Android Very interesting hardware for Android...
(2013-07-19, 19:09)fredphoesh Wrote: Hello guys,

I have been researching all the available hardware for an xbmc box based on android, and this one looks fantastic:

ANDROID TV BOX CS918 RK3188 QUAD CORE 1.8GHZ

I'm guessing the quad core processor and graphics chip and 2gb of system ram will be silky smooth on Aeon Nox... or at least, I am hoping!

Anyone tried this hardware?

The only negative I see is only one USB socket (there is also an OTG micro usb, which I guess makes two)

Comments?
Mark.

Hi

I just picked up something similar , but i have problems with audio pass-through.

This is the hardware that i picked up

http://acryan.com/sg/buy-now/45-veolo2-s...d-hub.html

Regards
lewy20041,
You mentioned on freaktab.com that the installer is installing XBMC alpha 6 HW. I don't see that version listed in http://mirrors.xbmc.org/test-builds/android/.

Is that a hardware specific build? Does that mean that it's not a stagefright version?

Thanks for your work! I've got a T-R42 preordered... hoping that there will be a similar rom available for it in the future.

Bill
Guys I have bought 3 cs918s and I have the newest 1080 Rom with gotham 7 xbmc and the video watching is exceptionally smooth but many bugs are in this version of xbmc. I get pop ups when I first turn on xbmc and a few add ons don't work. The other two cs918 boxes I used 12.2 frodo with July 20 Rom from lewy. I have these boxes set up side by side so I can try and decide if I want stability and all functionality to work with very very slight flicker hardly noticeable, or perfect video with bugs and no YouTube or simply movies or hub maintenance. I still can't decide which one is better but I'm leaning towards gotham alpha 7 because I found YouTube access via navi-x and its actually pretty good that way. Try it and you'll see. Today, after this post I will try YouTube version 4.4 and see how that does as an earlier post suggests.
I received one last month and was not impressed. I think I used it for a day and packed it up and was going to wait for a final release of Gotham before trying it again. Maybe I will give that ROM a shot and see if it works any better. I received a little black remote with mine which was pretty much useless and for some reason it would not detect my mini DiNovo and the XBMC App on my Iphone would not detect it either ( maybe due to the V13 Alpha not complete? )
Recently tried same 1080 Rom by lewy with gotham beta 3 and it works absolutely fantastic. We just had to wait for further xbmc development all this time. The efforts spent figuring out the amazon fire tv helped to revive this old box. Now I have a huge confidence getting any ole android to not stutter. Life is good now, this is all I ever asked for. Thank You God!
Sorry as this is an old post but their might be so we people all interested in this box. I have owned this door over 1.5 years and it is probably the best electronic device I have bought from China. I currently have hooked up, using a posted USB hub, 2-3 hard drives. The largest being a 2TB. I am a movie, media junkie amd this device serves it well. Using ES File Explorer for navigation and editing. All my video files runs fine using MX Player, avi files are a little laggy starting up and seeking, but mp4, mkv, flv, 3gp, works great. The Secret is MX Player, IMO, being able to change size of subtitles (srt) is so useful. I'm using a Mele remote I think it is F10, if had keyboard on one side.

Cons are other than using it as a basic media player, it does force close alot it loss of program including ES File Explorer whether I have 3 HD or none hooked up to it. Chrome can take a few seconds to load amd also force closes. Videoder force closes. Mx Player is fairly stable. I can't seem to just hook it up to my AV Reciever using the HDMI cable, I have to use both HDMI and optical. I can't get audio 5.1 to work instead have to use my recievers decoder which is good enough to get 5.1 surround.

Just my quick review using the crappy Samsung swipe keyboard so I apologize for spelling and grammar error.
Khmerog,

Thanks for the review. Have you tried xbmc on it? Does it "display" in 1080p? meaning you can select that resolution in xbmc settings?

Also, not sure what you meant about audio 5.1 Does it mean you are able to pass-through the audio to the receiver and it detects it as dolby digital or dts?
(2013-07-19, 20:27)Ned Scott Wrote: It might not be useful, but "buy it and try it" is normally the only option we have when it comes to investigating new hardware.

It's got some nice specs on paper, but there are many variables beyond that. It is interesting to see 2GB of RAM slowly become the norm for ARM. More than XBMC typically needs, even on x86 hardware Smile

I do like the additional ports, too.

I have already tried it. It is not at all useful. There are several issues with it. They are claiming that it is fast but it is not actually. OS keep crashing. XBMC/KODI go blank and restart automatically. Movies/videos crashes
I bought one not long ago, before kody it did play 1080dpi fine after upgrading to kodi there's a lot of lagging while playing hd videos I stick to sd on this box....although showbox doesn't seem to suffer the same problem as kodi. I mean with kodi if you play hd it does play it but if you try to fast forward or rewind then you have lagging
(2015-02-19, 14:31)hanvant Wrote:
(2013-07-19, 20:27)Ned Scott Wrote: It might not be useful, but "buy it and try it" is normally the only option we have when it comes to investigating new hardware.

It's got some nice specs on paper, but there are many variables beyond that. It is interesting to see 2GB of RAM slowly become the norm for ARM. More than XBMC typically needs, even on x86 hardware Smile

I do like the additional ports, too.

I have already tried it. It is not at all useful. There are several issues with it. They are claiming that it is fast but it is not actually. OS keep crashing. XBMC/KODI go blank and restart automatically. Movies/videos crashes
I bought this cs918s almost one and a half year ago. It wasn't playing high definition files 720 or 1080, but after installing kodi I believe isenhour it started to work fine. It doesn't leg and works perfect. I just want to use blue tooth speakers or head phones with this device but don't know how to configure, this device has blue tooth built in. If some one knows how to do this please post.
(2014-08-20, 22:56)hindibuff Wrote: Khmerog,

Thanks for the review. Have you tried xbmc on it? Does it "display" in 1080p? meaning you can select that resolution in xbmc settings?

Also, not sure what you meant about audio 5.1 Does it mean you are able to pass-through the audio to the receiver and it detects it as dolby digital or dts?

I am very very sorry hindibuff. I dont really follow this forum until my sister was asking me about kodi stuff and I saw my thread. But if this is still useful to anyone. I think all files, including actual DVD files, Youtube 5.1 videos, my receiver only picks it up as 2 Channel and then my reciever converts (as best as it can) to 5.1 audio. Again my set-up is thru opital cable from CS918 to Sony DH510. I am now going to try to install Kodi onto the box and buy a new box for smoother 1080p even 4k playback. The box playback of H.265 files is sometimes choppy and I had this for over 2/3+ years. Time for upgrade.
Also I did try XMBC but I dislike it (when I frdit got it 2/3+ years ago). The main reason and maybe there is a fix to this but was the Aspect Ratio option, there was none. I do have some videos where the Aspect Ratio is incorrect, especially asian films from the 90's, and there was not option to change it. SO I went to the Android OS and use MX Player and stuck with it because of the numerous options and it did feel smoother playback IIRC vs XMBC. Another thing I like about Android OS is when watching YouTube videos I have the option of changing resolution on videos as to save bandwidth (Yep Netflix 4K is killing my Bandwidth) but YouTube is sometime buggy on the CS918 including video not loading, force closing and sometimes when loading the app it closes right away, and only way to solve this is to restart. And the Restart/Reboot and Shutdown option on the CS918 is buggy too.
Aspect ratio change has been in kodi since the original Xbox as far as I can remember.
Probably third party hardware decoding engine selcted. I have the same with zdmc (zidoo Kodi fork), when RockchipCodec selected, all video settings gone, including aspect ratio, zoom etc

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Very interesting hardware for Android...0