• 47(current)
Testing audio engine ActiveAE
Quote:I have in my audio settings the choice between 2 audio device

actually you don't have two choices. during enumeration we get more devices but some are invalid. unfortunately we can't trust ELD, hence those mostly invalid devices show up in the list.
the best/first choice is the device which shows the name of the connected sink, Sony TV in you case.
I wanted to provide a debug log.
So, i've started xmbc, activated debug, restard xbmc without playing anything, start the mp4 file and... everything was fine ! Debug log is here.
I've reboot my pc (because my remote was not responding) after removing debug in xbmc. After reboot, i restart the file, and... again only 2 channels.I activate debug, restart the file... Ok. I deactivate debug, restart the file... Ok.
I've stopped here...Huh
I've noticed nevertheless another issue, subtitles were not displayed, but i'll create another thread somewhere else. You can still download the file in the link i've posted in my previous thread.
Hi everybody !

First post here so :
=> Thank you all for all your work on making XBMC as great as it is !!
=> Sorry for my english as I'm not an native english speaker !

Anyway, I'm not sure it is the right thread to post but here it goes :

I recently installed a full XBMC setup on my NUC (Haswell i5) with OPENElec (last Gotham Nightly if I'm not mistaken).
For the record my setup is quite classic : NUC > (HDMI) > AVR/5.1 > (HDMI) > TV

Before posting a debug log (I don't know how to do it but I'll learn if necessary), I wanted to know if my setup behaviour was as intended.

When I choose :

1)
HDMI (AVR)
Speaker Config : 5.1
Audio Output : Best Match or Optimized
My reciever capabilities/Passthrough : ok
==> When playing movies/Video files, I get the right sound out of my NUC to my reciever as DTS/whatever without any issues (Tried FLAC, DTS HD etc.. all seems to be working)
but... => I get no GUI/Menu sound and TvTunes (Mp3 Files) can't be heard.

2)
HDMI (AVR)
Speaker Config : 5.1
Audio Output : Fixed
==> When playing movies/Video files, I get the right sound out of my NUC to my reciever as PCM
=> I get GUI/Menu sound and TvTunes (Mp3 Files) sound as 5.1 (native stereo I guess)

3)
HDMI (AVR)
Speaker Config : 2.0
Audio Output : Best Match or Optimized
My reciever capabilities/Passthrough : ok
==> When playing movies/Video files, I get the right sound out of my NUC to my reciever as DTS/whatever without any issues (Tried FLAC 5.1, DTS HD etc.. all seems to be working) which is normal since it is Passthrouh and the Speaker Config only affects PCM and not passthrough)
=> I get GUI/Menu sound and TvTunes (Mp3 Files) sound as 2.0

So my questions :
A. Is it intended that I have to put my speaker to 2.0 (instead of 5.1) to get the GUI sound while having Passthrough activated?
B. [Pure hypothesis] What happens when XBMC can't bitstream a 5.1 File to my reciever and have to decode it to PCM first, will it be downsize to 2.0 instead of 5.1 LPCM?

(I don't know if it is related but I remember on my first setup I had a DvD Player on which I could only hear the secundary audio (IME, PIP..) while Pure Direct (Birstream/Passthrough) was deactivated)

I'm not sure I'm clear but well thank you anyway !!
Config 1) is supposed to work but hard to tell what's gong wrong without a debug log.
After some digging, it seems that the problem with Config 1 comes from 44.1kHz MP3 that are not working but I'm not really sure !

I Hope it works so here is my debug log :
http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=129419

I opened three files:
The one with 44.1kHz MP3 embeded had no sound.
The one with 48kHz MP3 had sound
The one with ac3 5.1 had sound (Passthrough working correctly on my AVR)
Still no TvTunes or GUI Sound.

Thanks for your assistance
The problem is 44.1 khz, which the current intel drivers have problems in combination with "some" AVRs.

Edit: Though, I thought - we have patches in OE that should cure this.

Symptomes workaround: Set your Output configuration to "Fixed" and choose 48khz. If this makes sound - that's your issue.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2014-02-11, 23:00)fritsch Wrote: The problem is 44.1 khz, which the current intel drivers have problems in combination with "some" AVRs.

Edit: Though, I thought - we have patches in OE that should cure this.

Symptomes workaround: Set your Output configuration to "Fixed" and choose 48khz. If this makes sound - that's your issue.

Thank you Fritsch !
It does work indeed by setting the output config to fixed and choosing 48kHz (or above).

Maybe I need to try a more recent release in order for it to work properly?

For the record, I was wrong about case 3) on my first post => I get no Menu/GUI sound. I don't know what I smoked the day I tested this but anyway !
You can try the latest, but it's a linux kernel bug and unlikely to be fixed there.

Edit: It's that one here: https://github.com/OpenELEC/OpenELEC.tv/issues/2683

Please reply there and ping @josbeir and ask about upstream state of that issue, cause he filed it with intel.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2014-02-11, 23:38)fritsch Wrote: You can try the latest, but it's a linux kernel bug and unlikely to be fixed there.

Edit: It's that one here: https://github.com/OpenELEC/OpenELEC.tv/issues/2683

Please reply there and ping @josbeir and ask about upstream state of that issue, cause he filed it with intel.

Many Thanks!

I have a Pioneer AVR so that seems to be the main issue here and that's why it's not "fixed" for my configuration !
I'll get in touch with @josbeir with regard to the little patch you wrote.
I forgot about my patch. I think it was the two liner to a minimal sampling rate iirc.
Hi, testing gotham nightlies 02/12/2014, here my debug log, using windows 8.1.

For log, XBMC recognize my audio types

http://www.xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=130128

Settings don´t show more DTS-HD or Dolby True HD

Set for wasapi, and 5.1 channels, receiver onkyo 705 *Have all decoders,

XBMC send audio only in PCM, with passthrough active, no more bitstream for me.
MediaBrazil forum Website - Youtube Channel
MQ9-1.6.0.29 - 09.15.2023 - Aeon MQ Skin Team
MarcosQui Website Donate and support us.
It'll be due to this https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/4177

That should only disable passthrough formats the sink says it doesn't support.
Wanilton, what you are seeing indicates ActiveAE thinks the HDMI has the same properties as SPDIF. Could you try setting your Passthrough Output Device to SPDIF and then back to HDMI again.
@jjd-uk, changed, but same results, continue send only PCM audio, I checked guisettings file and dts-hd, value = false, change for true and save, but continue don´t send bitstream to receiver.
MediaBrazil forum Website - Youtube Channel
MQ9-1.6.0.29 - 09.15.2023 - Aeon MQ Skin Team
MarcosQui Website Donate and support us.
Could you please also post the audio part of guisettings.xml?

Thanks much.
  • 47(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Testing audio engine ActiveAE1