• 10(current)
chromecast
(2013-11-19, 12:26)nickr Wrote: The problem with chromecast is that it simply isn't that open. What about a usb android stick that will run xbmc? Sending from one xbmc to another is simple in gotham. Or what about simply plugging that tablet into the hdmi port of the tv? Most modernish tablets have hdmi out.

Please point me to a USB Android stick that will work. How would I control the USB stick running XBMC?

The HDMI cable is $40 and isn't long enough (6"). Her 10" tablet would be hanging by the cable from the back of the TV. Smile
(2013-11-27, 03:45)Barry D. Wrote:
(2013-11-19, 12:26)nickr Wrote: The problem with chromecast is that it simply isn't that open. What about a usb android stick that will run xbmc? Sending from one xbmc to another is simple in gotham. Or what about simply plugging that tablet into the hdmi port of the tv? Most modernish tablets have hdmi out.

Please point me to a USB Android stick that will work. How would I control the USB stick running XBMC?

The HDMI cable is $40 and isn't long enough (6"). Her 10" tablet would be hanging by the cable from the back of the TV. Smile
I don't know much about the pros and cons of android sticks. Ask in one of the android threads.

Controlling an instance of XBMC over the network is easy, install yatse on the tablet, it is an xbmc remote control (and much more) app.

You can buy longer cables than 6 inches.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2013-11-27, 06:09)nickr Wrote: You can buy longer cables than 6 inches.

I didn't know they even made HDMI cables that short. In what situation would you use something like that?
I think with tablets, they are often a stub to convert a full size connector to the small port on the tablet.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Ah, OK, an adapter. That would make sense. $40 seems awfully steep though, unless it's sold by Apple.
(2013-11-27, 06:31)artrafael Wrote: Ah, OK, an adapter. That would make sense. $40 seems awfully steep though, unless it's sold by Apple.

Or Samsung in fact. Blush
(2013-11-27, 06:18)artrafael Wrote:
(2013-11-27, 06:09)nickr Wrote: You can buy longer cables than 6 inches.

I didn't know they even made HDMI cables that short. In what situation would you use something like that?

I have 3" and 1" HDMI cables in the mancave Smile They come in handy when the display/device you are connecting is too wide to fit inside the normal HDMI connector physical envelope.
The idea of XBMC acting as a chromecast receiver is just sexy.

Currently I run an Ouya and a Roku to support XBMC and Netflix/Hulu/Pandora/HBOGo respectively.

I know that there are plugins for such things on XBMC, but being able to have a tablet that passes Netflix credentials to a XBMC on Ouya so that I could watch Orange is the New Black with something that sort of has Netflix's blessing would be a damn nice thing.
Subtitles - Serious Business
Netflix works on XBMC, why do you need to complicate things?
Because being able to "cast" stuff (photo's, music, movies) from an Android-phone the way iOS-users have been able to with AirPlay is a damn sexy thought.
(2014-02-18, 09:12)nickr Wrote: Netflix works on XBMC, why do you need to complicate things?

My experience has been that Netflix sometimes works with with XBMC. Youtube sometimes works with with XBMC.

X sometimes works with with XBMC.

for i in * ; do echo "$i sometimes works with XBMC." ; done

My wife gets cranky when I have to stop and mess with something to make things work.

It seems like chromecast lets an app send a URL (with credentials, session numbers, whatever) to a receiver (dongle, whatever), and then lets the receiver connect to the server wherever to stream video. XBMC is pretty darn good at connecting to some server and playing back the video streamed there. The servers trust the dongle requesting the stream. That's *huge*.

There are open source projects that do the other part, and while they aren't something that could likely be sucked into XBMC, they have already done the reverse engineering part.

I would never say it's easy, but I would say that it seems like many of the hard parts have already been solved.
Subtitles - Serious Business
Just thought I would mention that BubbleUPnP (Android) just updated to support Chromecast, and it already has XBMC support. So, this allows you to specify your an XBMC instance as the BubbleUPnP library, and then select any content you want from that library and send it to a Chromecast. You can optionally install the BubbleUPnP "server" on a computer on your network and it will automatically detect the server and use it to transcode unsupported formats. I found that my videos had no audio until I configured the server. Unfortunately you need a full license to stream for more than 20 minutes which costs $4.69 in the Play Store.

I tried it out with the transcoding server and everything seemed to work quite well, but I only tested a couple of HD MKV movies. The UI is intuitive, but not nearly as nice as an XBMC instance or a rich remote like Yatse. However it does give you a few ways to navigate your library, it's fast, and it includes the cover art so it's not too bad. Quality seemed great in my (brief) tests.

As far as I can tell, this is currently the best solution for sending XBMC content to a Chromecast.
For those interested,

As of today, Google started to sell the Chromecast for 39$ in Canada : Here
Cast now to support android screen mirroring as well

Yatse has been a nice work around for android photos to XBMC, but screen mirroring would be insane
I would still love to see native Chromecast support on XBMC for android the sdk is open for everyone now so it should be do able. There are a few apps that can be used as a go between of sorts but actually having the cast button in xbmc would be very helpful and I think with Chromecast app custom players there would probably be a way to support must major formats.
  • 10(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
chromecast6