Kodi as a server
I’m a bit confused about a Dlna server. I know you can run some on a nas like Plex or jellyfin. I thought Kodi could be a server but some say no it’s a player. Is it a server and if so how would one use it? Can it go on a nas too? If you using say shield can it run from shield as a server and a player?If it’s not a server why do some think it is?

I think I just went cross eyed.
(2023-12-11, 09:10)Jman5150 Wrote: Is it a server and if so how would one use it?
contains no services to display the library to a different client, without modifications or addons, therefor "client"
(2023-12-11, 09:10)Jman5150 Wrote: Can it go on a nas too?
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=370583
(2023-12-11, 09:10)Jman5150 Wrote: If you using say shield can it run from shield as a server and a player?
maybe a generic media server through upnp but hardly a good experience
(2023-12-11, 09:10)Jman5150 Wrote: If it’s not a server why do some think it is?
tide pods are not edible so why do people think they are? ... loaded question, some people do custom things and have the technical know how to get it done, others are lemmings who watch too much tiktok and youtube
(2023-12-11, 09:10)Jman5150 Wrote: I’m a bit confused about a Dlna server.
dlna is a pretty defunct media server at this point, jellyfin developers do not recommend it's use
(2023-12-11, 09:10)Jman5150 Wrote: I think I just went cross eyed.
seems like it

so was there a specific support issue you needed help with or you just had the 1 general discussion question?
Have a look at https://kodi.wiki/view/Syncing_and_sharing
Basically I’m trying to get kodi to play to my oppo 203.

With just kodi the “play to” option showed and it saw my oppo 203 but playing the mkv file didn’t show up…nothing happened,  just tried jellyfin on my Synology (I didn’t see your previous response on it) thinking maybe software on the nas would help the sync and that was the issue. However with jellyfin I see the “play with” option for the oppo 203 (which also shows up) however once again no video. I see plenty of posts online of people playing video through their oppo 203 but can’t seem to get it to work myself. Kinda stuck on getting the mkv files from kodi to my oppo.

getting frustrating, I feel so close to having the system setup I’ve wanted but keep getting stuck, then I take a break…figure something out, then get stuck again. I feel like this is the last thing. So close …it sees the oppo, everything else at least appears to work. 

interesting what you said about jellyfin. I had someone  else  think it was a good option, they might have been working off info from a few years ago.
likely your oppo doesn't support mkv or the video codec? kodi doesn't do any transcoding, it will just make video files available as is over DLNA
No, it works with mkv, it can’t do iso or anything like that over the network but mkv it can do. I’m looking into if maybe it’s an ip thing, just a guess.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi as a server0