[RELEASE] Video/Audio Screensaver: Directory
Hi,
this is a screensaver addon for playing random video/audio files (+playlists) from a directory, including subfolders (Local: all levels, Network: one level). Choose the directory via the addon settings.
Default keys (Pause, Skip, Info) are still usable while playing - hit Stop / X / Escape to quit.

Note: Dont try to quit the screensaver immediately after it starts, else XBMC could freeze. Wait at least 10 seconds!
If you have problems exiting the screensaver, you can increase the exit delay via the add-on settings.

Its available via my testing-repo.

Have fun, Smile
asde
Thank you. Is it Android compatible? After configuring the add-on I am getting a blank screen once the screensaver is triggered.
(2013-07-31, 17:48)Jmhthefirst Wrote: Thank you. Is it Android compatible? After configuring the add-on I am getting a blank screen once the screensaver is triggered.
It should be - but i didnt tested it on android. Looks like it didnt find any videos to play.
I fixed this in v1.0.1 and added a notification for that.

There are videos in the directory (or in any subdir)? What file extension do they have?
Or is it a network share? Because only local directories are supported at the moment.

Please test v1.0.1: If you still get a blank screen, it maybe just takes too long to look for the videos.
I tested it on a directory with a lot of stuff in it - and it only took 1-2 seconds. But maybe i have to implement a result cache for slow machines...
v1.0.4:
- Fixed bug when exiting screensaver
v1.0.5:
- Added video file extensions
v1.0.6:
- Added setting to force volume
v1.0.8:
- Added support for network shares
- Added audio & playlist file extensions
Your repo is empty. Please post an installable zipfile. That would be way handier.

Frodo 12.2 Windows
(2013-08-13, 18:26)Ballistic Wrote: Your repo is empty.
It's not empty - this is a known xbmc bug. Try a "Force refresh" via the context menu.

(2013-08-13, 18:26)Ballistic Wrote: Please post an installable zipfile. That would be way handier.
That would make things more complicated. You would have to always redownload/install the latest version.
A repository is much more comfortable for both sides...
If a video is triggered by this will it run while music is playing? I didn't think that was possible.
(2013-08-20, 20:09)rcrh Wrote: If a video is triggered by this will it run while music is playing? I didn't think that was possible.
Nope, playing videos while hearing music is not possible...
(2013-08-20, 22:53)AddonScriptorDE Wrote:
(2013-08-20, 20:09)rcrh Wrote: If a video is triggered by this will it run while music is playing? I didn't think that was possible.
Nope, playing videos while hearing music is not possible...

That's what I thought. Thanks.

Generally if I have my TV & XBMC on it's because I'm using it (watching shows or listening to music). I can't image turning it on to run a screen saver.

Too bad.
(2013-08-20, 23:07)rcrh Wrote: Generally if I have my TV & XBMC on it's because I'm using it (watching shows or listening to music). I can't image turning it on to run a screen saver.
I think all people have their mediacenter on for using it! Wink It's just for easy background entertainment if you don't have anything running.
Try the InfinityList.com Video Screensaver - most awesome action sports videos i have ever seen.
For example, i sometimes have it running when cleaning my apartment. Awesome videos with cool music...
@AddonScriptorDE
This addon is so freaking awesome, now i can play my Pixar Shorts when idle. Kids love it and the adults also Tongue

Thanks for this.

1 Suggestion, i noticed a few screensavers from you like this, can't you merge them to 1?
(2013-08-23, 22:39)schumi2004 Wrote: @AddonScriptorDE
This addon is so freaking awesome, now i can play my Pixar Shorts when idle. Kids love it and the adults also Tongue

Thanks for this.

1 Suggestion, i noticed a few screensavers from you like this, can't you merge them to 1?

+1 on this one. Having a setting "source", and select the preffered source. This could replace all your screensaver releases into 1 great Addon.
Thank you both for the feedback...
I already thought of merging them to one addon, but i don't really see any advantage for the user (only for me when changing general code).
The only difference for the user would be, that he changes the screensaver via the settings, instead of doing it via the screensaver addon menu with icon & description.

So, no advantage but some contras:
- There are "Video", "Video/Audio" and "Video/Image" screensavers available. When merging them, i could name it "Video/Audio/Image" Screensaver, but this mabe would irritate some users because the audio/image stuff is not available with all sources.
- No icon / description possible per screensaver, so people can't imagine what the screensaver does / what content is shown.
- Settings would be messed up. Example: iTunes Trailers has currently 2 tabs (will add a third one for the video type). When merged, i have to join them to one.
- Dependencies: For example, the reddit screensaver needs "plugin.image.reddit_com" and "plugin.video.reddit_tv". None of the other screensavers need it.

Please let me know, if you see any advantage in merging them...
Nothing tot add to your arguments altough I wouldn't mind you saving yourself maintaining multiple addons.

Thnx for sharing all your great work.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] Video/Audio Screensaver: Directory1