Weather icon switches to "n/a"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
powlo Offline
Hi,

I've noticed that after watching a video or movie and returning to the main menu the weather icon (top left in Confluence) briefly switches to it's "n/a" value before data is re-fetched from the internet. However, no other weather data is given an n/a type value(eg, temperature, location) so why just the png? And I know that it's not the weather script itself that's doing this because I have logging (in weather.metoffice) enabled and it will report when weather can't be fetched. I also see the same thing happen for Wunderground.

So why does this happen?
find quote
Milhouse Online
Team-XBMC Member
Good question, I often see the Weather icon showing a slash (\) which presumably means it has no data or is fetching data... I've often wondered why it doesn't have a cache of data, and only updates the icon once it has new data which should mean the "\" (n/a) is not necessary unless the cache is empty.

Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(This post was last modified: 2013-08-06 20:25 by Milhouse.)
find quote
jmh2002 Offline
I have noticed this to be a new problem in the last days. Given that there was talk about WU servers being hit hard by xbmc, maybe its that? Or maybe we are being cut off or throttled somehow?
find quote
Milhouse Online
Team-XBMC Member
No, it's been like that for months (I'm on Frodo, OE 3.1.5). I suspect it's not so noticeable on x86 kit, as it may be due to some delay while processing new data, but is quite noticeable on a Pi.

Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(This post was last modified: 2013-08-06 20:35 by Milhouse.)
find quote
pkscout Offline
Posting Freak
No, it's noticeable on x86 as well, at least Windows. As others have mentioned, that's just a delay while processing new information.
find quote
powlo Offline
(2013-08-06 22:29)pkscuot Wrote:  As others have mentioned, that's just a delay while processing new information.

But why don't we see the same effect with the other weather fields that are displayed at the same time?
find quote
artrafael Offline
Team-XBMC Forum Moderator
The other fields display bogus/placeholder data (e.g., 32° F or 0° C as temperature) until new data and image are loaded... at least that's how it behaves for me. To me, it's no big deal waiting a few seconds for the weather info to refresh... sort of like waiting for the hourglass, clock or other "busy" indicator to go away.
(This post was last modified: 2013-08-07 00:44 by artrafael.)
find quote
Milhouse Online
Team-XBMC Member
It's certainly no big deal, but it's also not ideal.

find quote
powlo Offline
True, it's no big deal, but if you're testing a weather plugin you can get convinced that you're plugin isn't working correctly. This is a feature of XBMC and not the plugins. He states confidently.
find quote
THRobinson Offline
Mine's been showing N/A for a few weeks now (since I noticed it) and the 10-day forecast says fetching forecast info. Temperature is all 0.

Tried uninstalling and reinstalling the add-on but no change, even letting it fetch info for 15min still never changes. It does change the last update day/time to the current date/time.

Operating System: Win7 64-Bit Pro w/SP1
System: Intel Core2Quad 2.67Ghz Q9450/ 4GB PC6400 DDR2 Memory/ Asus GTX 650 Ti BOOST OC 2GB
XBMC Build: Gotham 13.0
Remote: Sony Remote (RM-VZ320) and HP Receiver (5188-1667)
Display: 40" Sony Bravia HDTV
find quote
ronie Offline
Team-XBMC Member
(2013-08-18 16:44)THRobinson Wrote:  Mine's been showing N/A for a few weeks now (since I noticed it) and the 10-day forecast says fetching forecast info. Temperature is all 0.

Tried uninstalling and reinstalling the add-on but no change, even letting it fetch info for 15min still never changes. It does change the last update day/time to the current date/time.

maybe due to this?:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=116668

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-XBMC members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
find quote