• 4(current)
chromecast
(2013-07-25, 12:07)krish_2k4 Wrote: I was thinking of using the interface on your tablet then having an option (like a button) to play the movie on Chromecast.

This is how they demoed Netflix on the presentation. They used the normal interface on the tablet, then selected the movie to play on chromecast and just the movie played. Anyways I guess time will tell.

The solution that comes to my mind is built-in support for the XBMC-remote app. XBMC-remote has a much better interface for browsing content then XBMC itself has on a small screen. Your setup would be something like this:

One true XBMC server in the living room. This is the one you use probably for 90% of your watching TV.

Chromecast dongles on any other TV in the house.

Opening up XBMC-remote, you can hit "play" on any file and then choose which TV it is played on. This can be either the main XBMC server, or any of the chromecast clients.

Chromecast, if selected, then plays the media directly from the XBMC server.
(2013-07-25, 21:53)Fritz Wrote:
(2013-07-25, 12:07)krish_2k4 Wrote: I was thinking of using the interface on your tablet then having an option (like a button) to play the movie on Chromecast.

This is how they demoed Netflix on the presentation. They used the normal interface on the tablet, then selected the movie to play on chromecast and just the movie played. Anyways I guess time will tell.

The solution that comes to my mind is built-in support for the XBMC-remote app. XBMC-remote has a much better interface for browsing content then XBMC itself has on a small screen. Your setup would be something like this:

One true XBMC server in the living room. This is the one you use probably for 90% of your watching TV.

Chromecast dongles on any other TV in the house.

Opening up XBMC-remote, you can hit "play" on any file and then choose which TV it is played on. This can be either the main XBMC server, or any of the chromecast clients.

Chromecast, if selected, then plays the media directly from the XBMC server.

"sweet dreams are made of this"
Tip: You Can Play Local Video Files Through Chromecast

.mp4 in this example, but hey, it's a start. edit: limited to 720p too...
just gonna leave this here... http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=168296
When I saw Chromecast the first thought I had was can I watch videos from XBMC on it? I really want XBMC for Android/PC to support sending video to Chromecast as opposed to being a Chromecast receiver which I suppose is a cool feature but would be a lot harder to implement.
So it's now possible to stream mp4 files from PC to Chromecast using Chrome browser (CTRL+O - Open desired file and cast). As for XBMC, I could imagine using XBMC on an Android tablet or phone to navigate and then just casting the audio/video/subs (will it support srt style subs?) to the TV instead of launching the playback on the tablet.
All interaction could still be made on the tablet or phone (like changing subs, audio, menu interactions, skip, etc... but the video would be cast to the TV. This is just my own personal vision of course. I can't imagine it happening any time soon. But gosh, would I love to see this happen. I just bought a MINIX NEO X5 for the TV in the living room (an am very disappointed btw. I can play back HD only using an external player. XBMC won't do 720p let alone 1080 on this little box, so right now I use it to watch mainly my SD TV Shows), and was considering buying a comparable PIVOS (with proper XBMC support and HD playback from within XBMC) for the TV in my room. Now the PIVOS purchase will be put on hold until I see this develop a bit more.
(2013-07-26, 11:34)Pitbull_Raven Wrote: So it's now possible to stream mp4 files from PC to Chromecast using Chrome browser (CTRL+O - Open desired file and cast). As for XBMC, I could imagine using XBMC on an Android tablet or phone to navigate and then just casting the audio/video/subs (will it support srt style subs?) to the TV instead of launching the playback on the tablet.
All interaction could still be made on the tablet or phone (like changing subs, audio, menu interactions, skip, etc... but the video would be cast to the TV. This is just my own personal vision of course. I can't imagine it happening any time soon. But gosh, would I love to see this happen. I just bought a MINIX NEO X5 for the TV in the living room (an am very disappointed btw. I can play back HD only using an external player. XBMC won't do 720p let alone 1080 on this little box, so right now I use it to watch mainly my SD TV Shows), and was considering buying a comparable PIVOS (with proper XBMC support and HD playback from within XBMC) for the TV in my room. Now the PIVOS purchase will be put on hold until I see this develop a bit more.

If you had bought the Pivos XIOS in the first place you could have been doing all of this already with XBMC's own remote's.

Chromecast is meant for internet video first and foremost not local playback.

Plus once the improvements in the pipeline to the UPNP/DLNA play using feature of XBMC come into effect, all those existing DLNA media players built into devices will be usable, so you can use XBMC running on a tablet as a controller if that's your desire. No need to go buy a limited Chromecast in fact you'd be better off buying something like the XIOS or even a WDTV Live box.
Unfortunately,....these "under $40 devices" (raspbpi included) are so very tempting to buy.
However,...the bang for your buck is something left to be desired.

Don't get me wrong,..I'm not saying there's anything really wrong with them,...my point is this:
Too many newbies have this thought,.."What the heck,..I'll buy this,...the most I lose is $xx.xx dollars,...I can afford that loss if it fails as a device".
Again,..I'm not bashing raspbpi either,..I'm just saying that people expect a lot more than the device is really capable of in the first place.

I'll be the first to admit,...I have to lock my wallet in a safe everytime one of these cool tech toys comes out.
Do yourself a favor,.....save your money until you double it (or even longer) and buy a substantial system that's proven to handle what it is you want of a device.

If you look at this video by Brad Linder on the 5:00 mark, you will see him playing local media through a chrome browser tab. So It is not impossible.

I will be buying this, XBMC on the RPI is great, but for some reason opening streams is very very slow. The Chromecast will fill this perfectly.

And in regard to the Raspberry PI, this is never a lost investment, there are 1000 different uses for it, not only XBMC.
(2013-07-26, 12:16)Starstream Wrote: If you had bought the Pivos XIOS in the first place you could have been doing all of this already with XBMC's own remote's.

Chromecast is meant for internet video first and foremost not local playback.

Plus once the improvements in the pipeline to the UPNP/DLNA play using feature of XBMC come into effect, all those existing DLNA media players built into devices will be usable, so you can use XBMC running on a tablet as a controller if that's your desire. No need to go buy a limited Chromecast in fact you'd be better off buying something like the XIOS or even a WDTV Live box.
The MINIX is quite comparable to the Pivos. Unfortunately it doesn't have the HD support in XBMC... yet! Hoping that will change. MINIX say they are working with XBMC team on this issue. I don't know if they are to be trusted with this info or not, but I sure hope it's true. The device is actually quite good for what I wnt it for. I can do some light surfing using Chrome Browser, a bit of gaming.... nothing to serious. I can use Archos for HD video but of course it's not even close to as good as XBMC. But all in all it's a pretty decent device for the price tag. The Pivos is generally the same device, but with HD support in XBMC. Hence why for the bedroom I want a Pivos.

(2013-07-26, 13:38)GortWillSaveUs Wrote: I'll be the first to admit,...I have to lock my wallet in a safe everytime one of these cool tech toys comes out.
Do yourself a favor,.....save your money until you double it (or even longer) and buy a substantial system that's proven to handle what it is you want of a device.
Lolz... me to. The problem for me is I know the combination to the safe so I keep taking it out again Tongue

As for the buying something more expensive, no can do. I have a budget for things. I won't spend more on a device if I know there is an "adequate" solution out there. The Pivos will get the job done. It won't get it done perfectly, but it'll do the trick well enough for my needs. So no reason to spend more $$$.
what if all i want to do with xbmc on the chromecast is use the add ons? Aren't the add ons internet links? Then i guess it wouldn't be too hard to implement.
On first blush after the breakfast demo, I was pretty hyped up... but after some time, and a few messages about the reality's and I've fallen off the wagon. There may still be a place for this working with XBMC, but I'm a little doubtful of the benefits, of course seeing is believing. Revison 3 hand a hands on, and It was a bit disappointing to see a wall wart and cable needed to power up this USB device.

Abdu codem up.. love to see what you can do.
Considering you'll always need a second device to actually run XBMC, there's no reason why a Raspberry Pi can't do this. You can avoid all the UI slow-downs of the Pi by using the Pi simply as a UPnP receiver, and beam all video content from another XBMC device. Exact same thing, same price, better compatibility with more software.

The more I think about it, the more Chromecast seems dumb. Google can't get their act together, and now they're making products that complete with other Google products.
Chromecast == More Google Kool-aid but that did not stop me from getting a few to play with.
(2013-07-26, 23:22)Ned Scott Wrote: The more I think about it, the more Chromecast seems dumb. Google can't get their act together, and now they're making products that complete with other Google products.

The way I look at it, Google obviously want to promote Chromecast (the casting feature) as its now available in their latest phones and tablets, but can't do that until there are Chromecast receiver products in the market. Hence the $35 Chromecast dongle, which is simply an enabler, a quick (and cheap) way for Google to bring the receiver functionality to market, otherwise they're faced with a chicken & egg scenario - the functionality available in their phones and tablets, but with nothing to cast to. Pretty much Miracast all over again.

For the time being that probem is now solved, but longer term I can't imagine Google intend or want to sell tens of millions of these dongles, it's surely in Google's interests for third party manufacturers to quickly build-in Chromecast receiver support so that Google don't have to continue shipping hardware, and their phones and tablets will work with pretty much anything connected to a TV...
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
chromecast6