Script that displays a custom window without making a full addon
Hi,

Is it possible to create a script for XBMC to display a custom window that shows an image, without having to create a folder and an xml file? (In other words, without making it a full fledged addon?) I tried using controls but I couldn't make it work. My idea was to use XBMC.RunScript() in keyboard.xml to run this script.

Thanks!
You mean display a static image (like a screensaver without the motion)?
That's right, one specific, static image in a window similar to a dialog.ok.
Is there a reason you don't want to create a folder? Otherwise, you could place your image file in its own folder and use the Slideshow function to display the image. Since there's only one image file in the folder, it will just display that image statically.

You can then map that function to a keyboard or remote control key via a keyboard.xml definition:
Code:
<some-key>SlideShow(/path/to/folder/containing/single/image-file)</some-key>
Hmm, that does work nicely, except for the fact that triggering that slideshow stops playback of everything else. I'd like to be able to display an image while any media file is being played and close said image without having to stop playback (or at least, allowing it to resume exactly where it left off, position and playlist intact).

Well, creating a folder seems a bit too much for something that I expect (or expected) to be simple. The contents of the addon.xml file confuse me, and while I could start analyzing some plugins to understand how they work, I'm a bit discouraged by the fact that they are probably so complex in comparison with what I'm trying to achieve.
If you're playing music, you can escape back the home page and then launch your slideshow. Your music will continue to play in the background. It would help if you provide details about the exact scenario you're trying to accomplish.
I'm trying to display an image that helps the viewer to remember what certain buttons on a remote control do. I remapped these buttons to do things they weren't originally intended to do, so the symbols associated with them are no longer helpful. I had to do this because I ran out of buttons.
Stick a printout to the back of the remote listing what button does what action?
That's as practical as it gets, but I was hoping to be able to display it onscreen.
You don't mention which platform youre using, but maybe an external image viewer program that can display over xbmc?
Hmm... that'll probably do. Thanks!

Windows 7, by the way.
I printed out new button labels using self-adhesive label stock and cut them out and placed them over the imprinted labels on my remote. This way, they're right where they need to be seen by anyone who picks up the remote. Not pretty, but effective.
It's effective alright, and while it may not be pretty, at least it's better than using tape. Thank you.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Script that displays a custom window without making a full addon0