Linux No left speaker for music
Hi,

I have installed XBMCbuntu on a Dell Optiplex 754 box and it's great! Just about everything worked OTB other than a few issues with the optical drive but that's another post! I haven't changed any of the hardware other than adding an Nvidia video card. My issue now is I only have sound from the right speaker ONLY when playing music. Movies videos and TV shows all play with stereo sound!? I'm sorry if this is a repeat post but I have done a lot of googling and searching.

The sound has been like this since I installed a fresh XBMCbuntu installation and I keep the system up to date. I have tried all the possible jack outputs on the PC with no answer. The cable is a stereo jack to jack, so its not the hardware. I have gone through every sound setting in XBMC and other than finding interesting combinations of sound/no sound/white noise nothing has resolved it.

I think it may have something to do with ALSA, but I may be wrong. I have check alsamixer and all the outputs are at 90% or higher except Mono, which is at 0% if I turn it up I hear the sound from XBMC from my PC!? Could it be the right channel? The sound card is an onboard HDA Intel AD1983.

I, hopefully, have included /use/share/xbmc/system/asound.conf

Hope someone can help

Code:
# downmixing to 2 channels
pcm.xbmc_71to2 {
  @args.0 SLAVE
  @args.SLAVE {
    type string
    default "default"
  }
  type plug
  slave.pcm $SLAVE
  slave.channels 2
  route_policy duplicate
  ttable.0.0 1          # front left speaker
  ttable.1.1 1          # front right speaker
  ttable.2.0 0.7        # rear left speaker
  ttable.3.1 0.7        # rear right speaker
  ttable.4.0 0.7        # center to left mapping
  ttable.4.1 0.7        # center to right mapping
  ttable.5.0 0.5        # LFE (base) to left mapping
  ttable.5.1 0.5        # LFE to right mapping
  ttable.6.0 0.6    # SL to left mapping
  ttable.7.0 0.6    # SR to right mapping
}

pcm.xbmc_51to2 {
  @args.0 SLAVE
  @args.SLAVE {
    type string
    default "default"
  }
  type plug
  slave.pcm $SLAVE
  slave.channels 2
  route_policy duplicate
  ttable.5.0 0.5        # LFE (base) to left mapping
  ttable.5.1 0.5        # LFE to right mapping
}

pcm.xbmc_50to2 {
  @args.0 SLAVE
  @args.SLAVE {
    type string
    default "default"
  }
  type plug
  slave.pcm $SLAVE
  slave.channels 2
  route_policy duplicate
}
Where is the audio output connected to?

If you have either ~/.asoundrc or /etc/asound.conf on your system, try renaming them to something else and reboot. Usually you don't need those at all, especially if you don't know what you're doing.

You could also post a debug log to xbmclogs.com where you play a music file, maybe there's something of interest in it.
Hi,

Thanks for replying. When you say 'where is the audio connected to?' I'm presuming you mean the cables, and I have one 3.5mm jack plugged into the main output (green jack socket) on the rear of the PC. If you mean through alsa or software wise, I'm not sure but I don't think I would have knowingly changed it from the initial installation. I've looked for /etc/asound.conf and ~/.asoundrc but neither appear to be there so can't delete them, but if they're not so important I guess they wouldn't necessarily be there anyway.

I started XBMC and turned on Enable Debugging in the System panel (not sure if I needed to) and then played a music file and have pasted the output from ~/.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log to xbmclogs.com. Hope it makes more sense to everyone else! Confused

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=36056

Is that the log you meant? Hope so.
Can an op mark this as solved or delete it, my bad, just discovered its the speakers in the TV not xbmc, so problem solved(ish). Sorry

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No left speaker for music0