Ipad as Media Center
Hi, everyone, hope you are all well.

I was wondering the following.

I have an ipad 6 in 1 connector kit.

Would I be able to use the IPAD3 & XBMC to play 1080p movies (movies are on an external hard drive):

IPAD to HDMI to LED tv
IPAD to USB to Power charger

Will I suffer lag or buffering issues?

THanks!
If the external hard drive is directly connected to the iPad via USB, then HDMI won't work at the same time. If something else, like a NAS device of some kind, is handling the HDD, then it should work fine. See the iOS FAQ (wiki) for details on how to use the external HDMI output.
Thanks Ned.

Let me ask you something else.

I still haven't used the hdmi cable. Is the 720p output limitation for airplay & hdmi or just airplay?

Also, I'm having some buffering issues while playing a full 1080p mkv file (8gb file). Is it due to lack of process power or just a network issue? (other 1080p ripped files seem to play just fine (around 2gb))

Thanks a lot!
720 is just a limit of airplay. You should be able to do full 1080 output on the iPad 3.

Buffering could be any number of things. Check out the buffering/troubleshooting section of the iOS FAQ (wiki).
Thanks for your time.

I was thinking of building a small htpc, but it seems using and IPad 3 is a solid choice too.

:)
It works surprisingly well. I imagine old iPhones and iPads being used as actual HTPCs as a form of recycling. Plus you get native video players like Netflix and other services at the same time. You can even use a bluetooth mouse on a jailbroken iOS device, for total remote control :D

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ipad as Media Center0