XBMC MAC vs PC
Hello.

I have a question to those who have used
XBMC on both Mac AND a PC.
Is there any performance difference between the two platforms?
Does XBMC run better on Windows?
I would be interested to know as I'm considering getting a Mac Mini to run XBMC.
Well, the great thing is you can run both Mac OS X and Windows on a Mac Mini (or even Linux). I would get a used Mac Mini, like the 2010 or 2011 model, and then you have a good deal and sexy hardware.

Performance wise, they both should be about the same as far as XBMC goes. There are some known issues that might make one more desirable than the other. For example, there is no HD audio passthrough receiver options on Mac OS X, so you would need Windows for that. You can see some of those issues here: Frodo issues (wiki).
Why not just the 2012 model? I really loathe buying used products and I'm actually considering waiting for a 2013 Mac Mini cause it will probably have HD5000 integrated (assuming there's a late 2013 model)
Aside from using it as my media box, it would be nice to do some light gaming.

If you bootcamp Windows on a Mac Mini and run XBMC does XBMC operate as it would on a Windows computer or are there any discrepancies?

Edit: Can the Mac remote control XBMC? Are there any good remotes or a remote app for iPhone that can control XBMC on a Mac Mini?
You get much more bang for your buck for a previous year model, used or even new. Generally speaking, MacMini's are a bit over-kill for HTPCs, so even going a year or two back will still have plenty of power. Nothing wrong with the newer models, just more money to spend.

The MacMini is an Intel computer. With Windows on it, it is no different than any other Intel computer with Windows.

The Mac remote can control XBMC, even if you are running a different OS. There is also an official XBMC remote for iPhone on the Apple App Store that can control XBMC on any OS.
(2013-07-13, 12:52)Fennec Wrote: Why not just the 2012 model? I really loathe buying used products and I'm actually considering waiting for a 2013 Mac Mini cause it will probably have HD5000 integrated (assuming there's a late 2013 model)
Aside from using it as my media box, it would be nice to do some light gaming.

If you bootcamp Windows on a Mac Mini and run XBMC does XBMC operate as it would on a Windows computer or are there any discrepancies?

Edit: Can the Mac remote control XBMC? Are there any good remotes or a remote app for iPhone that can control XBMC on a Mac Mini?

I've been doing a little investigating along the same topics as you. Just wanted to point out that there is a bug associated with mini's using Intel gpu's showing a line. It's described in the Frodo Issues link from Ned. Just wanted to make sure you were aware of it before you decide which one you want to buy. The 2011 models had an AMD option for the gpu.
ASUS Chromebox M004U (LibreELEC 8.2/Aeon Nox SiLVO)--->HDMI--->Onkyo TX-NR646--->HDMI--->Panasonic P65VT30
Plus that 2011 AMD GPU option is a better GPU in general than any of the Intel GPUs. Very useful if you ever wanted to do some light gaming on the Mac Mini :)
Wgstarks - Do you have a link showing the line?
Is the 2011 AMD GPU really better than the HD4000?
I guess it would be difficult to find a new MAC MINI 2011 with the AMD GPU.
Why did Apple remove the upgrade option to a dedicated GPU? Sad
It makes the purchase a more difficult decision now....
But the only thing small like the mini on the PC side seems to be the Zbox.
(2013-07-14, 08:20)Fennec Wrote: Wgstarks - Do you have a link showing the line?

No. Sorry. Just been reading about it in some of the posts in this forum.

Quote:Is the 2011 AMD GPU really better than the HD4000?

Yes. In benchmark tests.

Quote:I guess it would be difficult to find a new MAC MINI 2011 with the AMD GPU.
Why did Apple remove the upgrade option to a dedicated GPU? Sad
It makes the purchase a more difficult decision now....
But the only thing small like the mini on the PC side seems to be the Zbox.

I can sympathize. I've been dealing with the same issues myself. You may want to wait and see what apple does with the mini's in the next couple of months. Although they haven't announced any changes AFAIK. If they do come out with a new model it should make the price go down a little on the used ones. It's fairly high right now.
ASUS Chromebox M004U (LibreELEC 8.2/Aeon Nox SiLVO)--->HDMI--->Onkyo TX-NR646--->HDMI--->Panasonic P65VT30
Hi Fennec,

I'm using xbmc with mini 2010 (nvidia 320M) and there are no issues!
-> was a used one with SSD.

There are some sound related things others users reported and which I had as well, but thanks to Team-XBMC -> all of mine has been gone.
I've never run it in windows because there is nothing I miss. HD audio could be a reason, but not for me.
Diablo 3 can be played Solo with lowest resolution (but haven't tested since Mob-Density patch).

As remote controll app, I use XBMC Commander from the beginning. <3 this App!

If you plan to use it with Windows, I'd recommend you to buy a cheaper HTPC. Just my 2c...
If MacOS, then I'd go for 2011/AMD. Intel GPUs never beat Nvidia or AMD -> I guess <-.
What sound related issues?
You can't get HD audio for XBMC on Macs?

The problem with buying an older Mac Mini is that it will be used and I hate buying used products. :/
I'm not so trusting.

I guess I need to start looking at potential issues with running XBMC on Mac and see if it's worth it for me. Starks pointed to a line on the screen with the Intel GPU. I think something like that would aggravate me.

Unfortunately I'm not seeing good PC media center alternatives to Mac Mini's.
(2013-07-15, 18:31)Fennec Wrote: What sound related issues?
You can't get HD audio for XBMC on Macs?
Mac's are restricted from doing HD audio passthru. I'm guessing it's some sort of licenscing issue at Apple. I think you can get around this if you run windows or Linux OS's.
running a mac min 2009 with nvidia 9400 and can run any scene rip flawless. GUI performance is also fine.
MBP late 2009 - TimeCapsule 2TB - Harmony One+ - Readynas NV+ 8TB RAID5 - Mac Mini late 2009 with 10.9.0 and VDA - Panasonic TX-PG420ES -
As to which mini to get, I think Neds comment is fair in that any of the previous two gens should be adequate. I think it is the 2010 that started supporting hdmi. There are non-xbmc related differences in the specs of course, which may be important to you eg. bluetooth version. You should check out a site such as http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/ma...cmini.html to be aware of these differences.

Other than the hd audio and the one frame rate that causes slight stutter, one other issue to be aware of is a 'lag in Graphics engine'. I have recently found this on mine. Surveying the net seems to indicate that it is more prevalent with the intel hd 3000 although some other intel models also show it. The symptoms are considerable lag in the mac's responsiveness making it almost unusable. There also doesn't seem to be a software solution to this and the only workaround seems to be a restart which temporarily postpones the issue.
Macmini Server 2011 i7 Quad Core, OS 10.8.2, Amp Onkyo TX-SR308 USB WD drives 3x2TB TV Samsung Plasma 720p EyeTV Integration
There are only 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC MAC vs PC0