best media center setup (incl netflix) please help
Hi all,
I am dealing with a dilemma. I used to be very happy camper, media center wise.

My set up was:
- NAS (Time Capsule) with all my music (mainly MP3's) and videos (AVI's, MKV's, etc).
- AppleTV1 as hardware to run XBMC which acquired video/audio from the NAS
- hooked up to my amplifier and TV
- iPhone as a XBMC remote

My setup now is the same, however I am using a MacMini as XBMC hardware instead of an AppleTV1. Big deal for me is also not to have to turn on a computer to use the media center (AppleTV1 and MacMini are always on).

I was even more of a happy camper with the MacMini as hardware because it also runs the Spotify application in the background which can be also be remotely operated via the app Spotify Remote on the iPhone and a app Spotify Remote Server on the MacMini. (I know you can use Airplay to stream music from the Spotify app on the iPhone, but the quality is better in my setup (please let me know if this is BS)).

Then iOS7 came around and Netflix finally became available in my country. And now I am getting frustrated that there does not seem to be one solution to do all I want to do. There is no Netflix add-on in XBMC, and iOS7 seems to cause trouble using airplay for photo's and youtube with XBMC Eden.

What is the best way to get all that I want into one media center? What hardware/software combo? So:
Access video (all types of file types) play in combination with srt files
Access audio (all types of file types)
Access all audio and video files on a NAS (not on a computer running iTunes!)
Run Spotify
Have a Netflix option in the media center (no browser based access)
Being able to run Airplay for video, audio, photo's

PLEASE HELP, is this possible. Doesn't seem like too much right!?
i was looking for the same thing and could never figure it out. in the end i bought a $50 roku box which i use for all the streaming services. with my universal remote i have a macro which switches everything over from the xbmc htpc to roku with the press of 1 button.
You can watch Netflix on Mac mini on a browser. Isn't perfect though.

Another option is to put Windows on it and use wmc Netflix plug-in. Still it will be a non xbmc solution.
I'm going to agree that unfortunately the best netflix/amazon/whatever paid service experience is likely to be had on a cheap additional device. Roku, apple tv, chromecast, whatever. I don't think you can get netflix's super HD on anything besides their windows 8 app and the standalone boxes: https://support.netflix.com/en/node/8731. The amazon prime stream looks far better on the xbox one app then it does in the browser. It's a shame. Invest in a cheap universal remote if you don't have one already and switching between devices isn't such a big deal.
Its a no go if you keep this one up; "Have a Netflix option in the media center (no browser based access)"
Kodi 19.1 Android/Google(TV) [ Shield TV Pro [64b] / Mi Box S [32b] / Mi Projector / Fire 4k TV stick / CC with Google TV ]
Kodi 19 [3D MVC build] Shuttle DH270 [Kaby Lake i3-7300/HD630 graphics - W10-1903]
Get an Ouya, Side-load SPMC (Their unofficial release of XBMC with DTS Audio Support). Works very well. You can then side-load the Google Play store and install Netflix. You can then access Netflix from XBMC on Ouya.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
best media center setup (incl netflix) please help0