EXIF tags mangled
Hi,

I'm testing OpenElec 3.1.5 and I have two questions related to photos.

Firstly, I have found that my EXIF tags seem to get mangled. As an example, I have a photo tagged "2012" and "london". When I view the properties of the file in Windows/Linux Mint, I see the correct tags. However, when I view it in XBMC I see "2012, l". That is, the "ondon" has been cut off. Another example is a photo tagged "2012, london, night, north greenwich" displays in XBMC as "2012, l, nigh, north gree". Is this a known bug?

Secondly, even if I filter by a tag that hasn't been mangled (such as "2012"), the filter does not match photos with that tag. Is this a known limitation of the filtering function?

Thanks
If you don't use any Addon, I think it has something to do with the new tagging-feature in XBMC. As EXIF-info itself is handled quite nicely by XBMC nowadays. Since that PR and the WIKI don't mention picture in relation to tagging, I am not even sure if this feature is supported. However, it might work on file-tagging (see WIKI).

About your 2nd comment: The wiki is also not clear if the tagging feature needs an exact match or if "containing" the value is enough for filtering. My guess is that it needs an exact match.

Also, make sure to have a Debug Log attached, so usefull info. to troubleshoot can be extracted. Could you also be more specific how Windows and Linux Mint show these tags? Which EXIF-fields are used?
Thanks for the reply. There are no addons involved.

The imgur linking doesn't seem to be working for me, but here are screens showing the preview of the file in Linux (http://i.imgur.com/cOeN7So.png) and Windows (http://i.imgur.com/wA3OFV4.png).

I've enabled debug logging, viewed the properties of the photo (BIMG_0539.JPG), viewed the photo itself, and here is the log: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=43247

As for filtering, I have tried filtering by "2012", "2012, london", and "2012, l" and all yielded no results. Actually, when you put a comma in the filter text, it appears to strip everything thereon. ie. filtering by "a,b" will actually just set the filter to "a".

I can email the actual photo too, if that helps.
Starting around line 560:
Code:
10:03:22 T:140332545074944    INFO:   msg: IptcParse: Unrecognised IPTC tag: 0x46
10:03:22 T:140332510463744    INFO:   msg: ExifParse: incorrect Exif header

So it looks like it's going wrong parsing the metadata. Do you know which camera took the pics? Or which program wrote those tags?

Another option is to try xycl database plugin for pictures and see what happens with those tags. It also has a logging feature..

Also it might be possible that another skin shows correct metadata. Since all metadata is made available to skinners, some skin changes to correctly display metadata were needed. See this topic for a bug report which fixed similar problem.
I have tried old pics from my Olympus camera and newer ones from my Canon 500ES or whatever it's called. That might make you think it's the fault of the tagging software, but I've tried photos tagged by Shotwell and by Picassa. In all cases, it does the same weirdness: parses parts of each tag (and sometimes the whole tag), but not all.
See link to similar problem above and maybe report on the database add on topic (maybe that addons' logging is more clear). Xycl is an expert on this topic..
The My Pictures Database addon is nothing short of awesome, and gives me exactly the kind of functionality I was after (and, obviously, it does read my tags properly). Thanks for pointing it out.
You're welcome. It would be great to find out what's wrong with xbmc parsing..

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
EXIF tags mangled0