• 2(current)
Rasberry PI lag - can we fix it?
(2013-07-19, 14:24)Tander Wrote: I would like to find out how to backup the DB - but another time, haha.

The easiest is to either backup the XBMC library to seperate files from the XBMC GUI (this stores metadata files next to your video files) or just stop mysql and backup the individual mysql table files.
I've got the Pi running at 850Mhz, which seems okay. Is it possible to get it to run at 1Ghz stable?
Maybe use the USB option and over-volt a little?

Thanks for the backup advice - will do that soon.
(2013-07-19, 14:52)Tander Wrote: I've got the Pi running at 850Mhz, which seems okay. Is it possible to get it to run at 1Ghz stable?
Maybe use the USB option and over-volt a little?

Thanks for the backup advice - will do that soon.

I run with
Code:
over_voltage=6
arm_freq=1000
core_freq=500
sdram_freq=600
force_turbo=1

force_turbo sets warranty bit, but improves performance.
Most Pi's handle this fine (I've got about 10 Pi's, and all handle this except an early one with Hynix memory which needs sdram_freq=500). You need a decent power supply.
The main issue is possible sdcard corruption, which the USB install avoids.

I haven't has a crash running xbmc in months, so yes it is stable.

With this overclock and a USB install my Pi is faster than my Apple TV2 and iPad 3 for most operations.
Really, as fast as an ATV2?

The power supply is one that is plugged into a wall - not sure how good it is?

I will give it a go tonight and see how it goes. Smile

Thanks!
(2013-07-19, 15:17)Tander Wrote: Really, as fast as an ATV2?
For entering movies and TV folders, and browsing, yes it was.

Some more hints:
Use rbej's latest Gotham build.
On the Pi you should always disable "Extract thumbnail and video information" http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Settings/Videos"
Run MilhouseVH's script to precache all images: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1359543
I've heard good things about Amber: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=163360
Avoid scripts that run in the background (e.g. library watchdog type scripts). If it's not smooth a clean install may help.
Thanks so much, I really appreciate all the help and tips. Definitely going to try this out.

Also, I will move stuff over to the USB and try the 13.07.2013 Gotham build.
Also if you install a third-party skin, disable the busy spinner.

It's not possible to edit the stock Confluence skin in OpenELEC builds, but if you install Confluence Modified you can disable the spinner plus it's a better user experience.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
You can make a copy of Confluence and put it in the addons folder, and that will override the default Confluence.
Why would I remove the busy indicator?

I don't think it makes that much of a difference?
(2013-07-20, 19:35)Tander Wrote: I don't think it makes that much of a difference?

You'd be wrong. Read the linked thread.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Okay I will do. Once I figure out how to get Gotham installed on the SD card. Sad
(2013-07-20, 19:56)Tander Wrote: Okay I will do. Once I figure out how to get Gotham installed on the SD card. Sad

Start with any OpenELEC image (do you have one already?)

If you don't then download one. E.g.
http://openelec.thestateofme.com/officia....6.img.zip

write it to sdcard with win32diskimager (like raspbian).

Download rbej's Gotham build, open the zip file and update following this info:
http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=...g_OpenELEC
Yeah, the SD has the OpenELEC on it already. I also have a backup image.

What I want to do is put Gotham on and then try move it to USB to speed things up..
Can I put it on the SD card then move to USB card?

Thanks for the links - I will give it a go now!
The link you provided for USB install is broken - are there any other guides to installing Openelec on USB? I am using a MacBook.
Thank you!
For USB, just format the USB with a single ext2 (or ext4) partition - I'm guessing this is possible with a Mac - then edit cmdline.txt (which is in the root of the SD card) changing disk=/dev/mmcblk0p2 to disk=/dev/sda1 and boot your Pi with the SD card and USB. On the SD card you need: config.txt, cmdline.txt, SYSTEM, kernel.img, bootcode.bin, fixup.dat and startup.elf.
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Rasberry PI lag - can we fix it?2