Gotham brightness control w/ HW-accel?
Question 
( relocated from: http://forum.xbmc.org/editpost.php?pid=1466942 )

Hi,

I'm running an XBMC/head src build

Code:
xbmc --version                                                      
  XBMC Media Center 13.0-ALPHA6 Git:20130717-503a576
on a linux/64 box.

My Video card is an Nvidia 9600. I'm using NVidia's kernel drivers, not nouveau. VDPAU is supported, and enabled in XBMC. Video display/playback is smooth.

nvidia-settings are set to "Full" color range. Color reproduction is great.

When I start to play a video, the brightness/contrast are actually @ good levels for ~ 15 seconds -- then, the XBMC display gets darker.

The displayed video is quite dark, and almost unwatchable. The monitor's hardware brightness is already @100% -- and non-XBMC display is bright and high-contrast.

With H/W-accelerated playback -- i.e., with VDPAU enabled -- the brightness/contrast controls disappear. I understand this changed from Frodo.

Questions:

(1) are the brightness/contrast controls coming back for H/W-accel mode anytime soon?
(2) since the vids start out @ good brightness/contrast, then get darker, what setting/config/etc can I change to prevent that post-15-seconds darkening?

Thanks.
As long as you don't have selected "limited range" in gui settings, brightness for vdpau should be there.
(2013-08-05, 20:19)FernetMenta Wrote: As long as you don't have selected "limited range" in gui settings

I don't:

(2013-08-05, 20:19)FernetMenta Wrote: brightness for vdpau should be there.

It isn't:

Otoh, if I disable VDPAU, then, it (non-HW-accel'd brightness) is:

you have to look in xbmc - system - settings - video output
(2013-08-06, 19:21)FernetMenta Wrote: you have to look in xbmc - system - settings - video output

I don't see any settings where I've

Quote:selected "limited range" in gui settings

I don't even see the option,

set settings level to expert (blade on the left side)
Finally found it, and set it.

That's one of the best-hidden, simple options yet! :-) Personally, I'm not sure I'd consider enabling the brightness/contract control an "expert" option, tho' clearly it DID require an expert in this case ;-)

It's clear, now, how to change brightness/options for (1) an individual title, and (2) all videos at once, as a default option.

Any clues how to set brightness for just a selected folder's (sub)content? E.g., for a parent folder containing multiple seasons of a single, "too dark" TV series?
This is an alpha version and we know that there are issues with the new settings system. We listen carefully to posts like this and try to improve things before release.
The problem with this setting is that it overlaps with a a former setting known as "VDPAU studio level". Limited range is disabled by default, for some reason it was enabled on your system. This options sets a custom matrix for YUV to RGB conversion on vdpau which disables brightness control.

Currently we don't have any feature for video settings on a folder. btw: vdpau is the only hw accelerator on Linux which allows brightness control. vaapi and xvba do not.
(2013-08-06, 21:04)FernetMenta Wrote: We listen carefully to posts like this and try to improve things before release.

Thanks, that's great to hear!

Quote:Limited range is disabled by default, for some reason it was enabled on your system.

I've really no idea why or how Undecided Not knowing about it, I certainly didn't toggle it. I checked on all three of my Gotham installs -- and the "Limited Range" is (now, was) selected by default.

Quote:Currently we don't have any feature for video settings on a folder.

One big 'hand in the air' for that feature, then!

'Best' brightness/contrast varies all over the map -- ESPECIALLY for TV shows, but also for movies. It's usually consistent within a single series/collection, but definitely varies between them.

Since my largest TV series have 100+ episodes, setting per-episode is not particularly great; per-folder would be really useful.

Quote:btw: vdpau is the only hw accelerator on Linux which allows brightness control. vaapi and xvba do not.

Didn't know that, but another reason I'm really pleased with my all-NVidia world! :-)
Quote:"Limited Range" is (now, was) selected by default.

something must go wrong here as it should be disabled by default.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Gotham brightness control w/ HW-accel?0