Req Xbmc Offline mode for chosen library items like Spotify
Hi all,

First of all thank you all for a great program and a great community.
I have been using XBMC now for over 10 years and I love it.

Only thing I am missing right now is the ability to make some library content, like Tv shows or Movies available offline.

Think that you have your smb/nfs/ftp share at home and you are going on vacation. You want to watch you favourite series on your vacation but you cannot connect to home cause no internet or expensive internet.

Then before going on vacation you have Xbmc on you laptop or IPAD or other XBMC device.

It scrapes everything from your smb/nfs/ftp share and you have your library on your device.

After that you are able to make it available offline by going to one Season or one movie or one episode and in the context menu mark it as available offline. XBMC then downloads the .mkv or .avi files locally and in the library maps them to the local copy on your hard drive.

When you the start up XBMC it verifys your smb/nfs/ftp share, finds that it is offline and in the library it hides (or is greyed out) everything that is not offline synced.

You can then sit on the beach and watch your favourite episodes/movies that you made available offline.
I got this idea from watching how Spotify does it.

What do you think guys?
Is it doable?
Any one else want the same feature?
Should be possible with work being done right now for GSoC, I think.
So how can we get this in to motion? Smile
Wait for the outcome of the work being done by GSoC? Unless you're offering to help code? Wink
Aha Got it Smile
Perfect!
This sounds like a great idea.
I think so to because the whole ordeal with copying to some local folder everytime you want to travel takes alot of time. Also doing it on the IPAD i really tricky. I usually end up bringing old episodes and movies cause i have not refreshed what I have localy. Also the library is totaly useless when you are on vacation and don't have access to your shares.
(2013-07-23, 11:04)ravekid Wrote: I think so to because the whole ordeal with copying to some local folder everytime you want to travel takes alot of time. Also doing it on the IPAD i really tricky. I usually end up bringing old episodes and movies cause i have not refreshed what I have localy. Also the library is totaly useless when you are on vacation and don't have access to your shares.

Yea just had to do this with the IPAD
Is something similar to this possible via profiling? This is my theory to test out tomorrow

Home setup - XBMC server(just main computer with Mysql running), 2 windows XBMC boxes and a Raspi Xbmc... Mysql shared library.

then for travel. Setup a profile on the Raspi XBMC ( lets call it travel). Load an external drive with a bunch of movies and tv shows. Boot into profile(separate media sources type). Add sources (external hdd) then scrape. Now you have travel profile with local HDD attached to the raspi and the other home profile video database linked to your MYSQL.

1. If you export the video library to the travel profile. cant you now just travel with the Raspi and the local hdd and boot into the travel profile ?
2. I tried it quickly an it seemed to work fine. BUT! i could not get it to display images and fanart unless i was connected to the internet?
3. Is an internet connection required to display thumb fanart etc even if exported?
4. Or how can i force xbmc to display and read local exported info?
5. Did i miss a step?
6. Shouldnt this setup work to travel ie in a hotel without internet? just a Raspi (with the travel profile i mention above) and external HDD?
7. Is there a guide or forum post for using xbmc offline or without the internet?

Any help or pointers or suggestions would be appreciated. I am comp and xbmc savy Wink
And I LOVE XBMC !!
Hi,

How did the testing go? Smile
Bumping this one Smile
Just use VLC to play the locally saved files on your laptop / tablet?
I think this a great idea! I stumbled across it when "Googling" how to do almost exactly the same thing. Obviously, at the moment, it can't be done! Damn!

I have a slight variation\addition to your idea that I think would make it even more awesome. I propose not only that you can set the media offline and it copies it for you, etc. but that when you are back online it "syncs" your watched tags, etc. I don't know if you had this in mind, but I think it would be great.

Yes, we could just use another media player (or even a localised copy of xbmc) to play the files, but then you don't get the benefits of having watched tags and all the rest at hand. Plus, if you are using another media player, you don't get the awesomeness of XBMC!

Thanks all

Chris
Bump bump
I am searching for this functionality, too. Any news?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xbmc Offline mode for chosen library items like Spotify1