Win Newbie fails to get HDHR Prime; NPVR and 12.2 2 Work
OK... My Win7 Laptop is now my Media Center PC in the Living Room and runs My HD Homerun Prime Flawlessly using Windows media Center.

This puts me on a Pentium 4 3.06 Ghz WinXp sp3 back in my walk-in closet home office. (Properties shows 3.24 Ghz Ram of the 4Ghz installed)

I would very much like to get XBMC working with the HD Homerun Prime so I can watch on the old Panasonic 1366x768 TV doubling as my Primary Monitor. (Look I can't really buy anything else right now.)

HDHomerun Prime works using the QuickTV app. Beyond TV and a Hauppage Tuner Card is still installed.

Downloaded Frodo 12.2 (Couldn't find a 'safe' copy of 12.0); NPVR 2.6.2 and the latest HD setup. (hdhomerun_windows_20130328.exe)

Installed per older posts (one of which said the 12.0 was the last to work). All I get is a 'Roar' and Tuner no longer available.

Really frustrated at this point.

I guess I can 'watch' using TV Guide and the Quick TV app. And, do recording from the Media Center in the living room.

But, the 'promise' of having a Media Center on my XP machine keeps drawing me in. Smile

OK... If you want to help, realize that I am *not* Tablet; Pad; of Win8 oriented. WMC is a pain for me because of the graphics beased interface.

I am 60 I have been in computers and electronics since I was 17. And, sorry, Win 8 and tablet styles have left me far behind. Just so you'll know.

I'll need a little more detailed instructions than what I've seen to date.

I've thought about downloading xbmc-13.0-Gotham_alpha6... But, chickened out. Patience extremely limited lots of stress due to Furlough...

Mike (btw That should have been "Spiritual" in my screen name...)
Is the HDHomeRun Prime working fine in NextPVR itself?
To be Honest I have not tried. Will try... And, Get back to you shortly.
Yeah, you should definitely check it there first.
No NPVR does not appear to be Working.

When Attempting to start Live TV I get an "Unable to find available capture device" error.

The UI is set to "PVR"

Devices is showing nine instances (apparently) of My HD Homerun Prime. Three as HDHR (Enabled); Three as ATSC; Three as QAM

I have Windows Firewall off. But, I am running Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0 as 'Self Managed'. This means I cannot set any Firewall exceptions.

Recording Service was started without error messages.

All three of the HDHR's are showing 149 Channels.

I do not have an EPG set-up. Because I am not clear on how to get my trial Schedules Direct to work.

Appreciate your help.
Quote:Devices is showing nine instances (apparently) of My HD Homerun Prime. Three as HDHR (Enabled); Three as ATSC; Three as QAM
For the HDHomeRun Prime, you should be using the 'HDHR' versions.

The usual problem people have with the HDHomeRun is firewall getting in the way, meaning that no data ever makes it to NextPVR from the HDHR. I don't know anything about Symantec Endpoint Protection, but it sounds like it'd be just as capable of causing these sorts of problems as any other firewal. If you do a recording in NextPVR, and end up with a zero byte file, then it is almost certainly your Symantec firewall software getting in the way.
The Firewall Issue is hard to believe seeing that even Beyond TV can see the non-encrypted Channels from The HDHR.

Unfortunately, Beyond TV does not 'see' all the channels I am subscribed to.
(2013-08-12, 23:49)SoiritualMadMan Wrote: The Firewall Issue is hard to believe seeing that even Beyond TV can see the non-encrypted Channels from The HDHR.
Based on this being the reason for nearly every other HDHR user having problems, I'd say there is a good chance yours is going to be the same problem. We've also had a lot of people that were certain their firewall wasn't a problem, only to later find it was - so I'd recommend taking another look at this possibility.

Firewalls software typically stores firewall rules on a per app basis, so it's wouldn't surprise me if one app is able to get data from the device and another isn't.

Remember if NextPVR isn't receiving anything from your HDHR, then it's going to have nothing it can deliver to XBMC.
(2013-08-12, 21:31)SoiritualMadMan Wrote: No NPVR does not appear to be Working.

When Attempting to start Live TV I get an "Unable to find available capture device" error.

The UI is set to "PVR"

Devices is showing nine instances (apparently) of My HD Homerun Prime. Three as HDHR (Enabled); Three as ATSC; Three as QAM

I have Windows Firewall off. But, I am running Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0 as 'Self Managed'. This means I cannot set any Firewall exceptions.

Recording Service was started without error messages.

All three of the HDHR's are showing 149 Channels.

I do not have an EPG set-up. Because I am not clear on how to get my trial Schedules Direct to work.

Appreciate your help.
If you need NextPVR support you should ask their support channels.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Thanks, sub3, Unfortunately, when running SEP in Self-Managed there is no way to set exclusions or ports... I will turning on Windows Firewall, and disable SEP Network Protection. It will be next weekend before I will have time.

I did have an issue with the HDHomerun and SEP initially because, apparently, the HDHR send outs a *lot* of UDP's and it kept triggering a DOS attack disconnect! (UDP Flood)

? Flickr did you notice that the title of this sub-forum is NPVR? Did you read the entire thread before jumping in?

Perhaps, this was the wrong place to go... Perhaps I should just uninstall XBMC and NPVR and just use the HDHR Quick TV app?

Feeling unwelcome...
(2013-08-13, 02:38)SoiritualMadMan Wrote: ? Flickr did you notice that the title of this sub-forum is NPVR? Did you read the entire thread before jumping in?
I assume that was aimed at me (nickr). This subforum is for getting NextPVR's XBMC PVR addon working. That assumes a working NextPVR. While there may be some help available here for NextPVR (as opposed to the XBMC addon) you'd be more assured of help in NextPVR's own forums (or whatever support channels they have).
Quote:Perhaps, this was the wrong place to go... Perhaps I should just uninstall XBMC and NPVR and just use the HDHR Quick TV app?

Feeling unwelcome...
Please don't feel unwelcome, just trying to direct you to the best place for NextPVR help, as you will never get the XBC addon working until you do.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2013-08-13, 03:26)nickr Wrote: This subforum is for getting NextPVR's XBMC PVR addon working. That assumes a working NextPVR.

Interestingly, you don't need NextPVR fully working prior to getting the add on to work within XBMC

XBMC is an all-in-one download for a/v playback. NextPVR needs additional codecs if used with W8 for MPEG2 video and AC3 audio. You end up either obtaining the SAF pack from their forums, LAV, or some other choice to get NPVR to play live TV (at least using Comcast / HDHomerun Prime). XBMC works without setting up NPVR all the way for playback

(2013-08-13, 02:38)SoiritualMadMan Wrote: Perhaps I should just uninstall XBMC and NPVR and just use the HDHR Quick TV app?
If you want just a DVR, you should indeed either use NPVR or WMC as they work much better outside of XBMC as a DVR
Or mythtv...
FWIW, I just got this combination up and running last night. I had been using ArgusTV but everything stopped working yesterday when Comcast encrypted my channels. TV was still viewable within the HDHomerun viewer (VLC) but I kept getting a "Channel Scrambled" error from Argus (even after much troubleshooting including re-scanning, config changes, etc). I still don't know if Argus actually supports this.

Anyway, last night I installed NextPVR and I had it up and running with the HDHomerun Prime and XBMC 12.2 in a very short amount of time. Much easier config compared to Argus. I would definitely disable both of your firewalls (temporarily of course) to determine whether that is the issue. If that's the problem, then you will need to open a port (8866 by default) as well as grant exceptions for 4 of the executables in the NextPVR application directory: Nextpvr.exe, Nrecord.exe, Ntray.exe, NDigitalhost.exe. Then everything should work with the firewall on.

I have not attempted a recording yet, but Live TV seems to work well.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Newbie fails to get HDHR Prime; NPVR and 12.2 2 Work0