RCA DBA936
Just picked up an RCA DBA936 streaming media box from wal-mart for $88 Canadian. It's an android 4.0 based box.

2 - USB ports
1 - HDMI port
1 - Ethernet port
Composite video output
SD card port
Comes with a wireless mouse. Works fine for controlling the box.
Can't find any information about it on the web but I thought I'd try it anyway.

I couldn't get the play store to load even though the box says you can access it. I used the web browser to visit xbmc and downloaded and installed the mx (neon) player and neon version of XBMC.

I've tried playing 1080p mkv's and it plays flawlessly over network and streaming online. Does Dolby D 5.1 as well.

Anyone have any specs for this box?
congrats on the cheap xbmc hardware purchase:-)

just goes to show you, that decent playback hardware can be purchased these days for xbmc... reminds me of original xbox mediacentre days

D.
Hi,

I just got this unit as well and here is what I can tell so far:

There are only two sites right now that reference the RCA unit, this thread and one in French as a comment in an non-specific forum with a guy saying his unit doesn't work.

The QR code on the box links to a .pdf of the manual included in the box.

The USA and Canada RCA website does not list this product at all yet.

Since it's Android, if you have a Google account, you can sync your account with this device and access the Play Store.

The box runs an RCA front end over Android that appears to just be graphical in organizing menus.

The RCA settings icon puts you in a normal Android settings menu.

It has 1 gig internal storage memory and 2 gig NAND flash memory.

Nothing is "locked" and you can install .apk files directly from the web.

The mouse is RF and works perfectly.

The unit installs Flash 11.1 and a few other programs semi automatically once you sign on with your Google account.

On its own, the box is basically an Android device with no screen... so whatever screen you connect it to, is your screen.

I would say it is the most complete "tv media box" that you could possibly get in a retail store and the $88.00CAD price is very good.

The closest comparison would be if you could wirelessly mirror your phone or tablet to your tv.

Herk
http://mobile.walmart.com/m/phoenix;jses...r/17693168

Does it look like this? Can't find anything else from RCA?
Can you give me the specs, HDmi, wireless etc.
Thanks
Hi,

@miklud - no it does not look like that.

Here is the link to the manual.

http://www.qr-mall.com/qrs/getMenu?menufile=DBA936

An additional note is the unit powers down on its own after a preset amount of inactivity. That's fine except I don't see a way of remotely turning the unit back on. You have to press the on button on the physical unit to power it up again.

Herk
Out of the box, will this unit access networked drives and play content direct vs having it streamed to it via DLNA?
the link isn't working, can you please resend.
Sorry to revive a old thread but im having trouble with xbmc. I downloaded xbmc and it plays choppy so i want to download mx neon player and neon xbmc how would i go about doing that? I have the same box as jeff. Thanks.
(2013-08-24, 00:51)Kentdexter Wrote: Sorry to revive a old thread but im having trouble with xbmc. I downloaded xbmc and it plays choppy so i want to download mx neon player and neon xbmc how would i go about doing that? I have the same box as jeff. Thanks.

Have you tried a nightly (wiki) Android build? I'm not sure what chipset this has, but there's a good chance that the nightly development builds will run better on the box.
Tried nightly builds and its the same thing. Choppy audio and video. I would like to try the neon build how would i do that?
All the xbmc.org builds are neon builds.
Oh lol. Sorry for the noob questions. I got it working with mx player finally and it plays smoothly. Thanks for the info ned.
Whats the processor in this box? Try cpuz for android https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...pu_z&hl=en and dump out the specs.
FYI, I picked this up to check out the specs. Its an RK2908 single core arm processor, 1gb of ram, but 256mb of that is dedicated to the vivante video. There is only 500megs free for apps.

Overall pretty disappointing, i thought it might be at least dual core. Its going back to walmart tomorrow.
(2013-08-11, 03:34)jeff260z Wrote: Just picked up an RCA DBA936 streaming media box from wal-mart for $88 Canadian. It's an android 4.0 based box.

2 - USB ports
1 - HDMI port
1 - Ethernet port
Composite video output
SD card port
Comes with a wireless mouse. Works fine for controlling the box.
Can't find any information about it on the web but I thought I'd try it anyway.

I couldn't get the play store to load even though the box says you can access it. I used the web browser to visit xbmc and downloaded and installed the mx (neon) player and neon version of XBMC.

I've tried playing 1080p mkv's and it plays flawlessly over network and streaming online. Does Dolby D 5.1 as well.

Anyone have any specs for this box?

I read this post and picked one up, how did you get it to run smoothly, any movie I try to play on it with xbmc lags severely, I tried several video settings with not good results. I have installed xbmc Frodo 12.3 running the box wifi connected to monitor via hdmi. xbmc runs great from my laptop I would like to use the rca box to free my laptop, thanks in advance for your help

(2013-08-24, 09:39)Kentdexter Wrote: Oh lol. Sorry for the noob questions. I got it working with mx player finally and it plays smoothly. Thanks for the info ned.

That news I like to hear, can you give me details on the installation process, I'm at wits end trying to get mine to run movie through xbmc without the lag

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
RCA DBA9361