Win Random library scanning/adding of bogus shows?
Question 
Hi all,
I've tried searching but got no useful results.
In the past couple days, my XBMC has suddenly started randomly scanning and adding "stuff" to the library.
It looks like it's adding videos alphabetically, starting with 001 and working through every TV Show name that has ever existed.
The odd part is that NONE of these "new" shows actually exist on my server.
For example, it added shows called "21", "10-5", "Car 54", etc...
I've never had any of these shows, but it seems to think I do. If I click on any of the newly added shows, they show up just like they're in the library, but if I attempt to play any of them, I get the typical "this video is not available" message.
I'm running XBMC v12 Frodo on Win7 Pro.
I was able to stop the scan, clean out the library, and rescan the entire thing. That correctly found all my real shows, and didn't add any of the bogus ones. I thought it was just a random glitch, but today it started trying to scan again!
I'm using The TVDB as my scraper.

Has anyone seen this before?
Your file naming scheme is probably screwed up. You should follow XBMC recommeded naming scheme per the wiki.

Most likely you DB is being updated automatically. I could be pulling videos from a sub-folder (extras, home videos, etc) and trying to interpret a movie name from the file name (hence why the all have numbers in the titles).

Make sure you exclude any folders you don't want to be part of your library.
Nope all my file are properly named.
Everything has been showing correctly for months. It just started pulling the random names in the past couple days.
Nothing has changed in my XBMC or server configuration.
Nothing exists in the source folder(s) except the actual show files, as they have been for quite a while now.
However, your suggestion about the movie names may bear investigation.
How can I exclude a single subfolder from the "TV Shows" library?
I see the "exclude from scanning" option, but wouldn't that remove that folder from the library entirely?
Exclude from scanning feature just stops the scrapers, but doesn't remove the files within, from the library. I use this often for scraps and video shorts that have no meta data attached and could play havoc with the scrapers and get assign absurd listings like "21", "10-5", "Car 54", etc... this way they don't show up in the library but I can play them in file mode as single one offs.
I don't have any files on my server that aren't normal, properly named TV show episodes or movies.
I was asking how to exclude a single subfolder form the TV Show category.
For example, my main folder on the server is called "Videos".
It contains both TV Shows and Movies. All the movies are in a subfolder called "000_Films". Each TV Show is in a separate folder, named for the individual show title.
I'd like to exclude that one (movie) folder from the TV Show library.
I have a separate source that scrapes the 000_Films folder as movies.
What I don't get is that it's been set up this way for months, and everything has worked fine.
Just in the last fews days XBMC has started trying to scan and add all the bogus files that don't actually exist.
It's good practice to keep TV Shows and Movies separate so you can set the scrapers for each video type (and it looks like you've done that). To exclude a sub folder would be done within the scraper, but in your case each TV show has a separate folder and the parent folder has the scraper settings so the only way to exclude "one (movie) folder from the TV Show library" would be to remove it and place it in the root and set the scrapers for it. (I'm unsure that you have mixed a Movie with a TV show at this point... some clarification would be good)

As you've noted it was all good up to a point....on occasion I've run into this issue myself, and it always ends up to be something like a corrupt file, an archive that uses some new version of compression, naming issue with the scraper or some hash problems. I usually run a debug log after a clean (you did mention a system clean clears it) and an update... usually the offender rears it's head pretty early on.
Still no ideas guys?
I've done everything I can think of and it's still scanning shows into the library that do not and have not ever existed on my server.
I even physically moved all the movies to another part of the server, so that the "Movies" directory is no longer a subdirectory of the "videos" folder.
I'm thinking there's something stuck in the library database that is telling it to look for these non-existent shows, but I can't find where it's stored.
I've done the "clean library" option, and that clears out all the bogus shows, but they come right back the next time it scans.
Please help, the wife is getting annoyed. Smile
Hi
Did you ever find a solution for this problem? I have the exact same problem
Yes and No.
My XBMC just kinda fixed itself during one of the MANY times I stripped out the library and started over.
I can't really say what was the thing that actually fixed it, sorry.
It was maddening to say the least.
I still get multiple entries for the same episode sometimes, but cleaning the library seems to fix it temporarily.
I really wish we had a more definitive answer, as this is an ongoing issue that the devs don't seem concerned about. :/
I've been getting the same problem lately, cleaning the library the bogus shows go away until the next time i do a complete scan, then they come back.

Anyone have any ideas?

I'm getting close to wipping my whole TV library and scanning everything in from scratch.

If this is indeed a corrupted folder or something of that nature causing the issue how would I find this? I've enabled debug logging but can't seem to find the source of these bogus shows.

Thanks
Hi did you ever get a solution to this problem as I also have it. My TV shows library was fine then suddenly started showing these bogus TV shows that don't exist in my library?

Help would be appreciated as it's kinda annoying!!

Eddie
As previously mentioned, it's probably scanning stuff that shouldn't end up in the library.

If you go to an episode of a bogus TV show, what path to the video file does it show?
Hi XBL,

Thanks for getting back to me. Please excuse my newbie ignorance, but I probably should have mentioned that I'm running XBMC on a Raspberry Pi with OpenElec running Frodo. The TV show scraper I'm using is the default TVDB and the default GUI Confluence.

If I select the bogus TV show there is no path that I can see displayed on screen. Is there somewhere that I need to check for this?

Thanks
Navigate to an episode in a bogus TV show and and get information ("i" on a keyboard, not sure what it is on a remote), it should show the path of the media.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Random library scanning/adding of bogus shows?0