differences between 2 nfs mount method's
Hmm, this isn't working for me for some reason.

I've got /storage/.config/autostart.sh with

Code:
#!/bin/sh

mount -t nfs 192.168.1.64:/Media -o nfsvers=3,rw,intr,noatime,rsize=32768,wsize=32678,nolock,async,proto=udp /storage/NFS-Media

to keep it simple for now but it's not mounting at boot. I thought it might be because the permissions weren't set, so I changed it to Execute for all (rwxr-xr-x 0755) but it still doesn't work.

If I run that command manually via SSH after boot it mounts fine.
Most likely the network isn't up when autostart.sh is run, so your mount fails.

autostart.sh doesn't actually need to be made executable, as it's executed with "sh /storage/.config/autostart.sh" in /etc/init.d/93_xbmc.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Hmm, even with it mounted manually I can't play anything from it and it just shows the busy icon for minutes before dumping me back to the library.

After I tried a few movies and backed out to the parent folder, then it froze for a while again and then started playing something but froze after a few frames and I had to reboot via SSH.

I tried the same movies via SMB after rebooting and they worked fine. I was also able to play them when using the XBMC NFS mounts, so I guess there must be something about this command and my Hanewin settings that aren't compatible.

Log here http://pastebin.com/M2uKZXmu

(2013-07-23, 00:36)MilhouseVH Wrote: Most likely the network isn't up when autostart.sh is run, so your mount fails.

autostart.sh doesn't actually need to be made executable, as it's executed with "sh /storage/.config/autostart.sh" in /etc/init.d/93_xbmc.

Oh I see, I thought that was to check whether the server was available, not whether the Pi network was up. I'll add those lines back and try again.

There's still the problem of what happened when trying to play the files to overcome though Wink
I'd mount it with no options added, then start adding options to work out which is the problem (could be async, or maybe proto=udp as the default is tcp, I think)
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2013-07-23, 01:05)MilhouseVH Wrote: I'd mount it with no options added, then start adding options to work out which is the problem (could be async, or maybe proto=udp as the default is tcp, I think)

Thanks, it seems to work fine with no options. Movies take about 10s to start but that's the same with XBMC NFS mounts and SMB mounts.

Adding the proto=udp option did break it again though, so for some reason it doesn't like that. I've got both UDP and TCP enabled in Hanewin. Number of UDP NFS Server Threads is set to 4 and Max NFS Transfer size set to 8192 bytes. NFS v2 and v3 are enabled as is Async Write for NFS-2, No Count of Sub-DIrs, Allow Unix Style Soft Links and Emulate Hard Links by a File Copy for Other Volumes

EDIT: Adding back all the other options except for proto=udp and it works fine, so it's definitely that.
Could be your network dropping udp - are you connected to your router with a wire, Homeplug or WiFi? I'm using Homeplug (500-AV) with udp no problem, but wouldn't be surprised if that isn't the case with every Homeplug device (firmware bugs etc.).

Using udp only gains a moderate performance advantage, so no big deal if you have to switch to tcp. The rsize/wsize options are likely to influence performance the most.
(2013-07-23, 01:44)MilhouseVH Wrote: Could be your network dropping udp - are you connected to your router with a wire, Homeplug or WiFi? I'm using Homeplug (500-AV) with udp no problem, but wouldn't be surprised if that isn't the case with every Homeplug device (firmware bugs etc.).

Using udp only gains a moderate performance advantage, so no big deal if you have to switch to tcp. The rsize/wsize options are likely to influence performance the most.

I'm all cabled. The RPi is actually wired to my BT Home Hub simply because it's nearer and my two PCs are wired to a Gigabit switch which is then wired to the Home Hub.

If you reckon tcp's OK though I'll just use that as it's working fine with that.
Whilst the autostart.sh method of mounting the NFS share works OK a lot of the time, I'm just wondering if there's another method of doing the mount at a later stage, as the problem with that method is that if the server is unavailable (perhaps I'm using the Pi at someone else's house for whatever reason or maybe the server's just off and I'd like to use the RPi to watch something stored on a USB stick, or stream some audio/video files), then the boot gets stuck at this point. So if I could get it to mount (or attempt to) only when I go into Movies or Music and it needs to access the files on the server (which the library is populated with) that would be better.

It seems perhaps ideally XBMC would need to be modified to run a script to check whether it's already mounted, mount it if not and pause a reasonable amount of time to allow for this (possibly needing to allow for the server to wakeup) when the user selects a Library view (as opposed to Files view) but as that might not ever happen, perhaps there's a workaround we can use now?
Isn't that called automount?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Is it? Perhaps. Could you expand?
Is it possible to mount a NFS volume in openelec and put all the XBMC files there and run XBMC from there?

Whoops......I thought I was in another forum.....well maybe you guys know. Smile
Yes it is possible. This is old, but I assume still valid:

http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/Mounti...ork_shares
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Thanks.....I had been looking but I didn't know what phrases to look for. Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
differences between 2 nfs mount method's0