Living room HTPC & Server
I recently moved out of my house in the country and into an apartment in the city. I no longer could keep my sever in the basement and had to make it presentable and quiet for the living room. Some changes with the server sparked a refresh of my HTPC client.
Here goes:
watch gallery

New HTPC Specs:
CPU: Intel i3-3245 3.2GHz HD4000
Motherboard: ASRock H77m-ITX
Case: Realan E-i7n (Sold at EcoSmartPC)
PSU: Integrated 84W AC Adapter
Cooler: Scythe Shuriken Rev B
RAM: GSkill RipJaws 4GB DDR3-1600
SSD: Intel 40GB X25-V
Internal IR Receiver: Inteset CIR Internal - allows computer to be turned on from a completely off state
Case Fan: 80mm Noctua
Remote: Harmony 650
Software: XBMC on Win7 x64

Server Specs:
Motherboard/CPU: SuperMicro X7SPE-HF-D525-O
- integrated Intel ATOM CPU. Heatsink is passive
- IPMI v2.0
- Gigabit Intel NIC
- Internal full sized USB port for thumbdrive
- 6 SATA ports
Case: Fractal Node 304
- 6 3.5" HDD bays
- Attractive front, subtle power and HDD LEDs
- Two expansion slots, required for the 'over sized' mITX SuperMicro board
- Quiet case fans on a 3 position controller. The controller requires one Molex 4-pin power cable. My SuperMicro motherboard has a 4-pin Molex on board that is able to power the fans on low power. Medium is hit or miss and high power causes the motherboard to beep angrily
HDDS:
- 4TB parity
- 5x2TB storage
Cache: Mercury AccelsiorM mSATA PCIe Controller w/ 64GB Plextor M5M mSATA SSD
- I tried two cheaper PCIe cards from NewEgg, a SYBA and a Koutech. Both were based on the same Marvel controller with 'hyperduo' SSD caching technology. I couldn't get either card to work in my unRaid server or my general Windows desktop (computers would not POST). I finally found this Accelsior card from Other World Computing based off of ASMedia 106x controller.
PSU: SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W
- Modular cables
- Two 6-pin power cables are permanently attached and not necessary for my build
- Only two SATA power cables are needed besides the permanently connected cables
RAM: 4GB DDR3-1333
USB Drive: Lexar FireFly 2GB
unRAID: Plus license. Using all available disks, cache, and flash. Motherboard is completely full on SATA ports and case is completely full of 3.5" drives. Perfect.

The Rest:
Denon 789 AVR (HDMI switching)
Vizio E60-Ai 60" LED TV
Ascend Acoustics 340's (F,C,L)
Ascend Acoustics 170's (rears)
Technics SL1200mk2 turntable
PlayStation3
Gorgeous Smile
Tongue 
What the heck is that round thing on top of the right side stand?Tongue
(2013-08-06, 16:34)mr.sparkle Wrote: What the heck is that round thing on top of the right side stand?Tongue
It plays those "big black CDs like granny and granddad have" (direct quote from my son, aged about 5 at the time!)
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Love the stand under the tv!
Love it man!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Living room HTPC & Server0