• 1(current)
XBMC Video Server: stream/download your library contents
Hi all,

For quite some time now I've been trying to find a good and simple solution for streaming movies (and TV shows) from my home while I'm at a friends place. I finally gave up and built my own.

https://github.com/Jalle19/xbmc-video-server

XBMC Video Server is a web interface which allows you to browse your movies and TV shows, then stream or download them directly from a nice web interface.

Features:
  • Browse and filter movies and TV shows
  • Browse seasons and episodes for a TV show
  • Stream media using an M3U playlist with one click
  • User management (application requires login), including logging to see who's doing what and restricting access based on a whitelist
  • Supports multiple XBMC instances and allows easy switching between them, including the ability to wake them using WOL if it's not available
  • No configuration files
  • Multiple languages
  • Customizable interface

Screenshots:

See the README on Github.

Installation instructions:

Follow the instructions in the README at Github to install the application.

I would very much like to get some feedback on this! Is it good, bad, worth it, not worth it, are there features missing, does something not work e.t.c? I started developing this about a week ago so don't expect any miracles, although it should be fairly bug free at the moment.

Bugs / issues

Please post any bugs or other issues you have on the Github issues page. You can also ask here if you just need general help or have a general question about anything.

Updates:

See the CHANGELOG.md file on Github for what has changed between versions. I will create a post in this thread whenever a new version is released.
I like the look and feel but I cant help wonder if you are doing work that has already been accomplished by another group. In no way am I advocating this on a opposing forum but the Plex team already has something like this in place with their product.

Have you thought about maybe trying to figure out a way to integrate this into XBMC like a backend for local and remote use?
(2013-07-04, 07:31)tallnerd1985 Wrote: I like the look and feel but I cant help wonder if you are doing work that has already been accomplished by another group. In no way am I advocating this on a opposing forum but the Plex team already has something like this in place with their product.

Have you thought about maybe trying to figure out a way to integrate this into XBMC like a backend for local and remote use?

Plex has a closed source solution that can only be used with Plex. So no, it's not work that has already been accomplished before.
Thanks for the replies, I was afraid I'd have to do a shameless bump soon.

(2013-07-04, 07:31)tallnerd1985 Wrote: I like the look and feel but I cant help wonder if you are doing work that has already been accomplished by another group. In no way am I advocating this on a opposing forum but the Plex team already has something like this in place with their product.

I've heard about MyPlex (that's what it's called right?), a friend mentioned it when I mentioned this software. I'm aware that there's probably been some wheel-reinventing going on here, although most web interfaces for XBMC that I've seen either control the library only (no downloading/streaming) or control XBMC (like XBMC's built-in default interface).
Nice project. Can it run on Windows?

I wish there was a plex media server equivalent to XBMC in the near future

If my replies help you, please click on my reputation Image below :) thanks :)
Very interesting...

Will be keeping my eye on this Smile
Very interested in this....will it work with MySQL?
(2013-07-04, 09:31)saitoh183 Wrote: Nice project. Can it run on Windows?

I wish there was a plex media server equivalent to XBMC in the near future

It can, but installing and configuring PHP and Apache on Windows is not as straight-forward as on Linux. You could try installing XAMPP and adapting the instructions in the readme to it. The import part is to put the project parts in a web-accessible directory (often on Windows this is C:\htdocs or C:\www, perhaps C:\xampp depending on what bundle you download) and running Composer to install all dependencies.

In any case, I'll install Windows in a VM and post proper Windows-specific instructions later.
(2013-07-04, 15:51)Aenima99x Wrote: Very interested in this....will it work with MySQL?

Do you mean with an XBMC instance using MySQL? If so then sure. I have had bad luck when connecting to a headless XBMC installation, although I think that's mainly an issue with path substitution.

If you mean if the web application itself can use MySQL then naturally it's possible since it uses SQLite at the moment.

(2013-07-04, 15:31)zag Wrote: Very interesting...

Will be keeping my eye on this Smile

I'm slightly out of feature ideas at the moment so feel free to suggest improvements!
PHP can be installed easily on any windows machine these days with this Microsoft tool

http://www.microsoft.com/web/downloads/platform.aspx

I'll give it a test soon.
(2013-07-04, 17:28)negge Wrote: Do you mean with an XBMC instance using MySQL? If so then sure. I have had bad luck when connecting to a headless XBMC installation, although I think that's mainly an issue with path substitution.

If you mean if the web application itself can use MySQL then naturally it's possible since it uses SQLite at the moment.

Yes, I meant the web application itself. Do you have plans to add MySQL support?
(2013-07-04, 23:57)Aenima99x Wrote:
(2013-07-04, 17:28)negge Wrote: Do you mean with an XBMC instance using MySQL? If so then sure. I have had bad luck when connecting to a headless XBMC installation, although I think that's mainly an issue with path substitution.

Yes, I meant the web application itself. Do you have plans to add MySQL support?

I can post some information later on on how to switch to MySQL instead. I don't really see what you're trying to gain though, there's practically nothing stored there (just user data and settings). Here you can see the database structure: https://github.com/Jalle19/xbmc-video-se...sqlite.sql.

(2013-07-04, 18:37)zag Wrote: PHP can be installed easily on any windows machine these days with this Microsoft tool

http://www.microsoft.com/web/downloads/platform.aspx

I'll give it a test soon.

Is that using IIS?
(2013-07-05, 06:51)negge Wrote: Is that using IIS?

Yes just install IIS from add remove programs in control panel, then run the platform installer.

It should only be a few clicks.
I tried the Microsoft Web Platform installer but couldn't get it to work (IIS installed but it's nowhere to be found). I also started writing a step-by-step guide to installing XAMPP and getting the application to run, but the steps involved are very many and complicated so for now the best way to use this on Windows is to install Ubuntu Server in a virtual machine (e.g. in VirtualBox, which is free) and following the steps in the readme.
I just added support for configuring more than one XBMC instance to connect to, see the first post for more details (and a new screenshot illustrating the whole thing). Also make sure you perform the upgrade instructions mentioned on Github if you've already installed and configured this application (a simple git pull won't do).
(2013-07-04, 15:51)Aenima99x Wrote: Very interested in this....will it work with MySQL?

https://github.com/Jalle19/xbmc-video-se...4ceba600ec

Feel free to try it out.
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Video Server: stream/download your library contents9