Linux Question on using external device as visualizer
TL;DR: Does anyone have any suggestions for how I might be able to get the Vortex TREBLE, MIDDLE, and BASS variables pumped over, ideally, a TCP socket?

Long version:

For the past month, I've been working on an Arduino-powered RGB LED mesh network. I can go into detail if anyone cares. I'd like to add in the capability to use it as a VU meter for music from my XBMCbuntu HTPC. This guy has implemented something similar in case my description is confusing:

Unfortunately, I can't use his method because he's getting his visualizer data from an audio input passed through a dedicated chip (at least, I'm pretty sure he is). For various reasons, I can't do that. Instead, I'd like to get the Vortex TREBLE, MIDDLE, and BASS variables over a TCP socket to the root node. Once the root node has those numbers, it can translate them to whatever arbitrary RGB values I choose and pass the instructions on down the meshnet.

Not having done any kind of XBMC addon, plugin, or visualizer work at all, I don't know where to start. The Vortex scripting manual doesn't mention anything about filesystem or network access. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Hey

There isn't any built in way of getting the beat detection information out of Vortex so this is something you would have to add yourself.

Also, Vortex doesn't work on Linux so you might be better off taking the beat detection code from Vortex and creating a new simple visualization with it that also has the network access.

MrC
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Dang. Well, thanks for the answer. I've got a lot of other things on the TODO list for this, so I might just skip that part.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Question on using external device as visualizer0