• 2(current)
WIP WWE/TNA/UFC PPVs and Televison Shows: A tutorial.
(2013-08-06, 01:08)exoscoriae Wrote: I'll start cruising through and adding missing ones whole filling out existing ones. I have already added fanart and a few other extras for some earlier ppv's earlier today.

Question - When I scraped it automatically put the 2 ppv's from 1985 in a set, and it filled out the <set> field for WM2. It did not do this for WM3 or Survivor Series 1 though (1987). I looked arounf on tmdb and could not find where the series tag could be set. I'd like to add these, so where might I look for this info?

I'll post here as I complete each year.

One more question - All the sets should look nice and clean when set by year except for 1986. Since there is only one ppv that year, it will default to Wrestlemania II (or at least it does for me). Any tricks to getting that to name properly? I haven't messed with it much, but I'm hoping I can manually rename the set.

Originally I had a set for the 1985-87 PPVs seeing as there was only one or two a year for the first few years. Tmdb have removed all WWE sets as of yesterday, so the sets may have to be added manually by editing the .nfos. Info will still scrape just fine. Not a major hardship, I'm going to get back in touch to try and get them reinstated though.
Weird move on their part. I've often wondered why sets aren't a basic function on all movies. It is stupid to me to have a scarper know so much about a movie, and yet not be able to simply put sequel's together.

I can write a batch script though that will auto edit our nfo's to add the proper sets. That way we don't have to manually edit them every single time we have to rescrape data (not to mention you can't edit nfo files during live scrapes, you are forced to use a program like Media Center Master to create a local nfo file which can then be edited).

After we get WWF/WWE complete I'll begin the WCW ppv's. The only ones I am missing are the WCW/New Japan Super Shows, however I still have data and art assets for them.

For background art, I have created a custom background for every wrestlemania, which I will add to them. For the other PPV's, I was considering a basic logo background. For example a standard Royal Rumble logo for all rumbles, a standard "In Your House" back ground, etc. In exceptional cases, where something high quality can be found, I would instead use that - but I have doubts that we will be able to find high quality art for every PPV, especially some of the off shoots like the first Rampage in the UK or Battle Royal in Albert Hall.
(2013-08-06, 04:01)exoscoriae Wrote: Weird move on their part. I've often wondered why sets aren't a basic function on all movies. It is stupid to me to have a scarper know so much about a movie, and yet not be able to simply put sequel's together.

I can write a batch script though that will auto edit our nfo's to add the proper sets. That way we don't have to manually edit them every single time we have to rescrape data (not to mention you can't edit nfo files during live scrapes, you are forced to use a program like Media Center Master to create a local nfo file which can then be edited).

After we get WWF/WWE complete I'll begin the WCW ppv's. The only ones I am missing are the WCW/New Japan Super Shows, however I still have data and art assets for them.

For background art, I have created a custom background for every wrestlemania, which I will add to them. For the other PPV's, I was considering a basic logo background. For example a standard Royal Rumble logo for all rumbles, a standard "In Your House" back ground, etc. In exceptional cases, where something high quality can be found, I would instead use that - but I have doubts that we will be able to find high quality art for every PPV, especially some of the off shoots like the first Rampage in the UK or Battle Royal in Albert Hall.

Sounds like a good idea. I've roughed together a few plain individual superstar fanarts for the yearly sets for those of us that will use single-logo for them. I'll need to resize some of them for consistency but what do you guys think so far?

watch gallery

I've already done the logos for 1988-2013, they're sitting on my hard drive ready to go. I have four different types of WWE logos in all:

watch gallery

I can make up some plain logo fanarts for most of the the random PPVs, once they're needed. I've also got some WrestleMania fanart that I made a while back which I'll add where missing.

Thought I would add that a basic movie set editor will be built into the next version of XBMC (Gotham), so that should make things a bit easier in the future.
great news on the movie set editor. I'll have to go read up more details on that.

The individual wrestler art looks great. I can definitely see that being useful.

The two primary art assets I want to figure out for my collection are the set posters and the PPV fanarts. For set posters I see that many people are using a wwf/wwe logo + year. It seems just a bit too basic for me though. I am more inclined to use that years Wrestlemania poster instead at this point. But that's just me. For the individual PPV fanart, I will likely do one pass to see what I can find available in regards to high res photos or flyers or whatever. Then go back and find all events with missing backgrounds and replace them with the logo of the event on a plain backdrop or something.

I started work on themoviedb stuff this morning. The first thing I noticed with Wrestlemania 1 was the fact it only had Mr T. and Hulk Hogan on it. So I have added all wrestlers and managers involved in the event, and now I am filling out their profiles and uploading pics for ever person as well. I will be going through and doing this for every PPV.

That said, I am not a big fan of the fact that some of these actors are listed by their stage names. Due to the way the actor catagory is set up, someone like Ricky Steamboat should be listed as Richard Henry Blood and then have Ricky Steamboat under the character name. Guys like Hogan and Mr. T are exceptions to the rule as they solely go by these stage names (even listed under them at IMDB).

Considering the number of wrestlers who changed their gimmicks over time though, I am attempting to use real names and character names to avoid later issues. it also matches up to imdb better that way.

Anyways, by adding all the wrestlers it will allow a person to click on someones name and get an automatic listing of every PPV that particular guy was in, which sounds like a cool feature to me.

edit:
Alright guys, I've completed 1985. Every wrestler and manager from The Wrestling Classic and Wrestlemania 1 have a page, pic, and bio. I also drew up a logo background for The Wrestling Classic. This will give you an idea of how I plan to continue working through the rest of them.
I've used IMDB as my bible, so I have used the real names for wrestlers appearing in any events I've edited where appropriate (Dwayne Johnson as The Rock, CM Punk as Himself etc). I'm with you on that, so you can look up any individual and see the different personas they've portrayed. Great work, this is starting to get some momentum Big Grin

Edit: Would probably change the Brutus Beefcake entry to Ed Leslie as Brutus Beefacke, seeing as he also appears as both Booty Man (*groan*) and The Disciple in WCW. Also Davey Boy Smith doesn't portray the British Bulldog that early in his career so either have him listed as himself or David R. Smith. Thoughts?
Well, i have edited quite a few guys to their real names. And then changed the character from "himself" to the character name.

I have also found several dupes, like there were 2 Andre the Giants. So I built up the profile of one, moved all the appearances of the other to point to the right Andre, and then filed a report on the now empty Andre to be removed as a dupe. I've done this with a few guys.

As on WM3 I have added 90-95% of the wrestlers on the card. I find there is no point in creating profiles for a few guys who were only in one wrestlemania or other PPV. This will save me a lot of head aches when I get to PPV's like the royal rumble where they sometimes flood the ppv with crap.
Yeah I just had a quick look. I found it exhausting adding the cast to the PPVs I edited, seeing as there are dupes you need to edit and names you need to search and verify. I think if we proof read each others entries we can keep the consistency high. Awesome work Big Grin
1985-1987 are done (as far as I'm concerned, others may want to add more)

By done I mean, the plot is filled out, the cast is very close to complete (and all cast have pics, bio, etc), there is at least one backdrop and at least one high quality poster.

I drew up backgrounds for wrestling classic and survivor series since they had nothing yet.

Around 1990 when the big talent change occured, I'll be back to adding tons of new cast info... blegh.
I've amended the Davey Boy Smith, Ed Leslie and James Hellwig entries so that they match sufficiently Wink
Wow, alot of work going on here at the moment. I'll ensure that my future casts adhere to the new naming conventions. It's a shame we can't do a batch update< SO It looks at all the Davey Boy Smith entries in the 'WWE Universe' list and amends them all in one go.
Deano316 - there is still this James Hellwig floating around out there:
https://www.themoviedb.org/person/112319-james-hellwig

I have been using the one with the name "The Ultimate Warrior", since that is his legal name.
At some point, would it be beneficial if we had a spreadsheet of the all the wrestlers real names, that we could use when creating PPV's?
(2013-08-06, 21:12)exoscoriae Wrote: Deano316 - there is still this James Hellwig floating around out there:
https://www.themoviedb.org/person/112319-james-hellwig

I have been using the one with the name "The Ultimate Warrior", since that is his legal name.

Imdb has him as Jim Hellwig, maybe we should go with that? I don't think the 'Hogan Rule' applies in this case.

(2013-08-06, 21:29)allsa001 Wrote: At some point, would it be beneficial if we had a spreadsheet of the all the wrestlers real names, that we could use when creating PPV's?

It may be an idea to check if there isn't an existing online source for this information, but it sure as hell wouldn't hurt.
It is his official name. As in, he actually changed it to Ultimate Warrior, legally. Hulk Hogan isn't even legally known as Hulk, his legal name is still Terry Bollea.

Quote from wikipedia:
"In 1993, Hellwig legally changed his name to Warrior. This one-word name appears on all legal documents pertaining to Warrior, and his children carry the Warrior name as their legal surname."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warrior_(wrestler)

IMDB is wrong here. It makes no sense to call him by a name that isn't even his anymore.

Anything from 85-89, please don't go changing unless you are 100% sure or have asked me first. I'm not keen to spend my time on this project just to have others come and undo it all.
So we should just call him Warrior in that case lol
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
WWE/TNA/UFC PPVs and Televison Shows: A tutorial.1