Why not centralize media data where it resides ?
Thanks for the swift answer. This is good news: something is missing but nothing is broken. What thread should I subscribe to to keep up with developments (even discussions) in that respect?
I don't know of a single thread that covers it all. The basic idea is that it will be the improved UPnP stuff + JSON-RPC for additional client-to-client communication.
(2013-09-20, 10:24)DiMag Wrote: Thanks for the swift answer. This is good news: something is missing but nothing is broken. What thread should I subscribe to to keep up with developments (even discussions) in that respect?

Let's be frank - XBMC is not going server 2 client(s) route. Major developers are against it or uninterested at best.

Shortly, "centralised media" is not going to happen any time soon.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

(2013-08-10, 23:06)nokdim Wrote: You can store image, fanart, and NFO where the media is stored.
The library is just a link to this data and also stores information like actor info, and mainly resume points which can't be stored as a local file.

So maybe I am misunderstanding your question but you can store fanart and images in a central place for all devices to access but for search functions and resume points you need a shared db that all clients can access.

How do I do this? I haven't found any instruction on this yet, I don't see anything on the wiki regarding advancedsettings.xml. Any advice on setting up remote fan art etc for all xbmc instances to use?
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Advancedsettings.xml

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...sing_MySQL
So, I am assuming this is the thumbnail folder and I need to change the advancedsettings.xml file?

The thing is, my movie folder has all the images along with the folder - so I don't really want to use the thumbnail folder. Is this the only way?

If so, it seems like I have to remote the thumbnail folder, and I may as well remove the metadata local to the file - correct?
the thumbnail folder is a local cache for xbmc so it can load the images faster while browsing instead of hitting your server each time for the images. this has some benefits, but also some issues that arise when using multiple boxes that arent on all the time.

one option is to folder redirect the thumbnails folder to a network drive, that way all your xbmc boxes can cache to the same folder. this will also save space on each xbmc machine, as that folder gets to be a few tb for larger libraries.
But I'm not talking about the cache. I understand the thumbnails are the local cache - but it doesn't appear that the fanart is being pulled in the first place...to cache. If I refresh the info, it doesn't replace the content on the server. It doesn't appear to reference or use the remote media, located with the video file.

Any idea what may be going on here?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Why not centralize media data where it resides ?0