OS X Fast playback rate on DTS music files.
I recently acquired a few albums that are DVD-A rips. The audio files themselves have the '.dts' extension and play in 5.1.

When playing these .dts files in XBMC, I would say it plays about 10% faster than it should. Not quite to 'chipmunk' sounding speeds, but still noticeably faster.

I should note that I've never had an issue with DTS audio out of the near countless video files I have that are encoded with it. I do not think this would be a hardware issue.

I also know the music files are not the issue. I burned one album to a disc via a cue file, tossed it in my PS3, and it worked perfectly fine, DTS 5.1 and without the 'fast playback' like in XBMC.

Has anyone encountered this before? Thanks in advance for any help. Smile

Software:
OSX 10.8.4
XBMC Frodo 12.2
XBMC Logs

Computer:
Early 2011 15" MacBook Pro
2.2GHz Sandy Bridge Core i7
16GB RAM
AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB

Receiver: Onkyo HT-R391
Do you use DTS passthrough? (e.x. "DTS capable receiver" turned on)
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2013-08-05, 10:35)Memphiz Wrote: Do you use DTS passthrough? (e.x. "DTS capable receiver" turned on)

Yes. Big Grin

Also, I'd be more than happy to record a video of how it sounds through XBMC vs. my PS3 if that would be any help at all.
In Doubt that xbmc is the cause here - does the Avr detect it as DTS? In passthrough the playbackspeed can't be influenced really... Its encoded in 2 Channel pcm an Passes through unaltered... - Switch Off lpcm capable receiver if you didn't yet
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
Yes, my AVR lights up red with the glorious 'dts' logo when playing any DTS encoded file in XBMC. It even does it for these DTS music files, but for some reason plays it a tad fast.

I'm not sure why you don't think it's XBMC. In my mind, it has to be.

Let's look at the facts:

I have over 10TB of movies/TV shows encoded in 5.1 DTS. Honestly, I've never once had an issue playing those in XBMC. 'dts' has always lit up for me on my AVR when playing videos encoded with DTS.

These DTS music files play back absolutely fine on my PS3 which is connected to the same AVR. And yes, the 'dts' is lit up for that as well.

Since making this thread, I played back the DTS music files through VLC on the same Mac that XBMC is installed on. They played back absolutely fine, and it displayed 'dts' on my AVR.

Also, I tried playing these DTS music files on another HTPC (this one is Windows 7) of mine that also has never had any issues with DTS playback. Played back fast in XBMC. Played fine in VLC.

That leaves me to only think it's XBMC considering they work fine through VLC on my Mac and PC and on my PS3.

I've looked around quite a bit about this issue, and I have seen other users comment on this as well. Granted, I'm not sure of their setup, but in my case, I can't see why it would be my hardware. There's simply too much evidence that suggests the issue is within XBMC.
The problem is - that i have no idea how this could be even possible. As said - DTS is encoded into 2 PCM channels. The encoding is there already in the file. I wonder how XBMC could lead to speed up playback when it only feeds the stream out to the interface (which needs to be configured in the std way - e.x. 2 channel pcm 48khz). Could you try setting the default player to dvdplayer for music files and report back please?

to advancedsettings.xml add

Code:
<audio><defaultplayer>dvdplayer</defaultplayer></audio>
Having same issue too, created advancedsettings.xml both in xmbc package and in user profile as requested.
DTS Movies are playing fine, DTS Audio playing faster. Please update.
the update is - no clue wtf is going on ...
Same problem here, with Bose T20 receiver and Mavericks OS.
Have the same issue

See my recent post on this matter. : http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=175921

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Fast playback rate on DTS music files.1