PVR Series Record
(2013-08-07, 19:02)SikeMo Wrote: Is there a way to schedule mythtv series recording within XBMC? I currently am using MythBuntu with only the backend installed. Will I have to install the frontend?

I've never tried Mythtv but from what I understand we're unable to schedule series recordings within xbmc.

whenever I try it, it doesn't stick. So you may have to go with the front end, this is what I've done with mediaportal

Office: Google TV | Kodi 20.0 | Samsung 50"                         \  Movies: 2734
Master Bedroom: Google TV | Kodi 20.0 | Samsung 43"     \  Music: Artist 220 |  Albums 1001 | Songs 106995
TheaterGoogle TV | Kodi  20.0 | Samsung 75"                    \  TV Shows: 62 |  Seasons 218 | Episodes 3858
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey thanks, hoopsdavis! Good clear instructions there. I think I might give it a go - though with these things there's always the danger of screwing the whole thing up. I'm right in thinking you can just install the tv server part of MP rather than the whole thing? I'd prefer to do that as less chance of upsetting everything else.
I can't do it till I get the media centre set up again (decorating the living room right now) so will be a few days, but could be a good little project to look forward to.
I'll let you know how it goes!
(2013-08-07, 20:46)JohnyLondon Wrote: Hey thanks, hoopsdavis! Good clear instructions there. I think I might give it a go - though with these things there's always the danger of screwing the whole thing up. I'm right in thinking you can just install the tv server part of MP rather than the whole thing? I'd prefer to do that as less chance of upsetting everything else.
I can't do it till I get the media centre set up again (decorating the living room right now) so will be a few days, but could be a good little project to look forward to.
I'll let you know how it goes!

Great, I'm here if you have any questions. As far as setting up only the TV server, I'd recommend the who thing, this way you can go into MP to schedule your series recordings, trying to scheduling them in xbmc, they don't stick. But I've had no problems having MP installed, I never use it, only for scheduling series recordings.
Anytime I try another backend, I never uninstall my current one,, I just disable the pvr addon, that way if the new one you're trying doesn't work you can always fall back to the one you've had success with.

Good luck and I'm here to help if needed.

Office: Google TV | Kodi 20.0 | Samsung 50"                         \  Movies: 2734
Master Bedroom: Google TV | Kodi 20.0 | Samsung 43"     \  Music: Artist 220 |  Albums 1001 | Songs 106995
TheaterGoogle TV | Kodi  20.0 | Samsung 75"                    \  TV Shows: 62 |  Seasons 218 | Episodes 3858
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(2013-08-07, 19:02)SikeMo Wrote: Is there a way to schedule mythtv series recording within XBMC? I currently am using MythBuntu with only the backend installed. Will I have to install the frontend?
No way from XBMC but mythweb has all the options.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Hi folks, thanks for your interesting contributions.
Over the last few days I've started checking out MediaPortal on my PC.
Then got intrigued by nickr's recommendation of Mythtv.
I found a version for windows and spent a long time trying to get it to work on my PC, and eventually gave up - I guess I need to take the big step and jump into the big wide Linux ocean.
So then returned to MediaPortal which I now think is pretty good.

However all attempts at getting my Raspberry Pi (wth Raspbmc) to talk to it have failed.
I just keep getting the dreaded message "PVR client failed to open".
Any suggestions regarding this would be much appreciated!
But at present I can do what I wanted - set up series recordings with MediaPortal from my PC and store them on a WD My Book, and then pick up these files with the Raspberry Pi and stream them to my TV.
Smile
Mythtv consists of backend and frontend, backend interacts with the tuners and records shit. Frontend plays shit and has screens for setting up recording, maintenance etc..

Backend is pretty much linux only because it is written to interact with the Linux video driver models, particularly for analogue and DVB/ATSC tuners. Windows backend has been known to work with network based tuners like HD Homerun, and with IPTV. However it is pretty neglected in terms of development. So yeah, if you want to get a good mythtv backend going, go linux.

Frontend mythtv runs pretty well on Windows, although again I would say it is probably not as heavily developed as for Linux or OSX. The difference here is video drivers really, a lot of work has gone into linux playback whereas windows - not many devs run it and therefore not many devs care. (I'll probably get a dev in here debunking what I say, so I must reinforce that this is impression, not any deep knowledge of the mythtv dev team).

I have heard good things about mediaportal.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2013-08-06, 08:35)nickr Wrote: I don't know mediaportal, except it runs on windows so it is not for me. I run (and love) mythtv and it is easy to set up series record - although it is not a one button operation. For example when you set up a recording you get the following choices:

Record only this showing.
Record this program in this timeslot every day.
Record this program in this timeslot every week.
Find and record one showing of this title.
Find and record one showing of this title each day.
Find and record one showing of this title each week.
Record at any time on channel .
Record at any time on any channel.

You also get various duplicate checking methods like:

None
Subtitle
Description
Subtitle and description
Subtitle then description

(Bear in mind in this context subtitle=episode title)

You can also set to record only "new episodes", "first showing" (so you get to see the premier of all new series), High def broadcasts only, and all sorts of other options.

That's all pretty flexible, some software which does a simple "series record" will record old repeat episodes, multiple copies of the same episode etc.

Although mythtv's frontend will run on windows, you really need linux for the backend (ie the bit that records).

In never versions of MythTV you only have 4 options.

Don't record this program.
Record only this showing.
Find and record one showing of this title.
Record at any time on any channel.

But since the MythTV team only release a new version every century i guess you need to compile from source to get those options.
Actually I think you'll find that all the important ones are still there, there are other filters to apply too. There has been a bit of traffic about it on the mailing list. "Record this program in this timeslot every day." and "Record this program in this timeslot every week." were pretty useless because if the EPG changed by as little as one minute it didn't work.

And the current master is always available on ubuntu via the mythbuntu repo, if you want to try it out without compiling, as is the previous version+fixes. Yes mythtv devs generally wait until their code is ready before releasing, which is maybe a lesson XBMC devs could learn from!
(2013-08-06, 13:59)hoopsdavis Wrote: maybe you should move to Mediaportal, that's what I use. Scheduling series to record weekly is done in the Mediaportal guide.

I've tried others but I always find mediaportal to be the most stable, tried NextPVR but it seemed more difficult to get going than mediaportal so I end up going back.
Moving to Mediaportal wouldn't give him what he wants though. He'll still have to schedule his series recordings outside of XMBC, which is what he's hoping to avoid. He'll end up with exactly the same limitations in XBMC as he has with the NextPVR backend - ie, has to go backend's interface to schedule recordings (whether its the native backend interface, or it's web front).

This problem will only be solved by XBMC's PVR API and interface being extended to include series recording.
Oh... yes sounds like MP backend won't be any good for me after all - I do just want a simple series record function within xbmc... oh well, I'll suggest it on the features I'd like to see!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
PVR Series Record0