OS X Resolution problems with vnc connection
I'm in the process of setting up a new install of xbmc on a MacMini 2011. I've been using a remote vnc screen sharing connection while working on it so everyone else can still watch TV. The problem is that any time I have to restart xbmc the resolution changes and xbmc gets stuck on the splash screen. I can fix it by going into the living room and switching the source on my avr to the mini, this sets resolution back to 1920 x 1080 and everything works fine again. This all appears to be related to the fact that the mini has no connected monitor (TV) when xbmc shuts down. That's when the resolution changes.

I found an old Eden thread from users with similar problems. They fixed them by making system changes using Xcode. But I hesitate to try the same fixes with a different OS and xbmc version. Was wondering how other users are dealing with this problem?
ASUS Chromebox M004U (LibreELEC 8.2/Aeon Nox SiLVO)--->HDMI--->Onkyo TX-NR646--->HDMI--->Panasonic P65VT30
We usually use a screen when working with XBMC. That easy. XBMC is not made to run without connected displays.

A solution would be to hack your AVR's EDID data to announce a proper 1080p resolution even when its input is not set to the mini. But i guess this is not easily possible. (so the AVR announces EDID data with some "safe" resolutions which XBMC has to choose from then - nothing we can do about that...).
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Thanks. Found this in an old thread Gefen HDMI Detective . Looks like it records the edid of the avr and then mimics it to make the htpc think there is a display connected. Think I'll give it a try.
ASUS Chromebox M004U (LibreELEC 8.2/Aeon Nox SiLVO)--->HDMI--->Onkyo TX-NR646--->HDMI--->Panasonic P65VT30
In the back of my head I want to say that there is a software solution to this as well. The software will force OS X to mimic a virtual display using settings you define that can transition to a real display when it is turned on. However, the name of the program escapes me.
(2013-08-02, 20:12)Ned Scott Wrote: In the back of my head I want to say that there is a software solution to this as well. The software will force OS X to mimic a virtual display using settings you define that can transition to a real display when it is turned on. However, the name of the program escapes me.

They say the mind is the second thing to go.Big GrinBig Grin
Tried a couple of googles for "Virtual Display" and similar. No luck though. Bunch of hits for Screen Sharing settings and other people looking for the same thing I am. Thanks for the reply.
Ah, it was SwitchResX
Saw that in the same thread as the hdmi detective. They claimed it wouldn't work. It was an old Eden thread though. Ordered the hdmi detective this afternoon so I'll give that a try first and see what happens. Will post back the results once I get it installed.
I frequently use Screen Sharing on my MacBook Pro to mess around with my XBMC on my Mac mini, often with the TV off, and have never had that problem. I wonder what the difference would be in our setups? Are you using Apple's Screen Sharing (which I guess is a kind of VNC?) or something else?
LibreELEC 10.0.4 * ViMediaManager or TinyMediaManager | Raspberry pi 4b
Sharing media from NAS via NFS (optical out to receiver, HDMI to TV) | TV remote with CEC / Bluetooth keyboard
Isn't this ian OS issue ? In other words doesn't the resolution of the entire desktop change as well.
Macmini Server 2011 i7 Quad Core, OS 10.8.2, Amp Onkyo TX-SR308 USB WD drives 3x2TB TV Samsung Plasma 720p EyeTV Integration
There are only 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Resolution problems with vnc connection0