Status of x264 support?
i am, of course, fully aware that both xbmc and x264 are projects that are still in development. i'm just wondering, is the current version of xbmc capable of playing x264 video at bitrates of about 1.5 mbits/sec at full speed? does there need to be any kind of tweaking (ie: yes, but if you use ac3/mp3/vorbis/aac/whatever, it's too much for the processor) to work out?

the reason i'm asking is i remember trying to play an x264 clip on an earlier version of xbmc and i remember that it was atrocious what i got out of it (this was like an early/mid 2005 release, possibly late 2004, can't remember precisely). do newer versions have any problems? i plan to try with my own x264 clip, but i'm just looking for other people's experiences too.
hey,

i've been streaming commandn(1400 kb/s) and dl.tv h.264 streams and it plays quite clean. you could find these shows by googling it.

hope this helps.
i've found x264 content to be hit and miss. there are definitely encoding options that xbmc can't handle. a little trick is that the dvdplayer seems to have a more recent ffmpeg build than mplayer and if you select "play using..." then 'dvdplayer' from the context menu the video will play better.
(asteron @ dec. 19 2005,18:41 Wrote:i've found x264 content to be hit and miss. there are definitely encoding options that xbmc can't handle. a little trick is that the dvdplayer seems to have a more recent ffmpeg build than mplayer and if you select "play using..." then 'dvdplayer' from the context menu the video will play better.
well, what options specifically? i'm trying to use handbrake (i'm having a lot of problems getting mencoder to compile on my system, so i'm stuck with handbrake for now) to create my x264 clips.

i see what you mean with hit-and-miss. i tried using a clip from a dvd i own, that was five minutes and ten seconds, using 1500 kbit/s x264 (main profile) and ac3 audio (2.0 channels to 2.0 analog out in the end). parts of the video played smoothly, but other parts had major frame droppage.

i'm just wondering if there's some way i can tweak my output.
i think there are encoding options that allow xbmc to cope but i dont encode any content so i wouldnt know.
quick search and this thread will give you some of the answers you are looking for.

h.264 search

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Status of x264 support?0