[Release] Dashboard Screensaver
Dashboard Screensaver

Summary of features
The dashboard screensaver is an XBMC screensaver displaying RSS Feeds, current Weather conditions, 2-day Weather forecast and a quote of a stock of your choice.

You can easily configure...:
  • the to be displayed RSS feeds (currently tested with n-tv.de, spiegel.de)
  • how long a single News item will be displayed
  • the Yahoo! stockquote Symbol you want to be displayed
  • the alternative Label Name for your stock quote
Download and How To Install
You can download the latest Version from my github account:
https://github.com/bilakos/script.screensaver.dashboard (Download as zip)
and install from zip (Standard XBMC procedure)

Developer Notes:
The starting point was given by sphere and his simple screensaver example. Thanks, again. My credits go to spehere.
The documentation of the code is not as good as it should be, but still working on it.

Tested with spiegel.de

Tested with n-tv.de

Configuration of RSS feed

Configuration of Stock quote

I was just thinking about something like this last week. Thanks for reading my mind. Smile
It would not install for me..........."Dependencies not met. Contact author."

I am on Gotham 13.1 RC Windows, MQ 5...........no problems with any thing else working.......?
The only dependency is xbmc.python, so it must be a versioning thing.

Same problem on openelec 4.03 (Gotham 13.1rc1)
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
nickr you're right. There is no dependency other than XBMC.python.

Is there a log file you can share? In the meantime i will test it on RC13.1
(2014-06-01, 09:37)bilakos Wrote: nickr you're right. There is no dependency other than XBMC.python.

Is there a log file you can share? In the meantime i will test it on RC13.1

import addon="xbmc.python"

version="2.0"

Is wrong. Needs to be 2.1.0
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
I am doing something wrong?
I enter "http://rss.cnn.com/rss/cnn_topstories.rss" as the rss uri feed setting and use default loop interval setting and it does not work. The feed is good so what am I missing? Where is the addon picking up weather location from?

Stock quote is all I can get to work!

Can someone with better skills help me out.............Thank you.

I really like this idea.....great work
Hi,

Unfortunately, I have designed the app only to process true XML RSS. As far as I can see it from CNNs site it looks like the content is not available in native XML RSS.

Sorry, but will have a look later again if I can implement somethng for that.
It would be great if:

1. Add multiple rss feeds
2. Customize how many stories from each feed (say the first 5, 10, 20)
3. Have a couple more stock quotes if there is room for them
4. Custom background path so we can maintain continuity for our themes

Thanks!
Using KODI since 2002, back when Xbox Media Player ran on a modded xbox, soldered modchip and all..."the good old days."
@bilakos and @dCypher - you can use http://chimpfeedr.com/ to combine multiple rss feeds. I just did so myself and tested successfully.
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
I have really wanted this screen saver to work but after spending about 3 hours trying all kinds of different RSS feeds I am at a loss. Does anyone have any American feeds that work?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Release] Dashboard Screensaver1