• 6(current)
Rasberry PI lag - can we fix it?
I would play with each setting individually - my Pi would not tolerate any core overclocking, but is quite happy with arm_freq=900 and sdram_freq=450, though I didn't notice much improvement from RAM overclockingSmile
OK, I'll try bumping up the arm_freq to 1000 and see how it is with that.

Do you know about the initial_turbo setting?
(2013-07-24, 12:37)doveman2 Wrote: Do you know about the initial_turbo setting?

Nope, afraid not. Haven't really tried pushing my pi to the limit yet - after figuring out my F3 problem (the one I attempted to misdirect you on earlierBlush), I have been happy just to have a stable & (relatively) fast system for the past while.
Hmm, even with

arm_freq=950
core_freq=450
sdram_freq=450
over_voltage=6

it hung when I tried to reboot, although it worked several times before that.

What is over_voltage supplying? I mean, if it's just for the core and I'm going try

arm_freq=950
core_freq=333
sdram_freq=450

then maybe I should only use over_voltage=2, but if it's for the arm then maybe it needs to be on 6?

(2013-07-24, 13:06)mayoman Wrote:
(2013-07-24, 12:37)doveman2 Wrote: Do you know about the initial_turbo setting?

Nope, afraid not. Haven't really tried pushing my pi to the limit yet - after figuring out my F3 problem (the one I attempted to misdirect you on earlierBlush), I have been happy just to have a stable & (relatively) fast system for the past while.

Fair enough. It was quite nice to get this Pi stable after having so many problems with it (still not sure what they were, maybe corrupt XBMC install, maybe dodgy hub) but it is quite sluggish at stock and overclocking makes all the difference, so I'm trying to work out what a stable overclock for this board is Wink
(2013-07-24, 13:06)doveman2 Wrote: What is over_voltage supplying? I mean, if it's just for the core and I'm going try

Overvoltage applies to the 1.2V supply, used by the gpu core and the arm.
Through personal experience playing around with the core_freq is what made my pi(s) unstable, Raising arm by 100/200 and keeping other values as default has made my setup rock solid. Ultimately, a respectable speed increase and stabilty was preferred to warp speed and freezing.
(2013-07-24, 14:20)popcornmix Wrote:
(2013-07-24, 13:06)doveman2 Wrote: What is over_voltage supplying? I mean, if it's just for the core and I'm going try

Overvoltage applies to the 1.2V supply, used by the gpu core and the arm.

Thanks.

Using

arm_freq=900
core_freq=333
sdram_freq=450
over_voltage=2

it was OK playing video and audio files but then I tried to view a picture (bmp) (all from the internal USB) and it took a long while to open and shortly after XBMC restarted, with that "Remote Communcation Server - Failed to connect" error again (what is that about anyway?).

I don't think opening the picture is even shown in the log http://pastebin.com/hiR2pGRQ

EDIT: even with only arm_freq=900, over_voltage=2 it still restarts when I press back to exit from viewing the picture.

Sorry, I don't think I had debugging enabled for that last log. I tried enabling it and it was restarting just going to the folder on the USB, without even opening the picture but when it restarted Debugging was off again (it was asking if I wanted to keep this resolution when going into settings as well) so I had to enable it and reboot and now it's not restarting but it seems rather dodgy to me http://pastebin.com/Q9Lfq6NN
So I have been running the PI for a few days.

Seems to be better but my Live Streams always freeze. Sad

Is there anyway to check why this is happening?
So guys - tonight I am turning the RPI off for good.

I'm over being "limited" to what I can and can't do on the PI due to the slow CPU and unstable overclocks.

So, will revert back to the main PC for now and eventually buy a decent HTPC.

It was fun while it lasted though...
(2013-07-26, 14:17)Tander Wrote: So guys - tonight I am turning the RPI off for good.

I'm over being "limited" to what I can and can't do on the PI due to the slow CPU and unstable overclocks.

So you want to have an Unlimited scope in what you can do with a £30 piece of kit? Do you serious believe that the Pi should be provide unlimited performance?

The Pi was not designed to run XBMC, but there are versions of XBMC that are designed to run with the PI. If you take note and follow all the suggestions, the PI is suitable for running a media centre.

BUT if you want to have your XBMC and configure it how you want with unlimited art and fancy menus, then a PI is not for you.

Of course you are "limited" it is a tiny board with 512 Ram! what do you expect?
(2013-07-26, 14:29)LjStronge Wrote:
(2013-07-26, 14:17)Tander Wrote: So guys - tonight I am turning the RPI off for good.

So you want to have an Unlimited scope in what you can do with a £30 piece of kit? Do you serious believe that the Pi should be provide unlimited performance?

The Pi was not designed to run XBMC, but there are versions of XBMC that are designed to run with the PI. If you take note and follow all the suggestions, the PI is suitable for running a media centre.

BUT if you want to have your XBMC and configure it how you want with unlimited art and fancy menus, then a PI is not for you.

Of course you are "limited" it is a tiny board with 512 Ram! what do you expect?

Hmmm, I suspect you miss-understood me.

The Pi did everything fine - relatively speaking. Obviously I wasn't expecting super computer performance out of it. However, if a simple thing, like Live TV streams cannot be done on it - then, yes, time to move on.

Hell it was an experiment which I had fun playing with and was cheap to buy an mess with.

So, please do me a favour and get over your patronising self and think before you post...

I OC to 900mhz and it's rock solid running off a USB stick.

When did you get your Pi? I got my first one last Christmas, and in the ~7 months since then performance has jumped considerably. Every few months something new is added or optimized, a good example of this is the new clock from Popcornmix in the last few test builds. Since he added that patch movies start faster and skip instantly. A month or two ago a firmware update increased the GUI speed 2-3x. Rbej's builds w/ swap are amazing. The Pi is a hobbyist device, over time it will exceed your expectations of what a $35 device can do, but since the majority of the work being done is by people in their spare time things move slower then commercial products. My setup today is easily 10x faster then when I first got it, thanks to the hard work of a lot of people on here.

I have 5 Pi's and I want 2 more. Something I learned in the beginning is don't try to cram too much onto one device. If you want to use Sab/Sick/Couch, get a 2nd Pi and use it as a PVR/file server. Keep your HTPC trimmed down, Pi's are small enough to tuck around the house and work in unison. At 4 watts you don't have to worry about power consumption and can literally wire your whole house with them. That's what I'm doing!
Thanks for the detailed reply.

I have had the device a few weeks now. I am running OpenELEC with XBMC and the second latests Gotham test build on it. Other than PVR client for Live TV - there is nothing else running on the device.

Yes, I have seen speed boosts since getting it - but I want a one device does all type of thing - personally I think I am asking too much from the PI?

Loading videos takes 3 seconds or so. I cannot ff/rr them (Which is annoying) and my biggest issue is Live streams freezing. Its an almost deal breaker for me, sadly.
(2013-07-26, 15:09)Tander Wrote: I have had the device a few weeks now. I am running OpenELEC with XBMC and the second latests Gotham test build on it. Other than PVR client for Live TV - there is nothing else running on the device.

Yes, I have seen speed boosts since getting it - but I want a one device does all type of thing - personally I think I am asking too much from the PI?

Loading videos takes 3 seconds or so. I cannot ff/rr them (Which is annoying) and my biggest issue is Live streams freezing. Its an almost deal breaker for me, sadly.

The Pi as an xbmc platform is still very young.
Things like live TV are pretty niche (xbmc has only recently brought PVR support in from a fork) and haven't had a lot of focus on the Pi yet.
There have been live TV improvements recently due to architectural improvements, but it's not been the priority.
It is likely to have a more concentracted effort in the future as file and internet playback become more stable.
ff/rew should be usable in recent Gotham builds.
Come back in six months and see where we are then. Improvements are continuing.

But if you don't have 3 seconds to spare before watching a 90 minute movie, then you've got pay more for that luxury.
Well like a said, the small lag isn't an issue. The Live TV is the biggest issue for me.

However I will monitor the great work the XBMC Team are doing to the PI and if it become more stable / better in the next year or so - I will re look into it.
Maybe we will get a more powerful PI released?
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Rasberry PI lag - can we fix it?2