Simple mods - clearart, time remaining, hide watched from recents
I collected a few simple mods and blogged them:
http://xbmcstuff.bossanova808.net/2013/0...-mods.html

Time Remaining
Clearart / clearlogo support (with fallback to thumbs)
Recently Added Movies/TV - only show unwatched

Nothing original, just a handy collection of I think essential basic mods people might want instead of the more heavily modded mods Smile
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
Thanks was looking for this!
Not realy shure how to instal, but wil give it a try.

Thanks again,
Dencom
(2013-08-11, 06:41)bossanova808 Wrote: I collected a few simple mods and blogged them:
http://xbmcstuff.bossanova808.net/2013/0...-mods.html

Time Remaining

Hey thanks for this. I added the Time Remaining mod to my OSD and I agree with you--this should be the default behavior, or at least there should be a setting to change it. Who wants to do math when they're watching TV?
I'm a mathematician you insensitive clod!
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

(2013-11-05, 23:27)jmarshall Wrote: I'm a mathematician you insensitive clod!

Yeah, that explains everything. The infantile name-calling is particularly indicative of your kind. Kind of ironic seeing that you are so insensitive to the needs of HUMAN users. BTW, I'm an engineer with a physics background so I'm no stranger to higher mathematics. That doesn't mean that I want to do math in my head while I'm relaxing watching TV. I'm sure that goes double for the vast majority of users. So who's an 'insensitive clod'? Hmmmm? (hint: take a look in the mirror)

Thanks again, bossanova808, for the brilliant post.
LOL, sense of humour/meme detection fail Smile

http://www.gocomics.com/calvinandhobbes/...nlwAkN5OPI
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_Tap_Da...pringfield
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.ph...ive%20clod
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

Um xbmcmbx - pretty sure that was just a joke. jmarshall is like one of the all time major contributors to xbmc, so maybe play nice, eh? Even with higher mathematics it would be hard to count how much he's done for xbmc over the years!

But I do agree it should be in there by default, really - since my very first CD player I have never really understood why it wasn't the default. Far more often I want to know how much is left of something than precisely what point I am at. Although both are handy at times!
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
(2013-11-06, 00:23)jmarshall Wrote: LOL, sense of humour/meme detection fail Smile

http://www.gocomics.com/calvinandhobbes/...nlwAkN5OPI
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_Tap_Da...pringfield
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.ph...ive%20clod

Well, you know, I don't know you from Adam, so I didn't think you were joking. If you were, it is pretty offensive to name-call someone you don't know like that. Apology(?) accepted (I think). BTW, I hate the Simpsons.
(2013-11-06, 00:24)bossanova808 Wrote: Um xbmcmbx - pretty sure that was just a joke. jmarshall is like one of the all time major contributors to xbmc, so maybe play nice, eh?

So you admonish me when I pay you a compliment? See my response above.

Quote:But I do agree it should be in there by default, really - since my very first CD player I have never really understood why it wasn't the default. Far more often I want to know how much is left of something than precisely what point I am at. Although both are handy at times!

I agree, but virtually every UI has a simple way to change the displayed time whether it be elapsed time or remaining time. My wife is always asking me "how much longer?" so I spent an inordinate amount of time finding out how I can change this. A simple setting would make things a whole lot easier. Even with your post on your blog, I still had to download the whole bundle and find the exact version of VideoFullScreen.xml that had the changes and then I had to do a diff to find them. Maybe you could post how to do it by showing which 2 lines need to be replaced with what mods. I like that you not only show time remaining but total time as well in the info OSD. This is well thought out. Where the hell did you find the documentation about this feature? I could not find it.
I apologise that you took offense, as that was clearly not the intent.

Having to explain the joke shows it didn't come off, but in order to broaden the meme, it's a common response (see links above - it's particularly prevalent on slashdot) to a seemingly reasonable suggestion: by responding with "I'm a <some silly situation>, you insensitive clod" you're highlighting that the suggestion is perfectly reasonable, and joking that in order to be unreasonable it would take some fairly extreme conditions (case in point: for the person watching XBMC to be a mathematician that enjoys computing time differences **).

Next time you see it, you'll now know that the poster is in fact agreeing with you completely, you'll laugh and the world will be a better place, right?

Cheers,
Jonathan

(** I am in fact a mathematician. However, I don't enjoy computing time differences for fun.)

No documentation really, I just dug around in the code. I link to tweak stuff when I have the time, is all.

Anyway, moving on, I will try and write some simpler docs but I am very time poor lately. Glad you got it working and who knows maybe someone will do a pull request (i.e. a code request for inclusion into xbmc core) - with a permanent change?

Maybe, in the spirit of open source, and since this is important to you - you could do so. It's pretty simple once you get going. And this is how most people start - they have an itch, they work out how to scratch rather than hoping others will scratch for them.
I can't believe being called an insensitive clod could cause offence but I just wanted to say that it made me chuckle when I read it Smile
-= My Media Centre =-
ACER Revo R3610 | x2 1.5TB WD Caviar Green SATA Hard Drives (WD15EADS) | x2 2.0TB WD Caviar Green SATA Hard Drive ( WD15EARS ) | 3.5in Black eSATA USB Trayless SATA External Hard Drive Enclosure | Emprex 3009URF Wireless MCE Remote Control | XBMCLive Dharma Beta1
(2013-11-06, 02:12)bossanova808 Wrote: Glad you got it working and who knows maybe someone will do a pull request (i.e. a code request for inclusion into xbmc core) - with a permanent change?

Maybe, in the spirit of open source, and since this is important to you - you could do so. It's pretty simple once you get going. And this is how most people start - they have an itch, they work out how to scratch rather than hoping others will scratch for them.

Yes, it would be preferable if there were a simple setting you could change to do this. On your suggestion I posted a simple summary of the procedure to make this change:

How to display 'Time remaining' in the OSD dialog in Confluence
Not actually what I meant - I meant make a code change and submit it to XBMC @ github, for possible inclusion into master XBMC.

But I am sure that will make it easier for people.
(2013-11-06, 13:19)danz0l Wrote: I can't believe being called an insensitive clod could cause offence but I just wanted to say that it made me chuckle when I read it Smile

said the insensitive clod… Wink

It's just that I have an aversion toward arrogant so-called mathematicians. And infantile name-calling…

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Simple mods - clearart, time remaining, hide watched from recents0