PVR Series Record
Question 
I'm new here!
I've just done a search for "series record" - no results.
This has been around for a long time why is there no awareness of it by XBMC?

Huh
what is it you want to know?

I record series, my pvr is mediaportal. setting up a series to record, I set this up using the mediaportal guide.
Trying to setup using the xbmc guide doesn't stick for me, this seems to have changed when I went to 12.2.

Office: Google TV | Kodi 20.0 | Samsung 50"                         \  Movies: 2734
Master Bedroom: Google TV | Kodi 20.0 | Samsung 43"     \  Music: Artist 220 |  Albums 1001 | Songs 106995
TheaterGoogle TV | Kodi  20.0 | Samsung 75"                    \  TV Shows: 62 |  Seasons 218 | Episodes 3858
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you that's useful.
All I have tried so far is Tvheadend which doesn't have it.
(So far I'm not very impressed with Tvheadend.)

I'm also looking for a pvr that uses what I think is called Accurate Record.
This is where you choose a programme to record, you don't choose a time slot, then if the EPG data changes your recording follows this.

Also I need something that will run on a Raspberry Pi.
I think the options are Tvheadend, MythTV or VDR
Does MythTV or VDR offer series record and Accurate Record?
(2013-08-06, 00:31)gwatuk Wrote: Thank you that's useful.

This is where you choose a programme to record, you don't choose a time slot, then if the EPG data changes your recording follows this.

I've not seen this, but I do agree this would be very useful.
I'd also like to have only new episodes record. I'll go to Mediaportals forum to check on this.

No experience with Raspberry Pi

I've not seen accurate record within xbmc, but I do agree this would be very useful.
I'd also like to have only new episodes record. I'll go to Mediaportals forum to check on this.

Office: Google TV | Kodi 20.0 | Samsung 50"                         \  Movies: 2734
Master Bedroom: Google TV | Kodi 20.0 | Samsung 43"     \  Music: Artist 220 |  Albums 1001 | Songs 106995
TheaterGoogle TV | Kodi  20.0 | Samsung 75"                    \  TV Shows: 62 |  Seasons 218 | Episodes 3858
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks hoopsdavis.
On a more general note - are XBMC and such things as Tvheadend under active development?
I get the impression that this stuff was innovative some time ago and has now stagnated.
(2013-08-06, 04:54)gwatuk Wrote: Thanks hoopsdavis.
On a more general note - are XBMC and such things as Tvheadend under active development?
Really? What do you base that on? Take a look at the XBMC commits list.

(2013-08-06, 00:31)gwatuk Wrote: Thank you that's useful.

Mythtv has all the features you want, but it is silly to try to run it on RPi, there is simply insufficient RAM and processing power. Get a proper server for mythtv and use RPi as a client if you must, or again get a proper PC for your frontend/client.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Thanks nickr.
Yes I think you're right.
Since my previous post I've downloaded Mediaportal to my PC and it is indeed a whole different ball game.
Are you saying that Mythtv is better as regards PVR features (series record etc)?

I've already discovered that using windows in extended desktop mode works really well for me.
My PC has an old-fashioned display output (D connector) which suits my old-fashioned monitor.
But it also has a HDMI out which I now have connected to my TV via a long cable.
So I can have my normal desktop on my PC monitor and media centre software on the TV - very cool!
(And of course my wireless keyboard and mouse make this all very flexible.)

So maybe I'll ignore the Raspberry Pi for a while and get my head round Mediaportal and/or Mythtv.

PS: my comment about XBMC development was just based on my frustration at not finding series record implemented for Tvheadend. As a beginner in this area I had got the impression that OpenELEC, XBMC and TVheadend offered the "ultimate" media centre.
I don't know mediaportal, except it runs on windows so it is not for me. I run (and love) mythtv and it is easy to set up series record - although it is not a one button operation. For example when you set up a recording you get the following choices:

Record only this showing.
Record this program in this timeslot every day.
Record this program in this timeslot every week.
Find and record one showing of this title.
Find and record one showing of this title each day.
Find and record one showing of this title each week.
Record at any time on channel .
Record at any time on any channel.

You also get various duplicate checking methods like:

None
Subtitle
Description
Subtitle and description
Subtitle then description

(Bear in mind in this context subtitle=episode title)

You can also set to record only "new episodes", "first showing" (so you get to see the premier of all new series), High def broadcasts only, and all sorts of other options.

That's all pretty flexible, some software which does a simple "series record" will record old repeat episodes, multiple copies of the same episode etc.

Although mythtv's frontend will run on windows, you really need linux for the backend (ie the bit that records).
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Rainbow 
Thanks very much nickr
Looks like I may be moving "onwards and upwards" from Mediaportal to Mythtv.
And from what you're saying this might mean a move away from windows - that's something that's been creeping up on me for some time. Wink

I've been using a YouView box for about six months and I'm fairly active in the YouView forum.
YouView is very interesting, but also quite frustrating - it has so much potential, but is developing relatively slowly.
I'm going to copy your last post about series record and put it on the YouView forum - it should produce an interesting response!
Honestly I don't understand half the mythtv recording options myself, but they have a very good mailing list for anyone who needs help. In addition to what I set out above there is a custom recoding rule mode where you basically construct a SQL query, so you can (as an extreme example) record "any title containing 'who' and ('doctor' or 'dr' or 'dr.') but not 'do you think you are' and not 'medical'" (OK that really is a silly example).

YouView looks interesting.
I'm finding this thread interesting - I was informed that xbmc cannot do series record because even though it is available in (in my case, next pvr) it is not implemented in xbmc...

"You can do series recordings with NextPVR. You need to schedule them in NextPVR's own frontend, or in it's web interface though. This is true of all the other backends options, since the inability to schedule them directly in XBMC is a limitation of XBMC not the backend. "

At least, that was the response from sub3 to my post... http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=167066

Of course - there is the context menu which has something like "find similar programs" that you can then individually select to record from a list, but it's not quite the same.
maybe you should move to Mediaportal, that's what I use. Scheduling series to record weekly is done in the Mediaportal guide.

I've tried others but I always find mediaportal to be the most stable, tried NextPVR but it seemed more difficult to get going than mediaportal so I end up going back.

Do you mean, move to Media Portal front end too? I tried it once, but funny enough didn't get the tuner working... it was before I knew much about media centre software though. I had it running alongside xbmc, but in the end downloading a high res skin (for MP) screwed everything right up and I had to roll back the system, that was the end of MP for me.

I kind of prefer xbmc, and I think the reason is quite likely because it responds very quickly. It's surprising how much difference that can make it terms of using this sort of app.
(2013-08-06, 20:37)JohnyLondon Wrote: Do you mean, move to Media Portal front end too? I tried it once, but funny enough didn't get the tuner working... it was before I knew much about media centre software though. I had it running alongside xbmc, but in the end downloading a high res skin (for MP) screwed everything right up and I had to roll back the system, that was the end of MP for me.

I kind of prefer xbmc, and I think the reason is quite likely because it responds very quickly. It's surprising how much difference that can make it terms of using this sort of app.

No, just the mediaportal backend.

The only thing you want is to run the backend server/clent.

All you need to do is install the Mediaportal 1.4. Get the MediaPortal 1.4 TVServer plugin for XBMC from the link below. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7249985/xbmc/tvs...rev123.rar

Here are the steps for setting up:

Extract the TVServerXBMC.rar file and copy the TVServerXBMC.dll to the plugins directory of your MediaPortal TV-Server installation (typically: C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server\Plugins or C:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server\Plugins).
Open the "TV-Server Configuration" and enable the TVServerXBMC plugin under "Plugins".
Configure the TVServerXBMC plugin. Add network shares for your Timeshift and Recordings folder if you want to use XBMC PVR on a different PC than your MediaPortal TV Server PC.
Restart the TV-Server: Press under "Manual Control" the "Stop Service" button, wait a few seconds and press then the "Start Service" button (same button).

The link for the above steps is: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=PVR...ediaPortal

Let me know if you run into any issues I'll help walk you thru it.

Is there a way to schedule mythtv series recording within XBMC? I currently am using MythBuntu with only the backend installed. Will I have to install the frontend?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
PVR Series Record0