HOW-TO:Use external players on Android
(2022-09-04, 17:13)paulrichardson Wrote: So here is my progress so far.

I sideloaded Total Commander, but am struggling to find either the media player app's full name as it is in the file system on the TV or the playercorefactory.xml in Kodi, for me to modify.

I have 3 Media Players installed (Excluding Kodi) the Sony one is called Media Player (very original) and mine is version 1.1.A.1.22 but I also have VLC installed and Nova Video Player.

There are so many files and folders to look in, I'm not sure where to find anything.
Make sure to switch on "Show hidden and system files" in Total Commander (I guess there's an option), and give all file access permissions in the TV's OS settings to the app.
Where to find the desired app? That's the main question, as it could be anywhere, but surely in one of the subfolders, where all the other installed apps supposed to be. If you find that folder, you can then read them trough, and in TC (i guess) if you click on an application file it will try to start it, so that could help to identify the right one. Seek for "media", "video", "player" etc. guess words.
(2022-09-04, 17:58)Mount81 Wrote:
(2022-09-04, 17:13)paulrichardson Wrote:  
Make sure to switch on "Show hidden and system files" in Total Commander (I guess there's an option),

I'm struggling to find a way to access the Total Commander Main Menu, I can't find a button on my TV remote to select it.
I'm asking on the Total Commander Forum for advice, I guess it's not designed to work on a TV.
I'll be back.
(2022-09-04, 18:36)paulrichardson Wrote:
(2022-09-04, 17:58)Mount81 Wrote:
(2022-09-04, 17:13)paulrichardson Wrote:  
Make sure to switch on "Show hidden and system files" in Total Commander (I guess there's an option),

I'm struggling to find a way to access the Total Commander Main Menu, I can't find a button on my TV remote to select it.
I'm asking on the Total Commander Forum for advice, I guess it's not designed to work on a TV.
I'll be back.
If maybe you could plug a mouse (and a keyboard) to the TV's USB ports, it could help. (I'm not so familiar with Android TV OS, only with "regular" Android, but is usually works there).
I'm sorry, I don't have a keyboard or mouse that I could use, I'm still waiting for a reply on the Total Commander Forum, so no further forward yet.

I've got another quick question. If I do manage to get one of the other media players to work with Kodi, which part controls the fast forward, skip and pause controls?
I'm asking because I love the way Kodi does it, but don't like how Nova or my other media player does it.
I don't want to loose proper control.
From that point the Kodi calls the external player, the Kodi doesn't have any control over that, so the controls are all the same as used to be in that external player app.
Look for if there's a way to change it inside those apps, there's no other way.

Meanwhile you can still try other Android file explorers, like Solid Explorer, MiXplorer, or CX File Explorer.
(2022-09-06, 18:23)Mount81 Wrote: From that point the Kodi calls the external player, the Kodi doesn't have any control over that, so the controls are all the same as used to be in that external player app.
Look for if there's a way to change it inside those apps, there's no other way.

Thanks for that information. It means I don't need to add the External player to Kodi.

I either need to get smooth video playback from Kodi (which I have not managed to do yet)

Or find another video player with the facilities I need. 1) Play files smoothly, 2) Play from my NAS drive, 3) Be able to delete files when we are finished with them.
The TV's own "built-in" player apps are usually better, than Kodi in general (on TV's). The Kodi app can't be developed and polished as much for all those different kind of TV models out there.
Have you tried Plex? You need a client app on the TV and a sever side app on the NAS (f.e.). The best general solution for TV's that I know of. Google it for some easy tutorials, how to set it up.

The only other way (and a step further), is that you would need a decent Media Player Box, that plays the formats you used to or wish, without any compromises or struggling.

There's even a Thread here somewhere that lists and describes all the considerable options on the current market.
(2022-09-11, 16:42)Mount81 Wrote: Have you tried Plex? You need a client app on the TV and a sever side app on the NAS (f.e.). The best general solution for TV's that I know of. Google it for some easy tutorials, how to set it up.

I have looked at Plex, but unfortunately my old WD My Cloud NAS doesn't have Plex as an option.
(2022-09-11, 16:42)Mount81 Wrote: The only other way (and a step further), is that you would need a decent Media Player Box, that plays the formats you used to or wish, without any compromises or struggling.

My Darling wife will not allow any more "gadgets" associated with the TV. It's far too crowded for her already Sad
Hello everyone, this might be an odd question: is it possible to use Youtube as an external player? Its casting ability to any device is what made me interested

Thanks
Galaxy note 9 with kodi android, nexus.
AV1 files are choppy from 1080p and higher with kodi dvdplayer.
They play flawlessly with vlc both from the phone filesystem and from my nas (nfs share)
Using the wiki for using an external player, kodi launches vlc and it works if the av1 file is on the phone (download folder for example)
but it doesn't work if the file is on the nas in a nfs shared folder.

Playing the same file from the nfs share directly in vlc is OK
Playing the same file from the nfs share in kodi is OK but choppy
Playing the same file from the nfs share using the external player method is NOK
the external player method doesnt work because of how an external player is called on android

the playback of av1 on android is probably due to being on a samsung galaxy phone or a phone in general, im not sure android phones are the target device for kodi, but im just speculating
Kodi works well and in dex mode, I only need 1080p that's why that "old premium" phone works.

Is there a way to have the external player work ?
I can use vlc separately for av1 but a direct launch from kodi would be a lot more confortable...
Seems like we aren't able to create or edit this file on androidtv(shield) anymore.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO:Use external players on Android2