"Cannot connect to remote server" no matter what scraper i use...
Hi all,

Firstly can i say thanks to all for the help posted on the Pi forum so far... it has helped me many times.

I have a Pi running Raspbmc (latest version) which is wired to my router and my NAS which stores all media.

The whole system is running sweet (even 1080p media running perfect from the NAS) but i have one minor problem i need to iron out.

Whenever i go to update the library with any new movies, i always get the "cannot connect to remote server" error when it trys to scrape the info from the internet for the newly found movie. I did think it was down to the scraper but i get the same error using the universal movie scraper or the movie database.

If i select "no" under the option "do you want to continue scanning" it will stop scanning and next time i go to update the library the same thing will happen again with the same movie(s).

If i select "yes" under the option "do you want to continue scanning" it will skip that movie out of the library altogether, never scrape it again and i have to add it manually to the library at a later date.

Funnily enough, tv shows scrape perfectly everytime... its just movies that never scrape properly.

Would this be some sort of time out problem?
I do have only a 1MB broadband line and i thought that this might be a problem, but i have another windows XBMC HTPC setup and that scrapes perfectly everytime for tv and movies.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated as this is the only problem i am having in this otherwise brilliant setup.

Thanks.
We need your xbmc.log Debug Log to be able to help you.

Also, check your Network Settings and especially your proxy settings.
My GitHub. My Add-ons:
(2013-07-08, 13:13)sphere Wrote: We need your xbmc.log debug log to be able to help you.

Also, check your Network Settings and especially your proxy settings.

As requested...

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=36310

The trouble basically starts when i update the library... when it finds the latest movie added to the library (in this case the movie "the impossible") I get the "cannot connect to remote server" error and when i select "yes" under the option "do you want to continue scanning" it will skip that movie out of the library altogether, never scrape it again and i have to add it manually to the library at a later date.

Thanks for any help with this.
Double check your proxy settings:
(For Confluence)
System -> Settings -> System -> Internet Access -> "Use an HTTP Proxy" needs to be disabled.
My GitHub. My Add-ons:
(2013-07-12, 14:26)sphere Wrote: Double check your proxy settings:
(For Confluence)
System -> Settings -> System -> Internet Access -> "Use an HTTP Proxy" needs to be disabled.

Okay, i just disabled it there. I will do a library update again now and see how i get on.
Error occurred again,

I took about five movies out of the source folder (also deleted their metadata in the source folder) and did a "clean library", then i put them back into the source folder and did an "update library" as though they were fresh movies newly added.

When it found the first newly added movie it showed the same error again.
is it only this one particular movie or any other new added movies?
Try taking XBMC out of the equation. At a command line on the Pi, execute the command:

Code:
curl -o /dev/null http://akas.imdb.com/find?q=the%20impossible&s=tt

and see if it works or gives you an error. If you get an error, it's an OS-level problem, or a problem with your network. Try a different cable. If you have a WiFi dongle also connected your Pi, remove it (even if you're not using it).
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
im suspicious it would be a filename or specific title issue as.
lets see
(2013-07-13, 09:30)rikardo1979 Wrote: im suspicious it would be a filename or specific title issue as.
lets see

No unfortunately, it is all new movies i add.

Adding new episodes of tv shows seems to be fine though.

Is there anything on my uploaded log that might explain the error?

(2013-07-13, 09:20)MilhouseVH Wrote: Try taking XBMC out of the equation. At a command line on the Pi, execute the command:

Code:
curl -o /dev/null http://akas.imdb.com/find?q=the%20impossible&s=tt

and see if it works or gives you an error. If you get an error, it's an OS-level problem, or a problem with your network. Try a different cable. If you have a WiFi dongle also connected your Pi, remove it (even if you're not using it).

No wifi dongle, just using homeplugs between router and this pi setup in the room (about a 25 ft run) with no problems as 5gb HD movies playing no problems from the NAS without any buffering etc.
So did curl work? The problem is with your Internet access, not your LAN.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
I also have this problem.. But it's Intermittent.. Usually if i poke it long enough it will work eventually.
My solution is to use Ember to scrape all my media though]
I have encountered this in the past and it ended up being a weird character in the folder and filename for Les Miserables. Check your folders/filenames for oddball foreign language characters.
Thanks for the help so far... but am still having the same issue.

(2013-07-14, 03:22)MilhouseVH Wrote: So did curl work? The problem is with your Internet access, not your LAN.

Tried exiting Raspbmc and pressing ESC to get a command line but its asking for XBMC login: and then password: and it seems to boot back into xbmc within a few seconds anyway.

How do i get a command line to try that curl?

(2013-07-14, 22:41)Gragamale Wrote: I have encountered this in the past and it ended up being a weird character in the folder and filename for Les Miserables. Check your folders/filenames for oddball foreign language characters.

Its nothing like that in my case... all folders and movies correctly named. And in any case my other HTPC xbmc setup scrapes the same movies with no problems.
On Windows, install PuTTY and connect to your Pi using SSH. For Raspbmc I think the login username/password is pi/raspberry.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"Cannot connect to remote server" no matter what scraper i use...0