Android Make OUYA an 'always XBMC' set-top box
Hey guys. I got my OUYA with the sole intention of making it an XBMC set-top box. I'd like it so that whenever I switch to the OUYA HDMI source that XBMC always be on screen. I always exit XBMC to the main OUYA menu to shut it down (I guess it's really just sleep mode) when I'm done using it. This has an unfortunate consequence in that when I later switch back to the OUYA HDMI input, I'm greeted with a screen that asks me if I want to shutdown the ouya, controller or cancel. This requires powering on the controller then going to make->XBMC to get XBMC back up and usable. I use the XBMC remote on my Android phone and would like to skip the step of using the OUYA controller to relaunch XBMC.

Can anyone give me a clue on how to do this? Do I need to install a different launcher? Will the OUYA enter sleep mode on it's own or do I need to power it 'off' like I have been doing?
Check out the wiki
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=OUYA
I'm guessing you're referring to:

Quote:If you want to open XBMC automatically when the OUYA boots up, you can install "Auto pilot" from the OUYA store. When installed the name will show up as "BOOT". Connecting the BlueTooth remote may close XBMC after, to avoid this issue, use an XBMC remote (Official, Yatse, etc...).

I have done this and it will load XBMC from a cold boot, but it does not go back to XBMC upon waking from sleep mode. Am I doing something wrong?
Doesn't seem possible that I'm afraid.

See here for some more details

http://ouyaforum.com/archive/index.php/t-2737.html
At least for now. Sounds like jonbonazza is working on a possible fix.
Any ideas on how to do this with something like tasker? If screen state changes from off to on then launch xbmc? I'm not a tasker expert so I don't know if it even supports that type of condition.
If only xbmc could shut down the ouya instead of quit. Then when you turn on ouya autopilot would launch xbmc again. I tried but the shut down screen on xbmc only lets it quit.

Does super access or what ever the sudo app is called let xbmc do that? My dad has the ouya not me so cant test it till i go over there next.
(2013-07-21, 02:26)Monkey2674 Wrote: If only xbmc could shut down the ouya instead of quit. Then when you turn on ouya autopilot would launch xbmc again. I tried but the shut down screen on xbmc only lets it quit.

Does super access or what ever the sudo app is called let xbmc do that? My dad has the ouya not me so cant test it till i go over there next.
at the moment there is no way to shutdown the ouya with the controller so it wouldn't be possible anyway.
Yes but in xbmc the quit menu has a shut down option as well as a sleep function. Both are greyed out on ouya just the quit function is available. If they added support for shutdown then you could shut down ouya with that option and never have to see the ouya launcher. Then when you turn the ouya back on it would launch xbmc with autopilot. Currently when you quit xbmc and then you shut off your ouya with the remote it sleeps which is why autopilot don't work.
any Android fanboy knows, shutdown and reboot are privileged Android functions. Only those apps signed with the same key as the firmware itself can issue those functions. Even having root is not enough.
(2013-07-21, 20:57)davilla Wrote: any Android fanboy knows, shutdown and reboot are privileged Android functions. Only those apps signed with the same key as the firmware itself can issue those functions. Even having root is not enough.

Lol ahh well my cell phone is a Duramax XT Smile Maybe Ouya will update the firmware to let us use the controller to sleep within apps and resume them on wake.
Has there been any update on this since the move to kodi?
Peace,
Fritz Boyle

NVIDIA Shield
(2015-05-19, 05:53)fritzboyle Wrote: Has there been any update on this since the move to kodi?

OUYA doesn't seem likely to be updating their OUYA OS anymore, and the Android APIs it uses are too low for Kodi for the upcoming v15. With that in mind I'm trying to make a simple guide for installing a replacement Android OS (most likely CyanogenMod) on the OUYA. I've already done it on mine with CM 11, so it's just a matter of making it easy for fellow OUYA users to do the same.

A side effect of moving to OUYAs to CM is that it will be easier to make Kodi a launcher, either just in appearance, or as a proper Android launcher.
(2015-05-19, 08:30)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2015-05-19, 05:53)fritzboyle Wrote: Has there been any update on this since the move to kodi?

OUYA doesn't seem likely to be updating their OUYA OS anymore, and the Android APIs it uses are too low for Kodi for the upcoming v15. With that in mind I'm trying to make a simple guide for installing a replacement Android OS (most likely CyanogenMod) on the OUYA. I've already done it on mine with CM 11, so it's just a matter of making it easy for fellow OUYA users to do the same.

A side effect of moving to OUYAs to CM is that it will be easier to make Kodi a launcher, either just in appearance, or as a proper Android launcher.

Hey Ned any updates on this? I have 5 Ouya's and would like to upgrade them to 15 when it releases. Thanks!
There isn't any progress on porting "Android TV" to the OUYA (which would have been really awesome), but an easy installer for CM 11 + a TV-friendly launcher + OUYA Anywhere (so you can keep playing OUYA games if you bought any) is definitely possible. My current plan is to entice/bribe someone to help me, since I keep running into walls for making the installation easier to follow.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Make OUYA an 'always XBMC' set-top box0