My first build
Star 

After reading up on the forum, i came up whit this build:

Computer Case: Antec ISK 110 Vesa
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H77N-WIFI
CPU: Intel Core i3 3225
SSD: Samsung 840 series 120GB
Memory: Kingston HyperX KHX16C9B1RK2/4X (2x2GB)
CPU Fan: Gelid Solutions Slim Silence i-Plus
Logitech K400 Wireless Touch Keyboard
RC6 Infrared Receiver: Model IR605Q

I am going to use XBMC on top of Windows 8 pro.

1. Does it matter if i use a 32- or 64-bits version of Windows?
  2. Which remote do you recommend?
  3. Please advise if there is anything else you can recommend
As far as I know :

1 . Go for 64 bit if you can , I did not see any difference in xbmc but check with the other software you might be running . And memory limitation on a 32bit
version is 4gb I think

2. Harmony seems like a good choice, lots of option for programming . And whatever budget you have .
I have a harmony 200 ( 20$) and it controls my tv , onkyo suround , htpc . its not fancy but works .
I also have a old harmony 300 (40$) . but you can go for something fancier it the harmony world (they know remotes)

3 the Cpu cooler would not improve cooling or noise , I would stay with the stock cooler unless space in the isk 110 is an issue

enjoy!
First about the CPU cooler.
My Heat Sink and Fan clearance is 40mm in the ISK 110 Vesa case.
I hopping to get slightly better improving of the cooling and noise (not worse)
The only other option for me is the http://www.silentpcreview.com/scythe-kozuti
But it will be a close fit because it is 40mm high.

Do you think the Gelid Solution is just as well as the stock Intel cooler or worse?

Gelid Solutions

stock Intel cooler

My build is primarily used for XBMC so i will not need extra memory.
Secondary I will use it for Spotify, Youtube and to browse the internet.
so I keep a 32bit OS.
Thank you for pointing that out

I have been looking for the Harmony but the old models are not available anymore. I will primarily use it for my HTPC so the expensive models are not interesting for me.
I am looking now at the Philips Prestigo SRU6008 (a Harmony lookalike) i have read up and works whit XBMC on OpenElec and a Microsoft MCE IR receiver out of the box. So probably it will on Windows 8
If i am not mistakes dougie recommends the gelid cooler...

Is easy to find the harmony 300 Smile
Have you seen this recommendation:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=166627

Pretty similar to what you propose except for the CPU. If you only do XBMC and web browsing, that is all the CPU you need. I just did a bedroom htpc with the G1610 and it plays everything I have thrown at it. It'll do uncompressed blu-ray rips, handle the heaviest skins, and save you $90 over the i3. Something to think about.
Thank you for your input.
I ordered my HTPC parts.
And i hope to receive them this week.

I hope the gelid cooler is quiet.
I ordered a windows 8 pro license 32bit
Remote Harmony 300 on ebay for 20 euro
(2013-08-04, 15:44)solamnic Wrote: If i am not mistakes dougie recommends the gelid cooler...

Is easy to find the harmony 300 Smile

I used to but now I like the Dynatron T459 better. If that's not available though, the Gelid Slim Silence i-Plus is a good one when a 28mm (1U) cooler is needed. With 40mm of clearance I would also look at the Silverstone NT07-1156.
(2013-08-06, 02:41)Dougie Fresh Wrote: I used to but now I like the Dynatron T459 better. If that's not available though, the Gelid Slim Silence i-Plus is a good one when a 28mm (1U) cooler is needed. With 40mm of clearance I would also look at the Silverstone NT07-1156.

Does the PWM on the Gelid Slim Silence i-Plus work well whit the motherboard GA-H77N-WIFI?

Do you ever have tried a fan controller on the Gelid, like this one?
http://www.zalman.com/eng/product/Produc...hp?Idx=206

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
My first build0