"solve" CPU overhead
Hi all,
it's been stated severall times that xbmc eats a lot of CPU when idle.

Up to 90% with default settings,
and around 30% when "advanced settings" are well tuned.
(rss feed disabled, dirtyregion tweak)

I'd like to post here a sum up of what to do to spare rasPi some CPU cycles :)

Personally, instead of having xbmc up and running 24/24, I made a script that monitors HDMI state.
When something is turned on on the other side of the cable (TV, sound system ...), xbmc starts.
When turned off : xbmc shuts down.

These scripts are available for archlinux in AUR :

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/xbmc-pi-manager/

they can be easily adapted to any distro, only the packaging and the systemd script is specific to arch I think.
(git repo is in the PKGBUILD file)

And to have a complete post, here's a working "advancedsettings.xml" file for frodo :

Code:
<advancedsettings>
   <network>
       <cachemembuffersize>5282880</cachemembuffersize>
   </network>
   <fanartres>560</fanartres>
   <imageres>256</imageres>
   <useddsfanart>false</useddsfanart>
   <gui>
       <algorithmdirtyregions>3</algorithmdirtyregions>
       <nofliptimeout>0</nofliptimeout>
   </gui>
   <lookandfeel>
       <enablerssfeeds>false</enablerssfeeds>
   </lookandfeel>
   <bginfoloadermaxthreads>2</bginfoloadermaxthreads>
   <showexitbutton>false</showexitbutton>
</advancedsettings>
You don't need to add the "algorithmdirtyregions" and "nofliptimeout" settings to advancedsettings.xml on a Pi, it already uses those values by default.

"useddsfanart" is disabled by default on Pi.

RSS can be disabled in Settings -> Appearance -> Show RSS news feeds.

"Show Exit button" can be disabled in Settings -> System -> Input Devices (disable Mouse & Touch screen Support), and bginfoloadermaxthreads usually defaults to 2 on most Pi distributions.

The point is, pretty much of all of the entries in your advancedsettings.xml file are completely unnecessary on a standard Pi and shouldn't be set for no reason, particularly when they are just duplicating the defaults.

The only options with any merit are fanartres/imageres and I have no performance problems setting these higher than yours (512MB Pi), and the default cachemembuffersize is often adequate when using a wired network.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"solve" CPU overhead0