it is a stuttering issue rather than it crashing. I'll install the full debug version and submit the log later on today.
It will at least tell us whether you are actually using libstagefright or the plain SW ffmpeg.
If it stutters with libstagefright, it is worth having a log.

(2013-01-15, 14:44)JeffTheGeek Wrote: Log files: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=28237

Running on Sumvision Nano Slim Plus (xios ds m3 clone). Android version ICS 4.0.4.

It's an interesting one, actually. Looks like libstagefright doesn't actually start decoding.
Does the same Video file works HW accelerated in Dice or MX?
I've tried it in MX Player (free) and it plays back ok, but I'm not familiar with the software so don't know if the HW accel is enabled or not. Plays fine with the built in media player as well.

EDIT: -Just looked into the settings and found the HW+ setting - it was disabled. I've ticked it and I now get a jerky playback.

EDIT2: - seems that HW+ isn't necessarily hardware decoding! once video is playing there is another setting available (SW / HW / HW+) - the HW setting works fine.
I have tested this build on Nexus 7 and it is working perfectly.
On Note 2 it decodes everything but it have same tearing in the upper right corner.
On ODroid U2 using JB image, the video playback is still (I think there is something wrong with the Android rom image for Odroid)
I can't provide now any logs, so please fell free to delete this post.
JeffTheGeek - give free dice player a try. On playback it will show a [SW] or [HW] icon in the top left corner of the GUI overlay which indicates software/hardware decoding.
Thanks for your work on this Koying. I've attempted this on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 7+ but, unfortunately, am only met with a black screen during all playback. When I switch back to software rendering it works, albeit slowly. As a reference, all of my movies are 720p H264 though that doesn't say a lot as I know this can vary greatly in encoding still. This same file tested works find using BS Player's HW+ codec as well as MX Player HW though I've never had much luck with any of the VLC, Dice player, or other HW decoders on this device.

The debug log can be found HERE

Cheers!

EDIT: Forgot to mention that this device is running CM10 (JB 4.1.2)
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Support Thread for libstagefright6