Desktop recycled for XBMC?
Hey guys,
I have a desktop that I used for storage using Freenas,but have decided to just get a Synology instead.

I would like to use the desktop to run XBMC instead of selling it or let it sit collecting dust. I use an Android box to run XBMC at the moment,and it's not the best at times. There is alot of stuff I don't even use. I basically used XBMC with the popular plugins and that was it.

I'll give you the specs and then tell me what you think . If I need to upgrade anything,let me know.

If I do keep it.I would like to get more of a HTPC case to put it all in if possible,the case now is just to big to put into a media center.

Highlights of the specs..
1.Intel Pentium Dual CPU [email protected]
2.64 Bit Win 7 Pro
3.4gb Mushkin PC-6400 Ram (upgraded)
4.Ati Radeon HD 2600XT Video Card (upgraded)
5.Gigabyte Ethernet (upgraded)
6.MSI MS-7525 (Boston)

Link to the desktop...Desktop
Not really worried about storage since the NAS will store all my stuff.

Let me know what you think.Use it or just get a Pivos Xios DS and put LInux XBMC on it?Thanks
That should make for a fine XBMC machine.
Not sure how the ATI 2600XT is with full DXVA - I'd say add a 5450 or 6450 (or Nvidia 610).
Looks like I would need a HDMI-DVI adaptor to get HDMI output unless I get another card.

Got any links to which card? There are a few variation/brands of them.

Now what about a case?
The cheapest fanless Nvidia card with HDMI that you can find. Shouldn't cost more than $20-30. As long as it was made in the last few years, it should be more than enough for HTPC use. Avoid AMD/ATI (even on windows, I don't trust them for HTPCs).
(2013-07-04, 18:10)Ned Scott Wrote: The cheapest fanless Nvidia card with HDMI that you can find. Shouldn't cost more than $20-30. As long as it was made in the last few years, it should be more than enough for HTPC use. Avoid AMD/ATI (even on windows, I don't trust them for HTPCs).

Thanks for the heads up.I'll see what I can find.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Desktop recycled for XBMC?0