remote storage - how to disable local thumbnail caching in Frodo?
Hi all

I keep my thumbnails on my central network disk (through Mysql server on Synology NAS). I'm still using path substitution in my advancedsettings.xml file. Why are the thumbnails also locally cached then? I am not interested in speed, but space on my SSD and ATV2... Is there a way to disable local caching of thumbnails?

This is happening since I've upgraded from Eden to Frodo v.12.2. I checked other posts on this forum, but I could'nt find the answer to this, sorry.
It shouldn't be. Can you post a debug log (wiki) and that will tel us if XBMC registered the path sub correctly.
(2013-07-14, 18:37)Ned Scott Wrote: It shouldn't be. Can you post a debug log (wiki) and that will tel us if XBMC registered the path sub correctly.

Everything was cached remotely on the NAS until I updated to Frodo.
Here is the log. Thanks for helping.
Try changing the substitution to include the entire thumbs folder, instead of one for videos and one for music.

Something like this:
Code:
<substitute>
          <from>special://profile/Thumbnails/</from>
          <to>smb://admin:**********@192.168.0.114/XBMC/Thumbnails/</to>
     </substitute>
My XBMC is acting up..Thumbnails are not showing, with previous or adapted (your suggested) path substitution. The info is still there, but I don't see the thumbnails/fanart.
If I rescan my sources, nothing happens.

Update: I removed path substitution from my advanced settings file.
Now, if I go back to my video sources, I see that most of them are gone! I'm completely stuck.

Update 2: I added the sources again, and set scrapers. With the adapted path substitution it seems to add thumbs to my NAS (again), and not to my local drives. Fingers crossed...
OK, I'm stuck again. After my previous post, I started having problems with the thumbnails again.
This happened when I switched from Confluence to the Customizable Confluence skin. So I decided to start completely over again...
I dropped my Mysql databases, uninstalled xbmc clients, installed them again. I had problems with the thumbnails again, tried some things, but eventually uninstalled again. This time I kept the Mysql databases. When scanning the media files, thumbnails were stored locally, and not on my NAS again... So, I uninstalled again. Deleted the Mysql databases.

My advanced settings file looks like this:

<advancedsettings>
<videodatabase>
<type>mysql</type>
<host>192.168.0.114</host>
<port>3306</port>
<user>xbmc</user>
<pass>xbmc</pass>
</videodatabase>

<musicdatabase>
<type>mysql</type>
<host>192.168.0.114</host>
<port>3306</port>
<user>xbmc</user>
<pass>****</pass>
</musicdatabase>

<pathsubstitution>

<substitute>
<from>special://profile/sources.xml</from>
<to>smb://admin:******@192.168.0.114/XBMC/sources.xml</to>
</substitute>

<substitute>
<from>special://profile/Thumbnails/Video</from>
<to>smb://admin:******@192.168.0.114/XBMC/Thumbnails/Video</to>
</substitute>

<substitute>
<from>special://profile/Thumbnails/Music</from>
<to>smb://admin:******@192.168.0.114/XBMC/Thumbnails/Music</to>
</substitute>

</pathsubstitution>

</advancedsettings>

Here is the debug log: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=39439

I hope you guys can help me out. Thanks in advance.
You'll want to pathsub the entire Thumbnails/ directory now, instead of just Video and Music sub-folders. I think this was a change in v12.
(2013-07-25, 21:31)Ned Scott Wrote: You'll want to pathsub the entire Thumbnails/ directory now, instead of just Video and Music sub-folders. I think this was a change in v12.

Ah, and you told me before in this thread! I thought I had made a backup of the adapted advanced settings.xml file with your suggestion, but instead I copied an older backup file to my new installation. Details, details.. Sorry, it must be the heat. Thank you so much!!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
remote storage - how to disable local thumbnail caching in Frodo?0