Gigabyte Brix + Intel NUC + IR
Hello,

I'm trying to put together the most cost/power effective HTPC that will be able to stream 1080p/LiveTV. I had my heart set on an Intel NUC until I realised Intel do not support USB wake from S5 on their boards (so I wouldn't be able to power on the NUC via a USB IR Receiver and my Harmony remote.. unless I was to take extreme measures that I stumbled across in the forums here. I have a feeling I wouldn't be content with a Raspberry Pi. Most of my movies are around 5~6gb and I'd hate to lose quality/experience lag. The fact that it doesn't have a gigabit nic worries me. I'm not sure, I could be worrying myself over nothing and it could work perfectly for what I want.

So that left me with the Gigabyte Brix but I'm wondering if anyone is using one/can offer some feedback? More specifically, is anyone using it with an IR receiver + remote/able to wake from S5? If so, what IR receiver are you using?

My Gigabyte build would be.. (prices in AUD)
Gigabyte GB-XM12-3227 Intel i3 - $379
Crucial M4 mSATA 64gb - $99
Corsair 4gb DDR3 SO-DIMM - $42
Total - $520

If the Brix can only wake from S3 like the NUC, I will go with the NUC because it will cost me $40 less (trying to save $$) unless there is another option I'm perhaps not considering?

Actually is anyone even just having their NUC/Brix/client power on 24-7 (obviously goes to sleep when not in use)? I was contemplating just buying a NUC and accepting that the remote will only be able to wake it up from S3 (power consumption test here didn't look that bad at all).

Sorry, there's a few questions in there!

Thanks a lot in advance!
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=166886

Do it!!!
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

The Haswell NUC that should be out in a couple of months has an on board IR (built in), anyone know if this will enable waking from a remote i.e. Harmony?
(2013-07-29, 03:08)Platypus2 Wrote: The Haswell NUC that should be out in a couple of months has an on board IR (built in), anyone know if this will enable waking from a remote i.e. Harmony?

That's right, but would you buy i5 just for a media player? As its only that and above that has the IR.

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

(2013-07-28, 22:28)jammyb Wrote: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=166886

Do it!!!

Will this solve the wake from S5 dilemma though?

(2013-07-29, 03:08)Platypus2 Wrote: The Haswell NUC that should be out in a couple of months has an on board IR (built in), anyone know if this will enable waking from a remote i.e. Harmony?

Hmmm looks interesting, need something up and running relatively quickly though Sad
I am using the Gigabyte Brix (i5) version (8GB / 120GB SSD) - I don't know how cost effective it really is - but I stream all my HD content and didn't want to deal with stutter so I was willing to spend a little more to have a box capable of what I needed - plus love the size.

I don't use USB for anything on this box and I don't use wireless - it's connected via gigabit LAN which does supports wake from S5 and then I use my android phone to wake the box and also as a remote control.

I don't leave the box on 24x7 as there is no real reason - WOL works perfectly well and with the mSATA drive it pretty much instantly starts.
(2013-07-29, 18:57)dhumac Wrote: I am using the Gigabyte Brix (i5) version (8GB / 120GB SSD) - I don't know how cost effective it really is - but I stream all my HD content and didn't want to deal with stutter so I was willing to spend a little more to have a box capable of what I needed - plus love the size.
Glad to hear it's working out well! I will probably settle for an i3 (need to buy a few of these things!).

(2013-07-29, 18:57)dhumac Wrote: I don't use USB for anything on this box and I don't use wireless - it's connected via gigabit LAN which does supports wake from S5 and then I use my android phone to wake the box and also as a remote control.
I was thinking for a NUC even I could leverage WOL via the XBMC app for iOS but I don't like the idea of using 2 remotes (one to also turn on the TV) when I have a Harmony One remote sitting here Confused
We've had just one remote controlling everything here for a while and I'd feel like we'd be going backwards if I have to teach people to turn the TV/amp on with one remote then turn the HTPC on with the iPad haha. It seems really petty I know.

Yeah I've noticed the boot times are incredible with these new machines/mSATA drives. Can't wait to get my hands on one but I still can't find one that's going to suit!
(2013-07-29, 15:12)Bocky Wrote:
(2013-07-28, 22:28)jammyb Wrote: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=166886

Do it!!!

Will this solve the wake from S5 dilemma though?

Read the thread bud. I fitted simerec into it so I can switch it on and off from my harmony remote!

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

(2013-07-29, 20:17)jammyb Wrote: Read the thread bud. I fitted simerec into it so I can switch it on and off from my harmony remote!
Ah apologies dude, I did have a read but missed the part where you acknowledge "then can actually power the thing up and start using it!".

Cheers jammyb
I just got finished setting up my new HTPC (I hope). I started with a Raspberry Pi - that just wasnt going to cut it. Its a cool device and all but it does not have the power to handle high bit rates all especially with DTS tracks. Plus I wanted to use the Aeon Nox skin which is way to heavy for the pi.

I then got the Gigabyte Brix i3 because it has some better specs then the NUC. Short story - I returned it a few days after getting it because I could NOT get any of the IR remotes to work right with the Linux distros. Windows 7 worked fine. My conclusion was that it had something to do with the USB3 ports - there are drivers for windows but not for linux even though the linux os's (Ubuntu full, minimal and whatever OpenELEC uses) sees the devices. I just couldnt get the software to see the IR commands.

So I went with the NUC since it is still rocking the USB2 ports. This solved all of my IR problems. I have tried the same 3 flavors of linux and all worked with the IR remotes. I am actually using a URC Remote Control Network (MSC-400 with MX-980s) and was able to both use the URC IR database and learn a few buttons from the MCE remote I picked up and everything integrates great. The NUC is now in a media closet hooked up to a 4x4 HMDI switch so I can run it to 4 different TV in my house. Since the swtich provides a "fake" EDID to the NUC I do not have any audio problems which switching.

I cannot do a remote power up but I find that I really do not need to since the Sleep mode (S3?) works very well and the IR Receiver can wake it just fine. Its also faster to wake then a full boot - granted we are probably talking a 5-10 second difference.

BTW, another other major difference between the Brix and the NUC - the BIOS is WAY better on the intel. The Birx's bios is a joke - very few options. The Intel has many more options for tweaking. True, most people will probably never use any of them but it is still nice to have the option.

Hope that helps.
Ernie
(2013-07-30, 13:37)aesalazar Wrote: I just got finished setting up my new HTPC (I hope). I started with a Raspberry Pi - that just wasnt going to cut it. Its a cool device and all but it does not have the power to handle high bit rates all especially with DTS tracks. Plus I wanted to use the Aeon Nox skin which is way to heavy for the pi.
Good to know - every now and again I think to myself maybe I should just give one a go but I think that's definitely given me a good idea of how realistic that is.

(2013-07-30, 13:37)aesalazar Wrote: I then got the Gigabyte Brix i3 because it has some better specs then the NUC. Short story - I returned it a few days after getting it because I could NOT get any of the IR remotes to work right with the Linux distros. Windows 7 worked fine. My conclusion was that it had something to do with the USB3 ports - there are drivers for windows but not for linux even though the linux os's (Ubuntu full, minimal and whatever OpenELEC uses) sees the devices. I just couldnt get the software to see the IR commands.
That's some handy info, thanks! Sounds like going with the NUC for the fact that it has USB 2.0 and will therefore cause less IR headaches could be a good idea.. even though I was almost tempted to buy the Brix because as you said, it has some better specs.

(2013-07-30, 13:37)aesalazar Wrote: I cannot do a remote power up but I find that I really do not need to since the Sleep mode (S3?) works very well and the IR Receiver can wake it just fine. Its also faster to wake then a full boot - granted we are probably talking a 5-10 second difference.
I'm thinking I'm just going to leave mine on (/S3) until simerec bring out their new remote switch which will support both power on and media control (apparently predicted end of October). The difference between S3 and S5 in terms of power usage I've read is minimal anyway.

Thank you for sharing Smile
NUC has internal USB Smile

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

Good point about the internal USB!

For power consumption, 2 watts in sleep mode. Very respectable IMHO:

http://www.tpcdb.com/list.php?page=1&ord...vg&type=13
http://www.tpcdb.com/product.php?id=1740

Ernie
(2013-07-29, 18:57)dhumac Wrote: I am using the Gigabyte Brix (i5) version (8GB / 120GB SSD) - I don't know how cost effective it really is - but I stream all my HD content and didn't want to deal with stutter so I was willing to spend a little more to have a box capable of what I needed - plus love the size.

I don't use USB for anything on this box and I don't use wireless - it's connected via gigabit LAN which does supports wake from S5 and then I use my android phone to wake the box and also as a remote control.

I don't leave the box on 24x7 as there is no real reason - WOL works perfectly well and with the mSATA drive it pretty much instantly starts.

I have the Gigabyte BRIX GB-XM1-3537 (rev. 1.0) - Core i7 3537U 2 GHz - with intel HD 4000 but am not able to playback the video fluently. Also the playback seems on quality (hard to define, res. is the same) less then my 4 year old DUNE HD SMART 1D.

My HDMI goes through an ONKYO AV reciever, as does my DUNE HD.

How did you configure XBMC to make it play fluently ? audio setting ?

Thanks

Kind Regards

I have the Gigabyte BRIX GB-XM1-3537 (rev. 1.0) - Core i7 3537U 2 GHz - with intel HD 4000 but am not able to playback the video fluently. Also the playback seems on quality (hard to define, res. is the same) less then my 4 year old DUNE HD SMART 1D.

My HDMI goes through an ONKYO AV reciever, as does my DUNE HD.

How did you configure XBMC to make it play fluently ? audio setting ?

Thanks

Kind Regards

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Gigabyte Brix + Intel NUC + IR0